- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
New Public Health and National Public Health System
신 공중보건과 국가공중보건체계
- Bae, Sang Soo (Hallym Health Services Research Center, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Hallym University)
- 배상수 (한림대학교 사회의학연구소, 한림대학교 사회의학교실)
- Received : 2012.11.26
- Accepted : 2012.12.14
- Published : 2012.12.31
The New Public Health(NPH) is a comprehensive approach to protecting and promoting the health status of each individual member and society as a whole. NHP is not so much a philosophy to broaden the understanding of public health as it is an action plan to address current public health system. This paper's objectives include increasing public and professional awareness of the significant changes in the national public health systems of developed countries and contributing to more effective delivery of public health services in Korea. This paper reviews articles and documents concerning NPH and the public health system, and outlines of the achievements in developed countries since NPH movement began. These include the change in the definition and function of public health, expansion of public health networks, strengthening of public health policy, reorientation of public health delivery systems, promotion of workforce capacity, and the implementation of evidence-based management. To overcome the challenges facing the public health system of Korea, we must prioritize the value of population-based approach, expand the notion of a public health system to encompass all sectors that can influence health, promote a "Health in All Policies" approach, focus on an evidence-based health policy and program, develop core competencies for public health workers, and establish performance standards for public health organizations based on the core functions of public health.
Public health;New Public Health;Population health;Public health system
Supported by : 한림대학교
- Ncayiyana M, Goldstein G, Goon, Yach D. New public health and WHO's ninth general programme of work: a discussion paper. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1995. Available from : URL:http://whqlibdoc.who.int/ hq/1995/HRH_95.6.pdf
- Minkler M. Challenges for health promotion in the 1990s: Social inequities, empowerment, negative consequences, and the common good. Am J Health Promot 1994;8(6):403-413 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-8.6.403
- Dakubo CY. Ecosystems and human health: A critical approach to ecohealth research and practice. New York, Springer, 2010. p.24
- Green LW. Modifying and developing health behaviour. Annu Rev Public Health 1984;5:215-236 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pu.05.050184.001243
- Milstein B. Hygeia's constellation: Navigating health futures in a dynamic and democratic world. Atlanta(GA), GA Syndemics Prevention Network, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008. Available from URL: http:// www.cdc.gov/syndemics/pdfs/Hygeias_Conste llation_Milstein.pdf
- Green LW, O''Neill M, Westphal M, Morisky D. The challenges of participatory action research for health promotion. Health Promotion Educ 1996;3:3-5
- McLeroy KR, Bibeau D, Steckler A, Glanz K. An ecological perspective on health promotion programs. Health Educ Quart 1988;15(4):351-378 https://doi.org/10.1177/109019818801500401
- McLeroy KR, Steckler AB, Goodman RM, Burdine JN. Health education research, theory, and practice: Future directions. Health Educ Res Theory Pract 1992;7:1-8 https://doi.org/10.1093/her/7.1.1
- Stokols D. Establishing and maintaining healthy environments: Toward a social ecology of health promotion. Am Psychol 1992;47(1):6-22 https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.47.1.6
- Brown T, Duncan C. Placing geographies of public health. Area 2002;34(4):361-369 https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-4762.00093
- Kickbusch I. The contribution of the World Health Organization to a New Public Health and health promotion. Am J Public Health 2003;93(3):383-388 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.3.383
- Winslow EA. The Untilled Fields of Public Health, Science 1920;51(1306):23-33 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.51.1306.23
- Lewis J. What price community medicine? The philosophy, practice and politics of public health since 1919. Brighton, UK: Wheatsheaf Books, 1986.
- Institute of Medicine. The future of public health. Washington, National Academic Press, 1988, p.7, p42, pp.141-142
- Acheson D. Public health in England: The report of the committee of inquiry into the future development of the public health function. London, HMSO, 1988.
- Wanless D. Securing good health for the whole population. Final report. London, Department of Health, 2004, p.27
- Beaglehole R, Bonita R, Horton R, Adams O, McKee M. Public health for the new era: Improving health through collective action. Lancet 2004;363: 2084-2086 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16461-1
- Shonick W. Government and health services: Government's role in the development of U.S. health services 1930-1980. New York, Oxford University Press, 1995. Quated from Turnock B, Public health: What it is and how it works, 4 edition, Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Boston, 2008, p.220
- Public Health Functions Steering Committee, U.S. Public health in america. Washington, DC, U.S. Public Health Services, 1994.
