- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
High Performance Computing: Infrastructure, Application, and Operation
- Park, Byung-Hoon (Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory) ;
- Kim, Youngjae (Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory) ;
- Kim, Byoung-Do (Advanced Research Computing, Virginia Tech) ;
- Hong, Taeyoung (Supercomputing Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Kim, Sungjun (Supercomputing Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Lee, John K. (Appro Inc.)
- Received : 2012.10.21
- Accepted : 2012.11.04
- Published : 2012.12.30
The last decades have witnessed an increasingly indispensible role of high performance computing (HPC) in science, business and financial sectors, as well as military and national security areas. To introduce key aspects of HPC to a broader community, an HPC session was organized for the first time ever for the United States and Korea Conference (UKC) during 2012. This paper summarizes four invited talks that each covers scientific HPC applications, large-scale parallel file systems, administration/maintenance of supercomputers, and green technology towards building power efficient supercomputers of the next generation.
- J. Dongarra, P. Beckman, T. Moore, P. Aerts, G. Aloisio, J. C. Andre, et al., "The international exascale software project roadmap," International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications February, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 3-60, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094342010391989
- K. Alvin, B. Barrett, R. Brightwell, S. Dosanjh, A. Geist, S. Hemmert, M. Heroux, D. Kothe, R. Murphy, J. Nichols, R. Oldfield, A. Rodrigues, and J. S. Vetter, "On the path to exascale," International Journal of Distributed Systems and Technologies, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 1-22, 2010.
- J. Diamond, M. Burtscher, J. D. McCalpin, B. D. Kim, S. W. Keckler, and J. C. Browne, "Evaluation and optimization of multicore performance bottlenecks in supercomputing applications," Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software, Austin, TX, 2011, pp. 32-43.
- M. Burtscher, B. D. Kim, J. Diamond, J. McCalpin, L. Koesterke, and J. Browne, "PerfExpert: an easy-to-use performance diagnosis tool for HPC applications," Proceedings of ther ACM/IEEE Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, New Orleans, LA, 2010, pp. 1-11.
- N. Tallent, J. Mellor-Crummey, L. Adhianto, M. Fagan, and M. Krentel, "HPCToolkit: performance tools for scientific computing," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 125, no. 1, 2008.
- O. A. Sopeju, M. Burtscher, A. Rane, and J. Browne, "Auto- SCOPE: automatic suggestions for code optimizations using PerfExpert," Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, Las Vegas, NV, 2011, pp. 19-25.
- G. M. Shipman, D. A. Dillow, H. S. Oral, Y. Kim, D. Fuller, J. Simmons, and J. Hill, "A next-generation parallel file system environment for the OLCF," Proceedings of the Cray User Group Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, 2012.
- Top500 supercomputer sites, http://www.top500.org.
- Y. Kim, R. Gunasekaran, G. M. Shipman, D. A. Dillow, Z. Zhang, and B. W. Settlemyer, "Workload characterization of a leadership class storage cluster," Proceedings of the 5th Petascale Data Storage Workshop, New Orleans, LA, 2010, pp. 1-5.
- B. H. Park, G. Kora, A. Geist, and J. Heo, "RAVEN: RAS data analysis through visually enhanced navigation," Proceedings of the Cray User Group Conference, Edinburgh, UK, 2010.
- G. E. Moore, "Cramming more components onto integrated circuits," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 82-85, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.1998.658762
- J. Dongarra and P. Luszczek, "Anatomy of a globally recursive embedded LINPACK benchmark," Proceedings of the IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference, Waltham, MA, 2012.