- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on Revising Train Departure Time for Reducing Electric Power Consumption
전력소비완화를 위한 전동열차 출발시간 조정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2010.11.17
- Accepted : 2011.02.17
- Published : 2011.04.26
This paper considers the problem of revising train departure time to reduce electric power consumption of mass rapid transit (MRT) railways. The motion of a train running between stations is divided into three phases: traction, coasting, and deceleration phases. The traction phase requires high electric power to operate MRT railways. In the coasting phase, the train moves stably by consuming little or no power. The deceleration phase is a braking mode and produces some electric power called regenerated brake power owing to inertia force for the train generated In the traction and coasting phases. The regenerative energy can be used by other accelerating trains within a specific range from the train and thereby the power consumptions of train can be reduced. We developed a mixed integer programming model to solve the problem. To validate the suggested model, a computational experiment was conducted using real data from Korea Metropolitan Subway.
- M.S. Han, J.R. Kim, J.W. Kim, K.M. Kim (2009) Energy efficiency improvement on the railway system, Korea Railroad Research Institute.
- S.P. Gordon, D.G. Lehrer (1998) Coordinated train control and energy management control strategies, Proceedings of ASME/IEEE Joint Railroad Conference, pp. 165-176.
- T. Albrecht (2004) Reducing power peaks and energy consumption in rail transit systems by simultaneous train running time control, Computers in Railways IX, WIT Press, Southampton, pp. 885-894.
- J.F. Chen, R.L. Lin, Y.C Liu (2005) Optimization of an MRT trains schedule: reducing maximum traction power by using genetic algorithms, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 20(3), pp. 1366-1372. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.851939
- K.M. Kim, S.M. Oh (2009) A model and approaches for smoothing peaks of traction energy in timetabling, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 12(6), pp. 1018-1023.
- K.M. Kim, S.M. Oh, M.S. Han (2010) A mathematical approach for reducing the maximum traction energy: the case of Korean MRT trains, Proceedings of the International Multi-Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists, 3, pp. 2169-2173, Hong Kong, China.
- K.T. Kim, K.M. Kim (2010) An optimization for reducing maximum traction power of MRT railways: a case study of Seoul Metro line 4, Proceedings of the Conference of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Dongguk University, Seoul.
- A Study on Determining Economical Speed of Diesel Freight Locomotive vol.15, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2012.15.3.294