- Sullivan M, Michel I. Core competencies in public health: Literature review, Toronto, Ontario Public Health Association, 2004. Available from URL:http://www.opha.on.ca/ programs/archived/phcci/litreview/PHCCI-Li tReview-4Mar04.pdf
- Moloughney, B. Core functions of public health-A very brief review, prepared for: National ad hoc steering committee on the future of public health. December 11, 2002 (Draft).
- National Public Health Partnership. National delphi study on public health functions in Australia: Report on the findings. January 2000. Available from URL:http://www.nphp.gov.au/ publications/phpractice/delphi-body.pdf
- Bettcher DW, Sapirie S, Goon EH. Essential public health functions: Results of the international delphi study. World Health Stat Q 1998;51(1):44-54
- Pan American Health Organization. Public health in the Americas: Conceptual renewal, performance assessment, and bases for action. PAHO Scientific Publications. Pan Amer Health Org. 2002. Available from URL:http://www2.paho.org/hq/dmdocuments /2010/EPHF_Public_Health_in_the_Americas -Book.pdf
- Lock K, Sim F. Public Health in the United Kingdom. In Beaglehole R, Bonita R, editors. Global public health: A new era. second edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2009, pp.63-84
- Department of Health, UK. The report of the Chief Medical Officer''s project to strengthen the public health function. London, Department of Health, 2001. Available from URL: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/ groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/document s/digitalasset/dh_4062359.pdf
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Core competencies for public health in Canada: Release 1.0. Ottawa, Public Health Agency of Canada, 2007. Available from URL: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/php-psp/ccphcesp/ pdfs/cc-manual-eng090407.pdf
- Council on Linkages between Academia and Public Health Practice. Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals. 2010. Available from URL:http://www.phf.org/ resourcestools/Documents/Core_Public_Heal th_Competencies_III.pdf
- The Public Health Foundation. About the core competencies for public health professionals. Available from URL: http://www.phf.org/programs/corecompetenc ies/Pages/About_the_Core_Competencies_for _Public_Health_Professionals.aspx
- Emerson B. The Development of a draft set of public health workforce core competencies: Summary report. Federal/Provincial/ Territorial Joint Task Group on Public Health Human Resources, 2005. Available from URL: http://www.ciphi.ca/files/documents/cpc/cce merson.pdf
- Faculty of Public Health, UK. Ten key standards for public health. Available from URL: http://www.fph.org.uk/training/
- Puska P, Stahl T. Health in all policies-the Finnish initiative: background, principles, and current issues. Annu Rev Public Health 2010;21(31):315-328
- WHO, Government of South Australia. Adelaide Statement on Health in All Policies. Adelaide, South Australia, WHO, 2010.
- Kickbusch I, Buckett K, editors. Implementing Health in All Policies: Adelaide 2010, Department of Health, Government of South Australia, 2010. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/sdhconference/resources/ implementinghiapadel-sahealth-100622.pdf
- Stahl T, Wismar M, Ollila E, Lahtinen E, Leppo K, editors. Health in All Policies: Prospects and potentials. Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Finland, 2006. Available from URL: http://ec.europa.eu/health/archive/ ph_information/documents/health_in_all_polic ies.pdf
- Health in All Policies Task Force, California. Health in All Policies Task Force Report to the Strategic Growth Council. 2010. Available from URL: http://sgc.ca.gov/hiap/docs/publications/ HiAP_Task_Force_Report.pdf
- National Prevention, Health Promotion and Public Health Council. 2010 Annual Status Report. 2010. Available from URL: http://www.hhs.gov/news/reports/nationalpr evention2010report.pdf.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Key Features of the Affordable Care Act, By Year. Available from URL: http://www.healthcare.gov/law/about/order/ byyear.html.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Partnership for Sustainable Communities. 2010. Available from URL: http://www.epa.gov/ smartgrowth/pdf/2010_0105_partnership-in-a ction.pdf.
- Jeong BG, Kim JR, Kang YS, Park KS, Lee JH, Jo SR, Seo GD, Joo SJ, Oh ES, Kim SJ, Jo SJ, Kim SM, Yeum DM, Sim MY. The strategies to address regional health inequalities in Gyeongsangnam-Do: Health Plus Happiness Plus projects. J Agric Med Community Health 2012;37(1): 36-51 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2012.37.1.036
- Department of Health, UK. Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives: A cross government strategy for England. London, Department of Health, 2008. Available from URL: http://webarchive. nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100407220245/http: /www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh _digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_084 024.pdf
- Rodwin V. The health planning predicament. Berkeley, University of California Press, 1984. pp.1-2
- Dahlgren G, Whitehead M. Policies and strategies to promote social equity in health. Stockholm, Institute of Futures Studies, 1991.
