- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluating the Efficiency of Mobile Content Companies Using Data Envelopment Analysis and Principal Component Analysis
- Cho, Eun-Jin (Technology Strategy Research Division, ETRI) ;
- Park, Myeong-Cheol (Department of Management Science, KAIST)
- Received : 2010.07.19
- Accepted : 2010.11.24
- Published : 2011.06.30
This paper evaluates the efficiency of mobile content firms through a hybrid approach combining data envelopment analysis (DEA) to analyze the relative efficiency and performance of firms and principal component analysis (PCA) to analyze data structures. We performed a DEA using the total amount of assets, operating costs, employees, and years in business as inputs, and revenue as output. We calculated fifteen combinations of DEA efficiency in the mobile content firms. We performed a PCA on the results of the fifteen DEA models, dividing the mobile content firms into those having either 'asset-oriented' or 'manpower and experience-oriented' efficiency. Discriminant analysis was used to validate the relationship between the efficiency models and mobile content types. This paper contributes toward the construction of a framework that combines the DEA and PCA approaches in mobile content firms for use in comprehensive measurements. Such a framework has the potential to present major factors of efficiency for sustainable management in mobile content firms and to aid in planning mobile content industry policies.
Supported by : National IT Industry Promotion Agency
- Korea Communications Commission, Plan to Activate the Mobile Internet, Mar. 2009.
- C. Serrano-Cinca, Y. Fuertes-Callen, and C. Mar-Molinero, "Measuring DEA Efficiency in Internet companies" Decision Support Syst., vol. 38, no. 4, 2005, pp 557-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2003.08.004
- K.J. Lee, J.J. Kim, and G. Cho, "The Evaluation of the Efficiency of Internet Companies Using a DEA Model," J. Korea Manag., vol. 20, no. 1, 2005, pp. 109-136.
- E. Thanassoulis, Introduction to the Theory and Application of Data Envelopment Analysis, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003.
- H.J. Wen, B. Lim, and H.L. Huang, "Measuring E-Commerce Efficiency: A Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) Approach," Ind. Manag. & Data Syst., vol. 103, 2003, pp. 703-710. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635570310506124
- C.T.B. Ho and D.D. Wu, "Online Banking Performance Evaluation Using Data Envelopment Analysis and Principal Component Analysis," Computer and Operation Research, vol. 36, 2009, pp. 1835-1842. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2008.05.008
- C.H. Park, S.S Han, and W.H. Seok, "Mobile Telecommunications Market Regulations and Carrier Performance: The Korea Case," ETRI J., vol. 32, no. 1, 2010, pp. 129-138. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.10.0109.0179
- C. Kim et al., "A Systematic Approach to New Mobile Service Creation," Expert Syst. Appl., vol. 35, 2008, pp. 762-771. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.07.044
- S. Kwon et al., "Activation Scheme of Mobile Contents in the Wireless Internet," Korea Communications Commission, Nov. 2009.
- OECD, Digital Broadband Content: Mobile Content New Content for New Platforms, May 2005.
- P.M.C. Swatman, C. Krueger, and K. van der Beek, "The Changing Digital Content Landscape: An Evaluation of e- Business Model Development in European Online News and Music," Internet Research, vol. 16, 2006, pp. 53-80. https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240610642541
- C. Kim, E. Oh, and N. Shin, "An Empirical Investigation of Digital Content Characteristics, Value, and Flow," J. Computer Inf. Syst., vol. 50, 2010, pp. 79-87.
- A. Holzer and J. Ondrus, "Mobile Application Market: A Developer's Perspective," Telematics and Informatics, vol. 28, 2011, pp. 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2010.05.006
- Y.G. Joo and S.Y. Sohn, "Structural Equation Model for Effective CRM of Digital Content Industry," Expert Syst. Appl., vol. 34, 2008, pp. 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2006.08.016
- R.B. Fich and A. Benbunan, "Understanding User Behavior with New Mobile Applications," J. Strategic Inf. Syst., vol. 16, 2007, pp. 393-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsis.2007.08.002
- National Assembly Researcher Service, Plan to Activate the Mobile Internet Using Mobile Open Market, Mar. 2010.
