- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Visual Feedback and Human Performance in the Foot Mouse Control
- Hong, Seung-Kweon (Department of Industrial & Management Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Kim, Seon-Soo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.09.07
- Accepted : 2012.11.28
- Published : 2012.12.31
Objective: The aim of this study is to investigate visual feedback effects and human performance in the foot mouse control. Background: Generally, computer mouse tasks are controlled by visual feedback. In order to understand the characteristics of a foot mouse control, it is important to investigate the patterns of visual feedback involved in foot-mouse control tasks. Human performance of foot mouse control is also an important factor to understand the foot mouse control. Method: Three types of mouse control were determined to investigate visual feedback effects and human performance in the foot mouse control. Visual feedback effects in the foot mouse control were compared with those of a typical hand mouse. The cursor movement speed and mental workload were measured in the three types of tasks and two types of mouses. Results: Mouse control tasks with an element of homing-in to the target were more quickly performed by the hand mouse than the foot mouse. Mental workload was also higher in the foot mouse than the hand mouse. However, in the steering movement, human performance of the foot mouse control was not lower than that of the hand mouse control. Visual feedback in the foot mouse control was less required than in the hand mouse control. Conclusion: The foot mouse was not efficient in the most mouse control tasks, compared to the hand mouse. However, the foot mouse was efficient in the steering movement, moving a cursor within a path with lateral constraints. Application: The results of this study might help to develop the foot mouse.
Supported by : Korea National University of Transportation
- Accot, J. and Zhai, S., "Beyond Fitts' Law: Models for Trajectory-based HCI Tasks," CHI conference 1997, 295-302, 1997.
- Dennerlein, J. T., Martin, D. B. & Hasser, C., "Force-feedback Improves Performance for Steering and Combined Steering-targeting Tasks," CHI conference 2000, 423-429, 2000.
- Drury, C. G., Movements with Lateral Constraint, Ergonomics, 14(2), 293 -305, 1971 https://doi.org/10.1080/00140137108931246
- Fitts, P. M., The information capacity of the human motor system in controlling the amplitude of movement, Journal of Experimental Psychology, 47, 381-391, 1954. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0055392
- Garcia, F. P. & Vu, K-P. L., Effectiveness of hand- and foot-operated secondary input devices for word-processing tasks before and after training, Computer in Human Behavior, 27, 285-295, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2010.08.006
- Godthelp, H., The limits of path error-neglecting in straight lane driving, Ergonomics, 31(4), 609-619, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140138808966703
- Hong, S-K. & Kim S-I., Time prediction model of cursor movement with path constraints, Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, 31(4), 334-340, 2005
- Hong, S-K. & Park, J-C., "Ballistic movement range in the foot mouse control", Spring Conference of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 219-222, 2008.
- Kang, J-Y, Kim, Y-A, Lee, N-Y, Lee, S-H. & Hwang, M-C., "Development of foot mouse for the disabled", Fall Conference of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 614-617, 2008.
- Lee, K-T, Jang, P-S. & Lee, D-H., Optimal display-control gain of the foot-controlled isotonic mouse on a target acquisition task, IE Interface, 17(1), 112-120, 2004.
- Mackenzie, I. S., Fitts' Law as a research and design tool in human computer interaction, Human-Computer Interaction, 7, 91-139, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327051hci0701_3
- Mackenzie, I. S., Zhang, S. X. & Soukoreff, R. W, Text entry soft keyboards, Behavior & Information Technology, 18(4) 235-244,1999.
- Springer, J. & Siebes, C., "Position controlled input device for handicapped: Experimental studies with a footmouse", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 17, 135-152, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-8141(95)00045-3
- Winsum, W. V., Speed choice and steering behavior in curve driving, Human Factors, 38(3), 434-441, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1518/001872096778701926
- A Pilot Study on the Control Performance of Foot-Controlled Mouse Devices for the Nondisabled People vol.35, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2016.35.3.175