- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Structural Damage Detection by Using the Time-Reversal Process of Lamb Waves and the Imaging Method
Lamb파의 시간-반전과정 및 이미지기법을 이용한 손상탐지
- Received : 2011.03.17
- Accepted : 2011.05.16
- Published : 2011.08.26
This paper proposes a baseline-free SHM technique in which the time-reversal process of Lamb waves and the imaging method are used. The proposed SHM technique has three distinct features when compared with the authors' previously proposed one: (1) It use the reconstructed signal for damage diagnosis, without need to extract the damage signal as the difference between reconstructed signal and initial input signal; (2) It use the imaging method based on the time-offlight information from the reconstructed signal, instead of using a pattern comparison method; (3) In order to make the damage image more clear, the modified mathematical definition of damage image in a pixel is used. The proposed SHM technique is evaluated through the damage detection experiment for an aluminum plate with damage at different locations.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- R.J. Hansen, D.L. Hall, S.K. Kurtz (1995) A new approach to the challenge of machinery prognostics, Journal of Engineering Gas Turbines and Power, 117, pp. 320-325. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2814097
- D. Montalvao, N.M.M. Maia, A.M.R. Ribeiro (2006) A review of vibration-based structural health monitoring with special emphasis on composite materials, The Shock and Vibration, 38(4), pp. 295-324. https://doi.org/10.1177/0583102406065898
- A. Raghavan, C.E.S. Cesnick (2007) Review of guided-wave structural health monitoring, The Shock and Vibration, 32(2), pp. 91-114.
- H.W. Park, H. Sohn, K.H. Law, C.R. Farrar (2007) Time reversal active sensing for health monitoring of a composite plate, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 302, pp. 50-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2006.10.044
- H. Sohn, H.W. Park, K.H. Law, C.R. Farrar (2007) Damage detection in composite plates by using an enhanced time reversal method, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 20(3), pp. 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0893-1321(2007)20:3(141)
- H. Sohn, H.W. Park, K.H. Law, C.R. Farrar (2007) Combination of time reversal process and a comsecutive outlier analysis for base-line free damage diagnosis, Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 18(7), pp. 335-346.
- M. Fink (1992) Time reversal of ultrasonic fields-part E: basic principles, IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics Ferroeletrics and Frequency Control, 39(5), pp. 555-566. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.156174
- C.H. Wang, J.T. Rose, F.K. Chang (1998) A synthetic timereversal imaging method for structural health monitoring, Smart Materials & Structures, 13, pp. 415-423.
- I.A. Viktorov (1967) Rayleigh and lamb waves: physical theory and applications, Plenum Press, NY.
- H. Ko, U. Lee (2009) A guided wave-based structural damage detection method for structural health monitoring, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 12(3), pp. 412-419.
- U. Lee, J. Choi (2010) Structural damage diagnosis method by using the time-reversal property of guided waves, Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, 27(6), pp. 64-74.
- G.B. Santoni, L. Yu, B. Xu, V. Giurgiutiu (2007) Lamb wavemode tuning of piezoelectric wafer active sensors for structural health monitoring, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 129, pp. 752-762. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2748469
- J.B. Ihn, F.K. Chang (2008) Pitch-catch active sensing methods in structural health monitoring for aircraft structures, Structural Health Monitoring, 7(1), pp. 5-15. https://doi.org/10.1177/1475921707081979
- S.R. Anton (2008) Baseline-free self-powered structural health monitoring, MS Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- H. Sohn, G. Park, J.R. Wait, N.P. Limback, C.R. Farrar (2004) Wavelet-based active sensing for delamination detection in composite structures, Smart Materials and Structures, 13, pp. 153-160. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/13/1/017
- G. Strang, T. Nguyen (1997) Wavelets and filter banks, Wellesley-Cambridge Press, Wellesley, MA.