- Volume 35 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Fatigue Crack Propagation and Fatigue Life Evaluation of High-Performance Steel using Modified Forman Model
수정 Forman 모델을 이용한 고성능 강재의 피로균열전파와 피로수명평가
- Received : 2010.12.13
- Accepted : 2011.09.07
- Published : 2011.11.01
Fatigue crack propagation behavior and the fatigue life in-high performance steel were investigated by means of fatigue crack propagation tests under constant loading conditions of 'R=0.1 and f=0.1 Hz', 'R=0.3 and f=0.3 Hz', and 'R=0.5 and f=0.5 Hz' for the load ratio and frequency, respectively. A modified Forman model was developed to describe the fatigue crack propagation behavior for the conditions. The modified Forman model is applicable to all fatigue crack propagation regions I, II, and III by implementing the threshold stress intensity factor range and the effective stress intensity factor range caused by crack closure. The results show that predicted fatigue lives of Forman and modified Forman models were 8,814 and 12,292 cycles, respectively when the crack propagated approximately 5.0 mm and the load ratio and frequency were both 0.1. Comparison of the test results indicates that the modified Forman model showed much more effective fatigue crack propagation behavior in high-performance steel.
Fatigue Crack Propagation;Fatigue Life Evaluation;Crack Closure Phenomenon
- Yoon, J. H., and Yang, Y. S., 1994, "Stochastic Fatigue Crack Propagation," Handbook of Fatigue Crack Propagation in Metallic Structures 1, Elsvier, Amsterdam, pp. 515-549.
- Yang, J. N., Salivar, G. C. and Annis, Jr., C. G., 1983, "Statistical Modeling of Fatigue Crack Growth in a Nickel-Based Super alloy," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 257-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(83)90137-6
- Shim, D. S., and Kim, J. K., 1998, "A stochastic Analysis on Variation of Fatigue Crack Propagation due to Thickness Effect," Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 22, No. 8, pp. 1523-1532.
- Paris, P. C., and Erdogan, F., 1963, "A Critical Analysis of Crack Propagation Laws," Journal of Basic Engineering; Transaction, Series D, Vol. 85, pp. 528-534. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3656900
- Walker, E. K., 1970, "The Effect of Stress Ratio during Crack Propagation and Fatigue for 2024-T3 and 7076-T6 Aluminum. In: Effect of Environment and Complex Load History on Fatigue Life," ASTM STP 462, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, pp. 1-14.
- McEvily, A. J., 1974, "Phenomenological and Microstructural Aspects of Fatigue," Transaction of the Third International Conference on the Strength of Metals and Alloys, Vol. 6, pp. 204-213.
- Dowling, N. E., and Begley, J. A., 1976, "Fatigue Crack Growth during Gross Plasticity and the JIntegral. Mechanics of Crack Growth," ASTM STP 590, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, pp. 82-105.
- Anderson, T. L., 1995, "Fracture Mechanics," CRC Press, Inc., Florida, pp. 513-528.
- Hertzberg, R. W., 1989, "Deformation and Fracture of Engineering Metals," John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 102-118.
- Starke, E. A., and Williams, J. C., 1989, "Microstructure and the Fracture Mechanics of Fatigue Crack Propagation," ASTM STP 1020, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, pp. 184-205.
- Forman, R. G., 1972, "Study of Fatigue Crack initiation form Flaws using Fracture Mechanics Theory," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(72)90048-3
- Hartman, A., and Schijve, J., 1970, "The Effects of Environment and Load Frequency on the Crack Propagation Law for Macro Fatigue Crack Growth in Aluminum Alloys," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 615-631. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(70)90003-2
- Wheeler, O.E., 1972, "Spectrum Loading and Crack Growth," J. Basic Eng., Trans. ASME, Vol. D94, No. 1, pp. 181-186.
- Willenborg, J., Engle, R.M., Wood, H.A., 1971, "A Crack Growth Retardation Model Using an Effective Stress Concept," AFFDL TM-71-1-FBR, January.
- Elber, W., 1970, "Fatigue Crack Closure under Cyclic Tension," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 2, pp. 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(70)90028-7
- Gomez, M. P., Ernst, H., and, Vazquez, J., 1976, "On the Validity of Elber's Results on Fatigue Crack Closure for 2024-T3 Aluminum," International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 12, pp. 178-180.
- Clerivet, A., and Bathias, C., 1979, "Study of Crack Tip Opening under Cyclic Loading Taking into Account the Environment and R Ratio," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 12, pp. 599-611. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(79)90100-0
- Schijve, J., 1981, "Some Formulas for the Crack Opening Stress Level," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 14, pp. 461-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-7944(81)90034-5
- Lee, H. J., Kang, J. Y., Choi, B. I., Kim, J. Y, 2003, "A Comparative Study of Methods to Predict Fatigue Crack Growth under Random Loading," Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 27, No. 10, pp. 1785-1792.
- Bannantine, J. A., Comer, J. J., and Handrock, J. L., 1990, "Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis," Prentice Hall, Inc., New Jersey, p. 112.
Supported by : 포항산업과학연구원