- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Design and Performance Analysis of Ducted Propulsor for Underwater Robot
수중로봇용 덕트 추진기의 설계 및 성능해석
- Received : 2012.10.12
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2012.12.31
Underwater robots are generally used for the construction of seabed structures, deep-sea ecosystem research, ocean energy development, etc. A ducted marine propulsor is widely used for the thruster of an underwater robot because of its collision protection, efficiency increase, cavitation reduction, etc. However, the flow of a ducted propeller is very complex because it involves strong flow interactions between the blade impeller and duct. The present work aimed to design a ducted propeller using 2-D strip theory and CFD analysis. The hydrodynamic forces (i.e. and ) were computed to set the local angle of attack in a spanwise direction of the propeller blade. After the propeller design, performance coefficients such as the thrust, torque, and efficiency were computed to check whether the designed performance was achieved. To validate the present analysis, the thrust was compared with experimental data and good agreement was obtained.
Ducted propulsor;Propeller design;Underwater robot;Navier-Stokes equation;Hydrodynamic force
- Jang, H.Y., Yang, A.Y., So, M.O., Park, H.I., 2010. Development of Underwater Thrusting System Driven by BLCD Motor. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Ocean Engineers 2010 Fall Annual Conference, Mokpo Korea, 41-45.
- Jang, J.H., Jung, Y.R., Park, W.G., 2004. Propulsive performance analysis of ducted marine propulsors with rotor- stator interaction, Journalof Shipand Ocean Technology, 8(1), 31-41.
- Joung, T.H., Sammut, K., He, F., Lee, S.K., 2009. A Study on the Motion Analysis and Design Optimization of Ducted Type AUV(Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) by Using CFD(Computational Fluid Dynamics) Analysis. Journal of the Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, 23(1), 48-53.
- Jung, Y.R., 2002. A Study on the Flow Characteristics of a Marine Propulsor with Variation of Tip Clearances Including Rotor-Stator Interaction. Doctoral Dissertation, Pusan National University.
- Jung, Y.R., Park, W.G., Jun, J.G., Lee, S.W., Lee, K.C., 2001. Numerical Flow Analysis of a Single-Stage Ducted Marine Propulsor. 7th International Congresson Fluid Dynamicsand Propulsion, SHARM-EL-SHEIKH, SINAI, EGYP.
- Kerwin, J.E., Kinnas, S.A., Lee, J.T., Shih, W.Z., 1987. A surface panel method for the hydrodynamic analysis of ducted propellers. Transactions of SNAME, 1987-1995.
- Lee, J.M., Choi, H.T., Kim, K.H., Yeo, D.J., Lee, P.M., 2011. The Estimation of the Propulsion of a UUV Using Commercial Thruster. Journal of the Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, 25(1), 27-31.
- Park, W.G., Jang, J.H., Chun, H.H., Kim, M.C., 2005a. Numerical Flow and Performance Analysis of Waterjet Propulsion System. Ocean Engineering, 32, Issues 14-15, 1740-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2005.02.004
- Park, W.G., Jung, Y.R., Kim, C.K., 2005b. Numerical Flow Analysis of Single-Stage Ducted Marine Propeller, Ocean Engineering, 32, 1260-1277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2004.10.022
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)