- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Policy Measures for Amending the Modal Shift Grant Scheme in Korea
철도물류활성화를 위한 모달쉬프트 보조금제도 발전방향
- Received : 2010.12.31
- Accepted : 2011.03.23
- Published : 2011.04.26
Korean government has introduced the modal shift grant scheme in July 2010 to help the competitiveness of carriage of rail freight and awarded a grant to private companies shifting mode of transportation from road to rail in the carriage of freight: the additional costs incurred in the modal shift are supported by the government. However, there arise needs for the amendment of the modal shift grant scheme. This study reviewed the modal shift grant schemes of foreign countries, such as EU, UK and Japan, and drew implications. Furthermore, this study suggested the future directions of the modal shift grant scheme from the respects of the maximization of the effects of the grant scheme, continual rail use of existing rail freight, and justification of the grant scheme. Finally, policy measures amending the existing modal shift grant scheme were suggested.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (1990-2009) Statistical Yearbook of MLTM.
- KORAIL (2010) Accounting Report of KORAIL for the year of 2009.
- Korea Environment Institute (2002) A Comparative Study on the Environmental Aspects of the Surface Transportation.
- B.V. Wee, P. Janse, R.V.D. Brink (2005) Comparing Energy use and Environmental Performance of Land Transport Models, Transport Reviews.
- ECMT (1996) Towards fair and efficient pricing in transport.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2001) Macroeconomic Analysis of Transport Environment Policies including the Reduction of the Green House Gas.
- Marco Polo Program (http://ec.europa.eu/transport/marcopolo/)
- Commission of the European Communities (2008) Impact Assessment of Marco Polo Program (Commission Staff Working Document).
- Department for Transport (2006) Guide to Freight Facilities Grant in England.
- Department for Transport (2006) Rail Environmental Benefit Procurement Scheme.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (2009) Internal Source.
- The Korea Transport Institute (2009) Estimation of Transportation Accident Cost for the year of 2007.
- The Korea Transport Institute (2008) Estimation of Transportation Congestion Cost for the year of 2007.
- The Korea Transport Institute (2009) Survey of National Transportation Demand and Construction of Database for the year of 2008 (Survey of Transportation Congestion Cost and Internal & External Costs).
- J.S. Mun (2009) Support Measures for Domestic Rail Freight Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 13(1), pp. 151-160.