- Volume 35 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effect of Strain Rate and Material Hardness on Residual Stress in Multiple Impact Shot Peening
다중충돌 쇼트피닝에서 변형률 속도와 소재 경도가 잔류응력에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Received : 2010.12.14
- Accepted : 2011.08.11
- Published : 2011.11.01
Shot ball impacts to materials cause residual compressive stress on their surfaces. Improving the fatigue strength of a material that has this residual compress stress is the purpose of the shot peening process. A numerical study was performed to evaluate the effect of the strain rate sensitivity and hardness of the shot ball on the residual compressive stress. We calculated the residual compressive stress due to multiple impact shot peening using ABAQUS 6.9-1. AISI 4340 steel was the material used in this study. We compared the effects of high strain rate sensitivities and low strain rate sensitivities and found that when the material's sensitivity to the strain rate increased, the residual compressive stress decreased. In addition, the residual compressive stress of low-hardness material is higher than that of high-hardness material.
Shot Peening;Residual Compressive Stress;Strain Rate Sensitivity;Finite Element Method
- Park, K.-D. and Jin, Y.-B., 2004, "The Effect of Compressive Residual Stress on Fatigue Fracture of the Spring steel," Trans. of the KSME,, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 79-85.
- Menig, R., Pintschovius, L., Schulze, V. and Vöhringer, O., 2001, "Depth Profiles of Macro Residual Stress in Thin Shot Peened Plates Determined by X-ray and Neutron Diffraction," Scr. Mater., Vol. 45, pp. 977-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(01)01063-6
- Wick., A., Schulze, V. and Vohringer, O., 2000, "Effects of Warm Peening on Fatigue Life and Relaxation Behavior of Residual Stresses in AISI 4140 Steel," Mater. Sci. Eng., A., Vol. 293, pp. 191-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(00)01035-2
- Meo, M., and Vignjevic, R., 2003, "Finite Element Analysis of Residual Stress Induced by Shot Peening Process," Adv. Eng. Softw., Vol. 34, pp. 569-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(03)00063-2
- Barrios, D. B., Angelo, E. and Goncalves, E., 2005, "Finite Element Shot Peening Simulation for Residual Stress. Analysis and Comparison with Experimental Results," Mech. Computational., Vol. 14, pp. 113-121.
- Schiffner, K., Drostegen, C. and Helling, 1999, "Simulation of Residual Stresses by Shot Peening," Comput. Struct., Vol. 72, pp. 329-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00012-7
- Bhuvaraghan, B., Srinivasan, S. M., Maffeo, B. and Prakash, O., 2010, "Analytical Solution for Single and Multiple Impacts with Strain-rate Effects for Shot Peening," CMES, Vol. 1550, No.1, pp.1-22.
- Guaglliano, M., 2001, "Relating Almen Intensity to Residual Stresses Induced by Shot Peening: Anumerical Approach," J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 110, pp. 277-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00893-1
- Meguid, S.A., Shagal, G. and Stranart, J.C., 2002, "3D FE Analysis of Peening of Strain-Rate Sensitive Materials Using Multiple Impingement Model," Int. J. Impact Eng., Vol. 27, pp.119-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(01)00043-4
- Meguid, S.A., Shagal, G., Stranart, J.C. and Daly, J., 1999. "Three-Dimensional Dynamic Finite Element Analysis of Shot-Pening Induced Residual Stresses," Finite Elem. Anal. Des., Vol. 31, pp.179-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(98)00057-2
- Meguid, S.A., Shagal, G. and Stranart, J.C., 1999, "Finite Element Modeling of Shot-Peening Residual Stresses," J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 92-93, pp. 401-404.
- Kim, T., Lee, J. H., Lee, H. and Cheong, S.-k., 2010, "An Area-Average Approach to Peening Residual Stress Under Multi-Impacts Using a Three- Dimensional Symmetry-Cell Finite Element Model with Plastic Shots," Mater. Des., Vol. 31, pp. 50-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.07.032
- Kim, T., Lee, W.-B., Oh, Y. T. and Lee, Y., 2009,"The Effect of Shot Peening Cycle on Residual Stress Distribution," Proc. Kor. Soc. Tech. Plast. Conf,, pp. 52-56.
- Kim, T. and Lee, H., 2008, "A 3D FEA Model with Plastic Shots for Evaluation of Peening Residual Stress due to Multi-Impact," Trans. Kor. Soc. Mech. Eng.,Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 642-653. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.8.642
- Premack, T. and Douglas, A. S., 1995, "Three- Dimensional Analysis of The Impact Fracture of 4340 Steel," Int. J. Solids Struct, Vol. 32, No. 17-18, pp. 2793-2812. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(94)00295-8
- Wall, O., 2002, "Numerical Modeling of Fracture Initiation in Large Steel Specimens at Impact," Eng. Fract. Mech., Vol. 69, pp. 851-863. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(01)00112-6
- Effects of Shot Peening Projection Pressure on Electrochemical Characteristics of ALBC3 Alloy in Seawater vol.47, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5695/JKISE.2014.47.1.025