- Kickbusch I. Adelaide revisited: From healthy public policy to Health in All Policies. Health Promotion International 2008;23(1):1-4
- Wall S, Persson G, Weinehall L. Public health in Sweden: facts, visions, and lessons. In Beaglehole R, Bonita R, editors. Global Public Health: a new era. second edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2009, pp.85-100
- Health on equal terms: national goals for public health. Final report by the Swedish National Committee for Public Health. Scand J Public Health 2001;29(Suppl 57):1-68 https://doi.org/10.1177/14034948010290032901
- Hunter DJ, Marks L, Smith KE. The public health system in England: a scoping study. Centre for Public Policy and Health, Durham University, 2007, p.1, pp.6-8, p.18, p.26, p.40
- Barton H, Grant M. A health map for the local human habitat. The Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health 2006;126(6):252-253 https://doi.org/10.1177/1466424006070466
- Institute of Medicine. The future of the public's health in the 21st century. Washington, National Academies Press, 2003, p.28
- General Practice/Population Health Joint Action Group. Consultation paper: General practice and population health. Canberra, Department of Health and Aged Care, 2001.
- Davis P, Lin V, Gauld R. Public health in Australia and New Zealand. In Beaglehole R, Bonita R, editiors. Global Public Health: a new era. second edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2009. pp.225-248
- Department of Human and Aging, Australia. Smoking, nutrition, alcohol, physical activity (SNAP) framework for general practice. Canberra, Department of Human and Aging, 2001. Available from URL: http://notes. med.unsw.edu.au/CPHCEWeb.nsf/resources/ CGPISresources61to65/$file/SNAP+Framewo rk+for+General+Practice.pdf
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. Smoking, nutrition, alcohol, physical activity (SNAP). A population health guide to behavioral risk factors in general practice. 2004. Available from URL: http://notes.med. unsw.edu.au/cphceweb.nsf/resources/CGPISr esources66to70/$file/RACGP+SNAP+guide.pdf
- Department of Human and Aging, Australia. Lifescripts advice for healthy living. Canberra, Department of Human and Aging, 2005. Available from URL: http://www.health. gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ 0343771B24D26224CA2574D30005EC88/$File/ indig-flip-chart.pdf
- McPherson K, Taylor S, Coyle E. For and against: Public health does not need to be led by doctors-For Against. BMJ, 2001;322 (7302):1593-1596 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.322.7302.1593
- Hunter DJ. Public health policy. Cambridge, Polity, 2003. p.111
- Stachenko S, Legowski B, Geneau R. Improving Canada's response to public health challenges: the creation of a new public health agency. In Beaglehole R, Bonita R, editiors. Global Public Health: a new era. second edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2009. pp.123-138
- Baum FE, Begin M, Houweling TA, Taylor S. Changes not for the fainthearted: Reorienting health care systems toward health equity through action on the social determinants of health. Am J Public Health 2009;99(11):1967-1974. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2008.154856
- Turnock, B. Public health: What it is and how it works, 4th edition, Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Boston, 2008, pp.246-247, pp.250-253
- Tulchinsky TH, Varavikova EA. What is the "New Public Health"? Public Health Reviews 2010;32:25-53 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03391592
- Lee KS, Lee JJ, Kim JS, Hwang TY, Son HK, Kim CB. The Medical Doctors' opinion of public health center on the development and supply of medical doctor for public health sector. J Agri Med & Community Health 2009:34(3):303-315 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2009.34.3.303
- World Health Organization. Ottawa Charter for health promotion: First international conference on health promotion. 1986. Available from URL: http://www.who.int/ hpr/NPH/docs/ottawa_charter_hp.pdf
- Baum F. The new public health: an Australian perspective. third edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Rothstein MA. Rethinking the meaning of public health, Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 2002;30(2):144-149 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-720X.2002.tb00381.x
- Gostin L. Public health law and ethics: A reader. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2002.
- The Concept and Challenges for Public Health Systems vol.26, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2016.26.4.246