- Volume 6 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Wide-area Frequency-based Tripped Generator Locating Method for Interconnected Power Systems
- Kook, Kyung-Soo (Department of Electrical Engineering, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Liu, Yilu (Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Tennessee)
- Received : 2010.11.04
- Accepted : 2011.02.15
- Published : 2011.11.01
Since the Internet-based real-time Global Positioning System(GPS) synchronized widearea power system frequency monitoring network (FNET) was proposed in 2001, it has been monitoring the power system frequency in interconnected United States power systems and numerous interesting behaviors have been observed, including frequency excursion propagation. We address the consistency of a frequency excursion detection order of frequency disturbance recorders in FNET in relation to the same generation trip, as well as the ability to recreate by power systems dynamic simulation. We also propose a new method, as an application of FNET measurement, to locate a tripped generator using power systems dynamic simulation and wide-area frequency measurement. The simulation database of all the possible trips of generators in the interconnected power systems is created using the off-line power systems dynamic simulation. When FNET detects a sudden drop in the monitoring frequency, which is most likely due to a generation trip in power systems, the proposed algorithm locates a tripped generator by finding the best matching case of the measured frequency excursion in the simulation database in terms of the frequency drop detection order and the time of monitoring points.
Supported by : NRF
- B. Qiu, L. Chen, V.A. Centeno, X. Dong, Y. Liu: 'Internet Based Frequency Monitoring Network (FNET)', IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Jan.28-Feb.1 2001, Vol. 3. pp. 1166-1171.
- Zhian Zhong, Chunchun Xu, Bruce J. Billian, Li Zhang, Shu-Jen Steven Tsai, Richard W. Conners, Virgilio A. Centeno, Arun G. Phadke, Yilu Liu: 'Power System Frequency Monitoring Network (FNET) Implementation', IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2005, Vol. 20, No.4, pp. 1914-1921. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.857386
- Yilu Liu: 'A US-wide power systems frequency monitoring network', IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, June 18-22 2006.
- http://www.powerit.vt.edu/, accessed January 2007
- M. Parashar, J. S. Thorp, and C. E. Seyler: 'Continuum modeling of electromechanical dynamics in large-scale power systems', IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems I-Fundamental Theory & Applications, vol. 51, pp. 1848-1858, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2004.834480
- J. S. Thorp, C. E. Seyler, and A. G. Phadke: 'Electromechanical wave propagation in large electric power systems', IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems I-Fundamental Theory & Applications, 1998, vol. 45, pp. 614-622. https://doi.org/10.1109/81.678472
- Tsai S.S., Li Zhang, Phadke A.G., Yilu Liu, Ingram M.R., Bell S.C., Grant I.S., Bradshaw D.T., Lubkeman D., Tang, L.: 'Study of Global Frequency Dynamc Behavior of Large Power System', IEEE Power System Conference and Exposition, Vol. 1, Oct. 10-13, 2004, pp. 328-335.
- Shu-Jen Steven Tsai: 'Study of Global Power System Frequency Behavior Based on Simulations and FNET Measurements', PhD dissertation, Virginia Tech., 2005
- Kyung Soo Kook, Yilu Liu, Min Jae Bang: 'Study on the Global Behavior of Power System Frequency in Korean Power System for the application of FNET', IET Generation, Transmission, and Distribution, 2008,9, Vol. 2, Issue 5, pp.764-774 https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20070111
- Robert Matthew Gardner: 'Conditioning of FNET data and Triangulation of Generator Trips in the Eastern Interconnected System', M.S. thesis, Virginia Tech., 2005.
- Jingyuan Dong, Jian Zuo, Lei Wang, Kyung Soo Kook, Il-Yop Chung, Yilu Liu: 'Analysis of Power System Disturbances Based on Wide-Area Frequency Measurements' IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 24-28 June, 2007.
- Jason N. Bank, R. Matthew Gardner, Shu-Jen Steven Tsai, Kyung Soo Kook, Yilu Liu: 'Visualization of Wide-Area Frequency Measurement Information', IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 24-28 June, 2007.
- Tao Xia, Hengxu Zhang, Robert Gardner, Jason Bank, Jingyuan Dong, Jian Zuo, Yilu Liu, Lisa Beard, Peter Hirsch, Guorui Zhang, Rick Dong: 'Wide-area Frequency Based Event Location Estimation', IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, June 24-28, 2007
- Jian Zuo, Mark Baldwin, Hengxu Zhang, Jingyuan Dong, Kyung Soo Kook, Yilu Liu: 'Use of Frequency Oscillations to Improve Event Location Estimation in Power Systems', IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 24-28 June, 2007.
- Yilu Liu: 'Wide-area Frequency Based Event Location Estimation' (Final report to EPRI and TVA, Oct. 2006)
- Kyung Soo kook: 'Dynamic Model Based Novel Findings in Power System Analysis and Frequency Measurements Verifications', Ph.D. dissertation, Virginia Tech., 2007
- P.M. Anderson, A.A. Fouad: 'Power System Control and Stability' (IEEE PRESS, 1993)
- P. Kundur: 'Power system stability and control' (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994)
- Multiple Event Detection and Recognition Through Sparse Unmixing for High-Resolution Situational Awareness in Power Grid vol.5, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2314116