- Volume 12 Issue 1
This study investigates the efficacy and coping strategies of Home Economics teachers in secondary schools. Data were collected from 75 Home Economics teachers via a mailed survey and from 282 Home Economics teachers via an online survey. Descriptive statistics including frequency, percentage, average, and standard deviation; in addition, the ANOVA, t-test, multiple linear regression, and correlation results were reported using SPSS statistics 17.0. The results were as follows: First, the average Home Economics teachers efficacy level was 3.82 out of 5-point Likert scale. The efficacy level of learning assistance was the highest. The composite efficacy of Home Economics teachers showed a significant difference depending on the major. Second, the averages of the positive and negative coping strategy level of Home Economics teachers were 3.54 and 2.03, respectively. Third, the efficacy of instructional strategy out of the five components of efficacy was the most influential to the positive coping strategy. There was no significant relationship between teacher efficacy and the negative strategy.
teacher efficacy;coping strategy;Home Economics teacher
- Allinder, R. M. (1994). The relationship between efficacy and the instructional practices of special education teachers and consultants. Teacher Education and Special Education, 17, 86-95. https://doi.org/10.1177/088840649401700203
- Ashton, P. T., & Webb, R. B. (1986). Making a difference: Teachers' sense of efficacy and student achievement. New York: Longman.
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review, 84(2), 191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Choi, Y. (2006). Correlation of between home economics teacher's viewpoint about curriculum and teacher efficacy. Unpublished Master's thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Fox, C. K. (2001). Teacher efficacy, professional development, professional practices, and critical science-based FCS curriculum implementation. Unpublished Dissertation, The Ohio State University. Columbus, OH.
- Goddard, R. D., Hoy, W. K., & Hoy, A. W. (2000). Collective teacher efficacy: Its meaning, measure, and impact on student achievement, American Educational Research Journal, 37(2), 479-507. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312037002479
- Guskey, T. R. (1988). Teacher efficacy, self-concept, and attitudes toward the implementation of instructional innovation. Teaching and Teacher Education. 4(1), 63-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(88)90025-X
- Hall, L. D. (1997). Predictors of personal teaching efficacy and locus of control of Ohm Family and Consumer Sciences teachers. Unpublished Dissertation, The Ohio State University. Columbus, OH.
- Henson, R., Kogan, L. R., & Vaeha-Haase, T. (2001). A reliability generalization study of the teacher efficacy scale and related instruments. Educational and Psychobgical Measurement, 61(3), 404-420. https://doi.org/10.1177/00131640121971284
- Hoy, A. W. & Spero, R. B. (2005). Changes in teacher efficacy during the early years of teaching: A comparison of four measures. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21, 323-356.
- Kim, H. (1999). A study on the factors influencing middle manager's professional stress in social welfare: Centered on coping strategies, self-esteem, effects of social support influencing on professional stress. Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University.
- Kim, Y. (2004). The types of teacher efficacy among secondary school home economics teachers and the related variables. Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University.
- Lee, J. (2007). Teacher efficacy and job satisfaction of Home Economics teachers, Unpublished Master's thesis, Chung-Ang University.
- Riggs, I., & Enochs, L. (1990). Toward the development of an elementary teacher's science teaching efficacy belief instrument. Science Education, 74(6), 625-638. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730740605
- Roberts, D. K. (1999). Partial and Part Correlation Coefficients: Formula and Score Regression Perspectives. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Southwest Educational Research Association (San Antonio, TX, January 21-23, 1999).
- Tschannen-Moran, M., & Hoy, A. W. (2001). Teacher efficacy: Capturing and elusive construct. Teaching and Teacher Education, 17, 783-805. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(01)00036-1