- C. Feijoo et al., "Exploring a Heterogeneous and Fragmented Digital Ecosystem: Mobile Content," Telematics and Informatics, vol. 26, 2009, pp. 282-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2008.11.009
- J. Eckhardt, M. Lundborg, and C. Schlipp, "Digital Rights Management (DRM) and the Development of Mobile Content in Europe," Computer Law and Security Report, vol. 23, 2007, pp. 543-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clsr.2007.09.008
- M. Lundborg and E.O. Ruhl, "The Impact of Future Frequency Regulation on Business Models for Mobile TV," CiCT Conf., Lyngby Copenhagen, Denmark, Nov. 30- Dec. 1, 2006.
- H.K. Sabat, "The Evolving Mobile Wireless Value Chain and Market Structure," Telecommun. Policy, vol. 26, 2002, pp. 505- 535. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-5961(02)00029-0
- A. Tsalgatidou and E. Pitoura, "Business Models and Transactions in Mobile Electronic Commerce: Requirements and Prorperties," Computer Network, vol. 37, 2001, pp. 221-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1286(01)00216-X
- MCF, Survey Results about Mobile Content Industry Structure, July, 2009.
- D. Choi et al., "A Study on Global Digital Content Industry: Domestic Digital Content Market Survey," Korea IT Industry Promotion Agency, Jan. 2009.
- I. Maghiros, F. Abadie, and C. Pascu, Introduction to the State of the Art of the Creative Content Sector, Seville: Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, 2007.
- Global Mobile Forecast, Yankee Group, Dec. 2008.
- M.J. Farrell, "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency," J. Royal Statistical Soc., Series A, vol. 120, Part III, 1957, pp. 253- 289. https://doi.org/10.2307/2343100
- A. Charnes, W.W. Cooper, and E. Rhodes, "Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units," European J. Operational Research, vol. 2, 1978, pp. 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- J. Cubbin and G. Tzanidakis, "Regression Versus Data Envelopment Analysis for Efficiency Measurement: An Application to the England and Wales Regulated Water Industry," Utility Policy, vol. 7, 1998, pp. 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0957-1787(98)00007-1
- A. Azadeh et al., "An Integrated DEA-COLS-SFA Algorithm for Optimization and Policy Making of Electricity Distribution Units," Energy Policy, vol. 37, 2009, pp. 2605-2618. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2009.02.021
- A. Barua et al., "DEA Evaluations of Long- and Short-Run Efficiencies of Digital vs. Physical Product 'Dot Com' Companies," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, vol. 38, 2004, pp. 233-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2003.10.002
- N.K. Avkiran and B.R Parker, "Pushing the DEA Research Envelope," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, vol. 44, 2010, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2009.06.001
- Y. Chen, L. Motiwalla, and M.R. Khan, "Using Super-Efficiency DEA to Evaluate Financial Performance of e-Business Initiative in the Retail Industry," Int. J. Inf. Tech. & Decision Making, vol. 3, no. 2, 2004, pp. 337-351. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219622004001045
- B. Golany and Y. Roll, "An Application Procedure for DEA," Omega, vol. 17, 1989, pp. 237-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(89)90029-7
- D.D. Wackerly, W. Mendenshall III, and R.L. Scheaffer, Mathematical Statistics with Applications, Duxbury, 2002.
- M. Sigala, "Using Data Envelopement Analysis for Measuring and Benchmarking Productivity in the Hotel Sector," J. Travel and Tourism Marketing, vol. 16, 2004, pp. 39-60. https://doi.org/10.1300/J073v16n02_04
- L.M. Seiford and J. Zhu, "Profitability and Marketability of the Top 55 U.S. Commercial Banks," Manag. Sci., vol. 45, 1999, pp. 1270-1288. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.45.9.1270
- N. Donthu and B. Yoo, "Retail Productivity Assessment Using Data Envelopment Analysis," J. Retailing, vol. 74, 1998, pp. 89- 105. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(99)80089-X
- G.H. Dunteman, Principal Components Analysis, Newbury Park, CA, USA: Sage University Paper Series on Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences, 1999.
- H. Kang et al., Multivariate Analysis with SAS: A Primer with Examples, Seoul: Jayu Academy, 2005.