- Volume 3 Issue 4
In this study, crosshole seismic test, donwhole seismic test, SPT uphole test, and suspension PS logging (SPS logging) were conducted and the shear wave velocities of these tests were compared. The test demonstrated the following result: Downhole tests showed similar results compared to those of crosshole tests, which is known to be relatively accurate. SPS logging showed reliable results in the case of no casing, i.e. in the rock mass, while, in the case of soil ground, its values were lower or higher than those of other tests. SPT-uphole tests showed similar results in the soil ground and upper area of rock mass compared to other methods. However, reliable results could not be obtained from these tests because SPT sampler could not penetrate into the rock mass for the tests.
Shear Wave Velocity;Crosshole Seismic Test;Donwhole Seismic Test;SPS Logging;SPT Uphole Test
- ASTM (1996), "Standard test methods for crosshole seismic testing (D4428/D4428M-91)", 1996 Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Sect. 4, Vol. 04.08, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, pp. 636-645.
- Bang, E. S., J. T. Kim, and D. S. Kim (2006a), "Modification of SPT-Uphole method using two component surface geophones", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 26(2C): 109-120 (in Korean).
- Bang, E. S., J. T. Kim, and D. S. Kim (2006b), "Evaluation of Near Subsurface 2D Vs Distribution Map using SPT-Uphole Tomography Method", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 26(3C): 143-155 (in Korean).
- Crice, D. (2002), "Borehole shear-wave surveys for engineering site investigations", Geostuff, www.georadar.com/geostuff.
- GeoVision Geophysical Services (2002), P-S suspension logging borehole B-2, GeoVision Suspension Logging Report.
- Kim, D. S., E. S. Bang and W. C. Kim (2004), "Evaluation of various downhole data reduction methods to obtain reliable Vs profile", Geotechnical Testing Journal, 27(6): 585-597.
- Kim, D. S., E. S. Bang, Y. J. Mok, and S. H. Park (2000), "Parametric Study for the Reliable Evaluation of Downhole Test Results", Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 20(6C): 485-493 (in Korean).
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (2005), Seismic Design Criteria for Structural Building.
- Mok, Y. J. (1987), Analytical and experimental studies of borehole seismic methods, Ph.D. Dissertation, The department of civil engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas.
- Stokoe, K. H., S. H. Joh, and R. D. Woods (2004), "Some contributions of in situ Geophysical measurements to solving geotechnical engineering problems", Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Site Characterization ISC'2 Porto, Portugal, pp. 19-42.