- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Sliding Wear Behavior of AISI 52100 Steel with Pearlitic and Bainitic Microstructures
미세조직 변화에 따른 AISI 52100 강의 미끄럼마멸 특성
- Received : 2011.08.05
- Accepted : 2011.10.19
- Published : 2011.11.01
Dry sliding wear behavior of AISI 52100 steel that has a pearlite or bainite microstructure was characterized to explore the effect of microstructure on the wear of the steel. Isothermal heat treatments were employed to obtain the different microstructures. Pin-on-disk type wear tests of the steel disk were performed at loads of 25~125N in air against an alumina ball. Sliding speed and wear distance used were 0.1m/sec and 300m, respectively. Worn surfaces, wear debris and cross-sections of the worn surfaces were examined with SEM to investigate the wear mechanism of the steel. Hardness of the steel was also evaluated. Wear rate of the steel was correlated with the hardness and the microstructure. On the whole, wear resistance increased with an increase in hardness. However, the pearlite microstructure showed superior wear resistance as compared to the bainite microstructure with a similar hardness. The effect of the microstructure on the wear rate was attributed to the morphological differences of the carbide in the microstructure, which was found to have a significant effect on strain hardening during the wear.
- R. G. Bayer, 1994, Mechanical Wear Prediction and Prevention, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 1-3.
- K. H. Zum Gahr, 1987, Microstructure and Wear of Materials, Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 393-397.
- H. S. Yu, S. K. Yi, D. H. Shin, Y. S. Kim, 2007, Sliding Wear Mechanism of Ultra-fine Grained Low Carbon Dual Phase Steel as a Function of Applied Load, Trans. Mater. Process.,Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 299 - 303. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2007.16.4.299
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Yu, D. H. Shin, 2009, Low Sliding-wear Resistance of Ultrafine-grained Al Alloys and Steel undergone Severe Plastic Deformation, Int. J. Mater. Res., Vol. 100, No. 6, pp. 871-874. https://doi.org/10.3139/146.110109
- S. Yi, Y. S. Kim, 2010, Sliding Wear Behavior of Pure Metal, Fe and Cu Having a Cubic Crystal System, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 357-362. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2010.19.6.357
- S. D. Kim, S. J. Kim, Y. S. Kim, 2006, Sliding Wear Mechanism of the High-nitrogen Austenitic 18Cr-18Mn-2Mo-0.9N Steel, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 112-117. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2006.15.2.112
- Y. Wang, T. Lei, J. Liu, 1999, Tribo-metallographic Behavior of High Carbon Steels in Dry Sliding II. Microstructure and Wear, Wear, Vol. 231, No. 1, pp. 12-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(99)00116-7
- J. Kalousek, K. M. Fegredo, E. E. Lauffr, 1985, The Wear Resistance and Worn Metallography of Pearlite, Bainite, and Tempered Martensite Rail Steel Microstructures of High Hardness, Wear, Vol. 105, No. 3, pp. 199-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(85)90068-7
- R. Tyagi, S. K. Nath, S. Ray, 2001, Dry Sliding Friction and Wear in Plain Carbon Dual Phase Steel, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 359- 367. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-001-0267-7
- J. E. Garnham, J. H. Beynon, 1992, Dry Rolling-Sliding Wear of Bainitic and Pearlitic Steels, Wear, Vol. 157, No. 1, pp. 81-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(92)90189-F
- P. Clayton, R. Devanathana, 1992, Rolling /Sliding Wear Behavior of a Cr-Mo Rail Steel in Pearlitic and Bainitic Conditions, Wear, Vol. 156, No. 1, pp. 121-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1648(92)90148-2
- N. Jin, P. Clayton, 1997, Effect of Microstructure on Rolling/Sliding Wear of Low Carbon Bainitic Steels, Wear, Vol. 202, No. 2, pp. 202-207. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(96)07271-7
- K. M. Lee, A. A. Polycarpou, 2005, Wear of Conventional Pearlitic and Improved Bainitic Rail Steels, Wear, Vol. 259, No. 1-6, pp. 391-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2005.02.058
- Y. Shiota, Y. Tomota, A. Moriai, T. Kamiyama, 2005, Structure and Mechanical Behavior of Heavily Drawn Pearlite and Martensite in a High Carbon Steel, Met. Mater. Int., Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 371-376. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03027507
- G. E. Dieter, 1986, Mechanical Metallurgy, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, pp. 415-419.
- C. C. Viafara, M. I. Castro, J. M. Velez, A. Toro, 2005, Unlubricated Sliding Wear of Pearlitic and Bainitic Steels, Wear, Vol. 259, No. 1-6, pp. 405-411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2005.02.013