- Volume 14 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Case Analysis and Statistical Characteristics of a Railroad Weather-Related Accidents and Incidents each Railroad Line in the Korean Peninsula
노선별 철도기상사고의 통계적 특성 및 사례분석
- 박종길 (인제대학교 환경공학부 대기환경정보연구센터) ;
- 정우식 (인제대학교 대학원 대기환경정보공학과 대기환경정보연구센터) ;
- 이재수 (한국철도공사 부산경남본부, 마산기관차승무사업소) ;
- 김은별 (인제대학교 대학원 대기환경정보공학과 대기환경정보연구센터)
- Received : 2010.10.12
- Accepted : 2010.11.19
- Published : 2011.02.26
This paper aims to find out the statistical characteristics of railroad weather-related accidents and incidents of each railroad line and then reduce the railroad accidents and prepare for the climate change. For this, we used data of KROIS and Korea railroad accidents report during 1996-2008. The results are as follows; Gyeongbu line is the most vulnerable line to railroad weather-related accidents, Yeongdong and Taebaek line are also the vulnerable line. The main railroad weather-related accidents and incidents is a railway obstruction and the next is a signal failure, a power supply failure. The second cause of a railway obstruction was some different for each line, but the main cause was a collapsed roadbed. We knew that the cold front accompanied with a heavy rainfall for a short time is the main weather pattern which cause the railroad accidents.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- M.H. Shin, H.G. Kim, J.G. Kim (2003) Proposal of a railroad operating regulation standard during the rain for Korea train express safety operation, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 6(1), pp. 14-18.
- Korean National Railroad (KNR) (1999) History of Korea railroad 100 year, Korean National Railroad, pp. 1053.
- KORAIL (2008) Safety guide for railroad operation, Korea railroad Corporation. (2008. 7.)
- IPCC (2007) Climate Change 2007 : The Physical Science Basis, Summary for Policymakers, Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA., pp. 1-21.
- J.K. Park, B.S. Kim, W.S. Jung, E.B. Kim, et al. (2006) Change in Statistical Characteristics of Typhoon Affecting the Korean Peninsula, Korean Meteorological Society, Atmosphere, 16(1), pp. 1-17.
- KORAIL (2007) Cases of Railroad accidents report, 11, Korea railroad Corporation, pp. 350.
- KORAIL (2009) 2008 Korea railroad accidents report, Korea railroad Corporation, pp. 1-177.
- J.K. Park, W.S. Jung, M.K. Lee, H.M. Kim, et al. (2010) Pilot Study on the Statistical Characteristics of a Railroad weatherrelated Accidents and Incidents in Korea, J. of the Environmental Sciences, 19(7), pp. 917-929. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2010.19.7.917
- J.S. Lee (2010) Pilot Study on the Characteristics of a Railroad Accidents related to Weather Events in Korea, a master's Thesis, Inje University, pp. 122.
- M.A. Rossetti (2009) Analysis of weather events on U.S. Railroads, Proceedings of 89th International American Meteorological Society, 4A.2.
- S.A. Changnon (2006) Railroads and Weather, American Meteorological Society, Boston, Massachusetts, pp. 124.