- Volume 24 Issue 5
A linear regression method is commonly used to analyze data because of its simplicity and applicability; however, it is well known that data may contain some outliers and influential cases that may have a harmful effect on a statistical analysis. Thus detection and examination of outliers or influential cases are important parts of data analysis. In detecting multiple outliers, masking effects usually occur and make it difficult to identify the true outliers. We propose to use dynamic plots as a method resistant to masking effect. The procedure using dynamic plots is useful to find appropriate basic sets with which a dependent outliers detection method start and detect a true outliers set. Examples are given to demonstrate the effectiveness of the suggested idea.
Dynamic graphics;linear regression model;outliers;residual plots
- Atkinson, A. C. (1994). Fast very robust methods for the detection of multiple outliers, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 89, 1329-1339. https://doi.org/10.2307/2290995
- Gentleman, J. F. and Wilk, M. B. (1975). Detecting outliers II: Supplementing the direct analysis of residuals, Biometrics, 31, 387-410. https://doi.org/10.2307/2529428
- Hadi, A. S. and Simonoff, J. S. (1993). Procedures for the identification of multiple outliers in linear models, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 88, 1264-1272. https://doi.org/10.2307/2291266
- Jajo, N. K. (2005). A review of Robust regression an diagnostic procedures in linear regression, Acta Mathematicae Applicatae Sinica, 21, 209-224. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10255-005-0230-2
- Kianifard, F. and Swallow, W. H. (1989). Using recursive residuals, calculated on adaptive-ordered observations, to identify outliers in linear regression, Biometrics, 45, 571-885. https://doi.org/10.2307/2531498
- Kianifard, F. and Swallow, W. H. (1990). A Monte Carlo comparison of five procedures for identifying outliers in linear regression, Communications in Statistics, 19, 1913-1938. https://doi.org/10.1080/03610929008830300
- Marasinghe, M. G. (1985). A multistage procedure for detecting several outliers in linear regression, Technometrics, 27, 395-399. https://doi.org/10.2307/1270206
- Paul, S. R. and Fung, K. Y. (1991). A Generalized extreme studentized residual multiple-outlier-detection procedure in linear regression, Technometrics, 33, 339-348. https://doi.org/10.2307/1268785
- Pena, D. and Yohai, V. J. (1999). A fast procedure for outlier diagnostics in linear regression problems, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 94, 434-445. https://doi.org/10.2307/2670164
- Rousseeuw, P. J. and Zomeren, B. C. (1990). Unmasking multivariate outliers and leverage points, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 85, 633-639. https://doi.org/10.2307/2289995
- Tierney, L. (1990). Lisp-Stat, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
Supported by : 건국대학교