- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A New Resonance Prediction Method of Fabry-Perot Cavity (FPC) Antennas Enclosed with Metallic Side Walls
- Kim, Dong-Ho (Department of Electronic Engineering, Sejong University) ;
- Yeo, Jun-Ho (School of Computer & Communication Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2011.05.27
- Published : 2011.09.30
We have proposed a new method to accurately predict the resonance of Fabry-Perot Cavity (FPC) antennas enclosed with conducting side walls. When lateral directions of an FPC antenna are not blocked with metallic walls, the conventional technique is accurate enough to predict the resonance of the FPC antenna. However, when the FPC antenna has side walls, especially for case with only a short distance between the walls, the conventional prediction method yields an inaccurate result, inevitably requiring a tedious, time-consuming tuning process to determine the correct resonant height to provide the maximum antenna gain in a target frequency band using three-dimensional full-wave computer simulations. To solve that problem, we have proposed a new resonance prediction method to provide a more accurate resonant height calculation of FPC antennas by using the well-known resonance behavior of a rectangular resonant cavity. For a more physically insightful explanation of the new prediction formula, we have reinvestigated our proposal using a wave propagation characteristic in a hollow rectangular waveguide, which clearly confirms our approach. By applying the proposed technique to an FPC antenna covered with a partially reflecting superstrate consisting of continuously tapered meander loops, we have proved that our method is very accurate and readily applicable to various types of FPC antennas with lateral walls. Experimental result confirms the validness of our approach.
- D. Kim, J. Choi, "Analysis of antenna gain enhancement with a new planar metamaterial superstrate: en effective medium and a Fabry-Perot resonance approach," J. Infrared Milli. Terahz Waves, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1289-1303, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10762-010-9712-2
- N. Guerin, S. Enoch, G. Tayeb. P. Sabouroux, P. Vincent, and H. Legay, "A metallic fabry-perot directive antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 220-224, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2005.861578
- E. Rodes, M. Diblanc, E. Arnaud, T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "Dual-band EBG resonator antenna using a single-layer FSS," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 6, pp. 368-371, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2007.902808
- A. Pirhadi, M. Hakkak, F. Keshmiri, and R. K. Bae, "Design of compact dual band high directive electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) resonator antenna using artificial magnetic conductor," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 1682-1690, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.898598
- A. P. Feresidis, J. C. Vardaxoglou, "High gain planar antenna using optimised partially reflecting surfaces," IEE Proc Microwave Antennas Propag., vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 345-350, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-map:20010828
- G. V. Trentini, "Partially reflecting sheet arrays," IRE Trans Antennas Propag., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 666-671, 1956. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1956.1144455
- A. Ourir, S. N. Burokur, and A. Lustrac, "Bidimensional phase-varying metamaterial for steering beam antenna," Proc. of SPIE, vol. 6581, p. 65810R, 2007.
- Y. J. Lee, J. Yeo, R. Mittra, and W. S. Park, "Application of electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) superstrates with controllable defects for a class of patch antennas as spatial angular filters," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 224-235, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.840521
- H. Boutayeb, T. A. Denidni, "Internally excited Fabryperot type cavity power normalization and directivity evaluation," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Letts., vol. 5, pp. 159-162, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2006.873944
- G. K. Palikaras, A. P. Feresidis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Cylindrical electromagnetic bandgap structures for directive base station antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Letts., vol. 3, pp. 87-89, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2004.830007
- D. Kim, J. Ju, and J. Choi, "A broadband Fabryperot cavity antenna designed using an improved resonance prediction method," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lettes., vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 1065-1069, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.25898
- C. A. Balanis, Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.
- High-gain waveguide slot antenna using simple parasitic patch's cover 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.21180
- A High-Gain Wideband Antenna With Frequency Selective Side Reflectors Operating in an Anti-Resonant Mode vol.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2014.2363199
- Design of a Low-Profile, High-Gain Fabry-Perot Cavity Antenna for Ku-Band Applications vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2014.14.3.306