- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Failure Mode Analysis and Friction Material Development of the KTX tread Brake
고속철도 제륜자 결함분석 및 제륜자 개발
- Received : 2011.01.19
- Accepted : 2011.03.28
- Published : 2011.04.26
The shoe brake of the KTX is used in low speed when the electric brake is not effective. The main purpose of the shoe brake is to stop the train to a desired stop point at the station. Lots of defects have been encountered in the shoe brake unit since the KTX started its operation. To improve the reliability of shoe brake unit of the KTX power car, first of all, failure modes of the KTX shoe brake unit were analyzed. Main failure modes are cracks in the shoe friction material and fracture in the welded joints of the shoe backing steel structure. Several methods to remove the defects of the shoe brake unit were proposed and on-board tests were carried out: Increase of the strength of the shoe key and shoe cam, which decreased a little the occurrence of cracks in the shoe friction material; Redesign of the shoe backing steel structure, which eliminated the occurrence of the cracks in the backing plate but could not solve completely the crack problem in the shoe friction material; Development of a new friction material, which with redesign of the shoe backing steel structure could solve satisfactorily the crack problem in the shoe friction material.
Supported by : 한국철도공사
- B.B. Kang, N.U. Baeg, K.S. Jang (1998) Experimental Analysis of Ceramic Coated Brake Discs for High Speed Train KSME Transactions A, 22, pp. 821-833.
- H.G. Gil, T.W. Ko, D.H. Cho, S.H. Han, S.I. Seo (2007) Compatibility Evaluation between NCM-CV Cast Iron Brake Disk and Various Pads, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 10, pp. 251-256.
- B.C. Goo, C.H. Lim (2008) Development of brake disk materials with Ni-Cr-Mo, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 11(2), pp. 184-194.
- S.H. Kim, Park, H.C. Park H.S. Lee (2009). Study of tribological characteristics between metallic friction materials and brake disk, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 12(1), pp. 72-80.
- B.J. Kwon, H.C. Chung, H.K. Kim (2002) A Study on stress distribution of Korean high speed train wheel at tread braking, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 5, pp. 167-173.
- MIL-STD-1629A, Procedures for performing a FMECA, 1983.