- Volume 13 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Assertive Behavior Among Non-smoking College Students Under Secondhand Smoke Exposure
간접흡연 노출에 대한 비흡연 대학생의 주장행위에 관한 연구 -건강신념모형과 ASE model 적용을 중심으로-
- Kim, Myoung-Soo (Department of Nursing, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Yun-Hee (Department of Nursing, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2012.08.13
- Accepted : 2012.11.08
- Published : 2012.11.30
This study was performed to investigate the factors related to assertive behavior among non-smoking college students under secondhand smoke exposure. Data were collected from 246 non-smoking college students at one university in B city from October to November, 2011 and analyzed by multiple logistic regression. The factors related to assertive behavior were men(OR 3.173, 95% CI 1.676-6.005), with another smoker in household(OR 1.679, 95% CI 1.056-2.983), high level of perceived benefit(OR 2.821, 95% CI 1.044-7.623), high level of social influence(OR 3.753, 95% CI 1.845-7.634), high level of self efficacy(OR 4.140, 95% CI 2.159-7.941). It is necessary to develop and evaluate the health promotion program for enhancing of assertive behavior of non-smoking college students regarding of perceived benefit, social influence and self efficacy.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, "Smoking and Tobacco Use". Basic information health effects. Avaliable : http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco[cited 7 April 2012.
- National Institutes of Health, "The National Toxicology Program's 9th Report on Carcinogens', Federal Registration, 62, 1997.
- Ministry for Health & Welfare Affairs, "Guideline of Smoking cessation and smoking prevention", Ministry for Health & Welfare Affairs, Seoul, 2012.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare & Family Affairs, "2008 Statistics for people's health", Ministry for Health, Welfare & Family Affairs, Seoul, 2009.
- Willemsen, M. C., DeVries, H., ""Saying "no" to environmental tobacco smoke: determinants of assertiveness among nonsmoking employees", Preventive Medicine, 25(5), pp. 575-82, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1996.0092
- Gottlieb, N. H., Eriksen. M. P., Lovato, C. Y., Weinstein, R. P., Green, L. W., "Impact of a restrictive worksite smoking policy on smoking behavior, attitudes and norms", Journal of Occupational Medicine, 32, pp. 16-23. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199001000-00008
- Busan Metropolitan City, "2008 Community health survey", Busan Metropolitan City, 2009.
- Choo, J., Kim, E. K., "Levels of secondhand smoking and their correlates for college students in Korea", Paper presented at the meeting of Korean Society for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Seoul, Korea, 2010.
- Suk, M. H., OH, W. O., "Determinants of health status in adolescents", Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 13, pp.493-502. 2002.
- Yoon, H. S., Cho, Y. C., "A study on the preventive attitude and health behavior of life-style related disease in college students", Journal of Korean Society Health Education Promotion, 22(4), 229-244, 2005.
- Lee, S. H., Chon, M. Y., "Undergraduate students' sexual behavior and influencing factors : an analysis based on the theory of planned behavior, Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 18(4), pp. 553-563, 2008.
- Paek, K, S., "A study of factors influencing health promoting behavior in college students", Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 14(2), pp.232-241. 2003.
- Carpenter, C. J., "A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of health belief model variables in predicting behavior", Health Communication, 25(1), pp. 661-669, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/10410236.2010.521906
- VanES, S. M., Nagelkerke, F., Colland, V, T., Scholten, R., Bouter, L. M., "An intervention programme using the ASE-model aimed at enhancing adherence in adolescents with asthma", Patient Education and Counseling, 44, pp. 193-203, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(00)00195-6
- Aspropouls, E., Lazuras, L., Rodafinose, A., Eiser, J. R., "Can you put it out? Predicting non-smokers assertiveness intentions at work", Tobacco Contorl, 19, pp. 148-152, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2009.031161
- Kim, E. K. & Choo, J. A., "The health belief model and assertive behavior of asking smokers not to smoke among college students", Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 11(3), pp. 160-168, 2011.
- Choo, J., Kim, E. K., "Application of the ASE model to the assertive behavior of non-smoking college students under secondhand smoke exposure", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health, 22(1), pp. 1-10, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.1.1
- Park, Y. S., Roh, Y., & Kim, C. N.," Urinary cotinine concentration by passive smoking in the PC game room", Korea Journal of Environmental Health Society, 28(1), pp. 11-20, 2002.
- Lee, A. H., "A pilot intervention for pregnant women in Sichuan, China on passive smoking", Patient Education and Counseling, 71(3), pp. 396-401, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2008.03.014
- Painter, J. E., Borba, C. P., Hynes, M., Mays, D., Glanz, K., "The Use of Theory in Health Behavior Research from 2000 to 2005: A Systematic Review", Behavioral Science Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 35(3), 358-362, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-008-9042-y
- Lin, P. L., Huang, H, L., Lu, K. Y., Chen, T., Lin, W, T., Lee, C. H., et al., "Secondhand smoke exposure and the factors associated with avoidance behavior among the mothers of pre-school children; A school-based cross sectional study", Public Health, 10, pp. 606-614, 2010.