- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Structural Design Equation for a Box-shape Pressure Compensated Chamber of Pilot Mining Robot
파일럿 집광로봇 박스형 압력보상용기 구조설계식
Lee, Minuk;Hong, Sup;Lim, Woochul;Lee, Tae Hee;Choi, Jong-Su
- Received : 2012.09.24
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2012.12.31
A pressure compensated chamber of a pilot mining robot isolates and protects an electrical-electronic system from the ambient highly pressured water. Since the inner pressure of the chamber is compensated with outer water pressure using hydraulic oil and pressure compensator, there exists a pressure difference, less than 1 bar, between outer and inner surface. The structural safety of the chamber is obtained relatively easier than the canister type which inner pressure is kept as the atmospheric pressure. However, due to the adoption of box shape for space efficiency and usage of the transparent engineering plastic viewport for checking inner circumstance, the viewport can be largely deformed. This large deformation can cause an additional tensile force, called the prying force, to the bolt-flange connection parts of the viewport. In this paper, we suggest the structural design equation considering the prying action for designing the structure of a box-shape pressure compensated chamber.
Pilot mining robot;Electronic-electrical system;Pressure compensated chamber;Prying action
- Chang, G.C.Y., 1962. Analysis and Design of Structural Tee-Connections in Tension, Unpublished Report prepared in partial fulfillment of the requirement for CE 497, Special Problem, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA.
- Douty, R.T. and McGuire, W., 1963. Research on Bolted Moment Connections - A Progress Report, Proceedings of the 1963 AISC National Engineering Conference, Tulsa, OK, April 24-26, AISC, 48-55.
- Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Choi, J.S., Yeu, T.K., Park, S.J., 2008. Development of a Test Miner System for Deep-seabed Manganese Nodule, 2008 KAOSTS joint Sym, 179-184.
- Kim, J.H., Yeu, T.K., Park, S.J., Yoon, S.M., Hong, S., 2011. The Introduction of Underwater Connection Technique for Use Electric-Electronic System of Pilot Mining Robot, Proc. of 2011 KSOE Fall Conf., 46-49.
- Kulak G.L., Fisher J.W., and Struik, J.H.A., 1987. A Guide to Design Criteria of Bolted and Riveted Joints, Second Edition, Wiley-Interscience, 263-288.
- Leahey, T.F. and Munse, W.H., 1956. Static and Fatigue Tests of Rivets and High-Strength Bolts in Direct Tension, Structural Research Series No. 80, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA.
- Lee, H.B., Kim, H.M., Yang, C.J., Park, S.S., 2000. A Study on the Strength and Deformation Characteristics of T-Stub Connection, Journal of the architectural institute of Korea, 16(10), 49-55.
- Nair, R.S., Birkemoe, P.C., Munse, W.H., 1974. High Strength Bolts Subjected to Tension and Prying, Journal of the Structural Division, 100(2), 351-372.
- Park, S.J., Yeu, T.K., Yoon, S.M., Kim, J.H., Hong, S., Kim, H.W., Choi, J.S., 2011. Requirements for Electrical and Electronics System Design of Pilot Miner, 2011 KAOSTS joint Sym., 1720-1723.
- Struik J.H.A., de Back J., 1969. Tests on Bolted T-Stubs with Respect to a Bolted Beam-to-Column Connections, Report 6-69-13, Stevin Laboratory, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands
- Thornton W.A., 1985. Prying Action - a General Treatment, Engineering Journal, AISC, 22(2), 67-75.
- Timoshenko, S., Woinowsky-krieger, S., 1959. Theory of plates an shells, 2nd ed., McGraw Hill., Newyork, 105-179.
- Vincent, G.S., 1969. Tentative Criteria for Load Factor Design of Steel Highway Bridges, Steel research for construction bulletin No. 15, American Iron and Steel Institute, New York.
Grant : 심해저 광물자원 통합 채광시스템 개발 연구
Supported by : 국토해양부