- Volume 23 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on the effectiveness of english-medium class
영어강의의 효과성에 대한 연구
- Cho, Jang Sik (Department of Informational Statistics, Kyungsung University)
- 조장식 (경성대학교 정보통계학과)
- Received : 2012.10.18
- Accepted : 2012.11.13
- Published : 2012.11.30
Many universities stress gradually the importance of english-medium class in order to improve the international competitiveness and the internationalization of the university. In this paper, we compare english-medium class with korean class using course evaluation score. Also we analyze the factors that affect the effectiveness of the course evaluation score of english-medium class. First, logistic regression analysis is used to examine the main effects of subjects and individual characteristics. Also, decision tree analysis is used to examine the interaction effects for subjects and individual characteristics. The results of this paper are as follows. Grade, department category, class size, GPA and screening method affect the effectiveness of english-medium class. The highest effectiveness group of english-medium class is that grade is freshmen and department category is humanity. Also the group of the second highest effectiveness group is that grade is freshmen and department category is nature and art and GPA is high.
Supported by : 경성대학교
- Breiman, L., Friedman, J. H., Olshen, R. A. and Stone, C. J. (1984). Classification and regression trees, Wadsworth, Belmont.
- Cho, J. S., Kang, C. W and Choi, S. B. (2009). Comparison on equating methods for course evaluation. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 20, 65-75.
- Cho, J. S. (2010). The influence analysis of admission variables on academic achievements. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 729-736.
- Cho, J. S. (2011). Determinants of job finding using student's characteristic information. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 22, 849-856.
- Han, K. H., Heo, J. H. and Yun, I. G. (2010). The role and task of english medium instruction(EMI) for educating global engineers. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 13, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2010.13.3.53
- Horwitz, E. K., Horwitz, M. B. and Cope, J. (1986). Foreign language classroom anxiety. The Modern Language Journal, 72, 283-294.
- Klassen, R. G and De Graaff, E. (2001). Facing innovation; Preparing lectures for English-medium instruction in a non-native context. European Journal of Engineering Education, 26, 281-289. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043790110054409
- Lee, J. Y. (2008). The study of anxiety and risk-taking of university students of english-medium classes in Korea, Master Thesis, Sookmyung University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. W. (2010). Study on the university students' perceptions on the English mediated courses, Master Thesis, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul.
- Lee, Y. G. and Hur, J. (2009). A study on the comparison of descriptive variables reduction methods in decision tree induction: A case of prediction models of pension insurance in life insurance company. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 20, 179-190.
- You, Y. J. and Park, H. C. (2009). Design and implementation of data mining tool using PHP and WEKA. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 20, 425-433.
- Feature analysis of deaf students' English language by frequency vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.819
- Analysis of employee's characteristic using data visualization vol.25, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2014.25.4.727
- Determinants of student course evaluation using hierarchical linear model vol.24, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2013.24.6.1285