- Volume 16 Issue 5
The goal of total knee replacement (TKR) surgery is to replace patient's knee joint with artificial implants in order to restore normal knee joint functions. Since mismatched knee implants often cause a critical balancing problem and short durability, designing a well-fitted implant to a patient's knee joint is essential to improve surgical outcomes. We developed a software system that three-dimensionally (3D) simulates TKR surgery based upon 3D knee models reconstructed from computed tomography (CT) imaging. The main task of the system was to extract precise 3D anatomical parameters of a patient's knee that were directly used to determine a custom fit implant and to virtually perform TKR surgery. The virtual surgery was simulated by amputating a 3D knee model and positioning the determined implant components on the amputated knee. The test result shows that it is applicable to derive surgical parameters, determine individualized implant components, rehearse the whole surgical procedure, and train medical staff or students for actual TKR surgery. The feasibility and verification of the proposed system is described with examples.
Supported by : 세종대학교
- Seo, J. W. and Jun, Y., "Extracting 3D Geometry Parameters of Hip Joints for Designing a Custom- Made Hip Implant," Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 200-208, 2008.
- Barrett, W. P., "The Need for Gender-specific Prostheses in TKA: Does Size Make a Difference?," Orthopedics, Vol. 29, pp. 53-55, 2006.
- Conley, S., Rosenberg, A. and Crowninshield, R., "The Female Knee: Anatomic Variations," Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Vol. 15, pp. 31-36, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200700001-00009
- Klatt, B. A., Goyal, N., Austin, M. S. and Hozack, W. J., "Custom-Fit Total Knee Arthroplasty (OtisKnee) Results in Malalignment," Journal of Arthroplasty, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 26-29, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2007.10.001
- Park, S., Yoon, Y. S., Kim, L. H., Lee, S. H. and Han, M., "Virtual Knee Joint Replacement Surgery System," GMAI 2007: Proceedings of the Geometric Modeling and Imaging, pp. 79-84, 2007.
- Ahn, S. J., Least Squares Orthogonal Distance Fitting of Curves and Surfaces in Space [doctoral dissertation], the University of Stuttgart, 2004.
- Philip, J. S. and David, H. E., Geometric Tools for Computer Graphics, Morgan Kaufmann, pp. 534-546, 2003.
- Wehmoller, M., Warnke, P. H., Zilian, C. and Eufinger, H., "Implant Design and Production - A New Approach by Selective Laser Melting," Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS) 2005, pp. 690-695, 2005.