- Volume 37A Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A High Performance Transmission Method for Massively Delivering Multimedia Data in WMSN
무선 멀티미디어 센서 네트워크(WMSN) 환경에서 멀티미디어 데이터 전송을 위한 대용량 전송 기법에 대한 연구
- Received : 2012.05.14
- Accepted : 2012.10.31
- Published : 2012.11.30
For transmitting sensed data, wireless sensor networks have been developed and researched for the improvement of energy efficiency, hence, many MAC protocols in WSN employ the duty cycle mechanism. Since the progressed development of the low power transceiver and processor let the high energy efficiency come true, the delivery of the multimedia data which occurs in area of sensor work should be needed to provide supplemental information. In this paper, we design a new scheme for massive transmission of large multimedia data where the duty cycle is used in contention based MAC protocol, for WMSN. The proposed scheme can be applied into the previous duty cycle mechanism because it provides two operation between normal operation and massive transmission operation. Measuring the buffer status of sender and the condition of current radio channel can be criteria for the decision of the above two operations. This paper shows the results of the experiment by performing the simulation. The target protocol of the experiment is X-MAC which is contention based MAC protocol for WSN. And two approaches, both X-MAC which operates only duty cycle and X-MAC which operates combined massive transmission scheme, are used for the comparative experiment.
- Jae-Ho Lee, Kyung Hur, and Doo-sop Eom, "A Enhanced Theory for reducing energy consumption and end-to-end delay in stationary wireless sensor network", J. Korea Information and Communications Society (J-KICS), vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 949-959, Oct. 2010.
- Satyajayant Misra, Martin Reisslein, Guoliang Xue, "A Survey of Multimedia Streaming in Wireless Sensor Networks", IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 10, no. 4, Fourth Quarter, 2008.
- Michael Buettner, Gary V. Yee, Eric Anderson, and Richard Han, "X-MAC: A Short Preamble MAC Protocol for Duty-Cycled Wireless Sensor Networks". In Proceedings of the 4th International Conferenceon Embedded Networked Sensor Systems. (SENSYS2006), pp. 307-320, Nov. 2006.
- Joseph Polastre, Jason Hill, and David Culler, "Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks". In Proceedings of the Second International Conference On Embedded Networked SensorSystems (SenSys2004), pp. 95-107, Nov. 2004.
- Amre El-Hoiydi, and Jean-Dominique Decotignie, "WiseMAC: An Ultra Low Power MAC Protocol for Multi-hop Wireless Sensor Networks", In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Algorithmic Aspects of Wireless Sensor Networks (ALGOSENSORS 2004), pp. 18-31, Jul. 2004.
- IEEE 802.11e, Wireless QoS Service, from http://www.ieee.org.
- A. Veres, A. Campbell, M. Barry, and S Li-Hsiang, "Surpporting service differentiation in wireless packet networks using distributed control", IEEE J. Select.Areas Communications, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 2081-2093, Oct. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/49.957321
- C. Lu, B. Blum, T. Abdelzaher, J. Stankovic, and H Tian, "RAP: A real-time communication architecture for large-scale wireless sensor networks", In Proceedings of IEEE Real-time Systems Symposium (RTSS), pp. 55-66, Dec. 2001.
- TI CC2420 datasheet, from http://www.ti.com.
- Saxena. N, Roy. A, and Shin. J, "A QoS-Based Energy-Aware MAC Protocol for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks", In Proceedings of Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC), pp. 183-187, May 2008.
- Melodia. T, and Akyildiz. I, "Cross-Layer Quality of Service Support for UWB Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks", In Proceedings of The 27th Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM), pp. 2038-2046, Apr. 2008.
- Aghdasi. H, Abbaspour. M, and Moghadam. M, "An Energy-Efficient and High-Quality MAC Protocol for Image Transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks", In 4th IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications (ICCSC), pp. 838-842, May. 2008.
- Ian F. Akyildiz, Tommaso Melodia, and Kaushik R. Chowdhury, "A survey on wireless multimedia sensor networks", Computer Networks, vol. 51, no. pp. 921-960, Mar, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2006.10.002