- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Fish Consumption and Blood Mercury Levels in Residents of Busan Metropolitan City and Gyeongnam Province
부산, 경남 일부 지역 주민들의 생선 섭취량과 혈중 수은 농도의 관련성
- Kim, Chan Woo (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Young Wook (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Chae, Chang Ho (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Son, Jun Seok (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Ja Hyeon (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Park, Hyoung Ouk (Department of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Samsung Changwon Hospital, College of Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kang, Yune-Sik (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University & Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Kim, Jang-Rak (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University & Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Hong, Young Seoub (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Dong-A University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Seon (Environmental Health Research Division, Environmental Health Research Department, National Institute of Environment Research) ;
- Jeong, Baek Geun (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University & Institute of Health Sciences)
- 김찬우 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 김영욱 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 채창호 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 손준석 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 김자현 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 박형욱 (성균관대학교 의과대학 삼성창원병원 직업환경의학과) ;
- 강윤식 (경상대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학교실 및 건강과학연구원) ;
- 김장락 (경상대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학교실 및 건강과학연구원) ;
- 홍영습 (동아대학교 의과대학 예방의학교실) ;
- 김대선 (국립환경과학원 환경건강연구부 환경보건연구과) ;
- 정백근 (경상대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학교실 및 건강과학연구원)
- Received : 2012.10.02
- Accepted : 2012.11.19
- Published : 2012.12.31
Objectives: The objective of this study was to identify the relationship between fish consumption and blood mercury levels in a sample of adult Koreans. Methods: The study subjects were 299 residents of Busan (male: 65, female: 234) and 185 residents of Namhae (male: 69, female: 116), South Korea. Demographic characteristics, current smoking, current drinking, fish consumption per week, past history of amalgam treatment, and residential district were recorded by trained interviewers in June and July, 2009. We considered a portion of fish to be equivalent to 70 gm weight, and calculated amounts of fish consumed per week. Using chi-square tests, t-tests, ANOVA, and multiple linear regression analysis, we estimated the relationships between blood mercury levels and amount of fish consumed per week and other factors. Results: The mean blood mercury level of our subjects was 6.61
Supported by : 국립환경과학원
- Umwelt Budndes Amt For Our Environment. Health and environmental hygine german environmental survey 1998[cited 27 June 2012]. Available from : URL: http://www. umweltbundesamt.de/gesundheit-e/survey/us98 / blut.htm.
- Environmental Health Perspectives. Blood mercury reporting in NHANES : identifying asian, pacific islander, native american, and multiracial groups[cited 27 June 2012]. Available from : URL:http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/ article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/ 10. 1289/ehp.8464.
- Amin-Zaki L, Elhassani S, Majeed MA, Clarkson TW, Doherty RA, Greenwood M. Intra-uterine methylmercury poisoning in Iraq. Pediatrics 1974;54(5):587-595
- Halbach S, Welzl G, Kremers L, Willruth H, Mehl A, Wack FX, Hickel R, Greim H. Steady-state transfer and depletion kinetics of mercury from amalgam fillings. Sci Total Environ 2000;259(1-3):13-21 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(00)00545-3
- Riley DM, Newby CA, Leal-Almeraz TO, Thomas VM. Assessing elemental mercury vapor exposure from cultural and religious practices. Environ Health Perspect 2001;109(8): 779-784 https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.01109779
- Al-Saleh I, Shinwari N. Urinary mercury levels in females: influence of skin-lightening creams and dental amalgam fillings. Biometals 1997;10(4):315-323 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018380501673
- Al-Saleh I, Shinwari N, Mashhour A, Mohamed Gel-D, Ghosh MA, Shammasi Z, Al-Nasser A. Cadmium and mercury levels in Saudi women and its possible relationship with hypertension. Biol Trace Elem Res 2006;112(1):13-29 https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:112:1:13
- World Health Organization. Children health and the environment. Mercury[cited 15 September 2012〕. Available from : URL: http://www.who.int/ceh/capacity/Mercury.pdf.
- Grandjean P, White RF, Weihe P, Jorgensen PJ. Neurotoxic risk caused by stable and variable exposure to methylmercury from seafood. Ambul Pediatr 2003;3(1): 18-23 https://doi.org/10.1367/1539-4409(2003)003<0018:NRCBSA>2.0.CO;2
- Storelli MM, Stuffler RG, Marcotrigiano GO. Total and methylmercury residues in tuna-fish from the Mediterranean sea. Food Addit Contam. 2002;19(8):715-720 https://doi.org/10.1080/02652030210153569
- Debes F, Budtz-Jorgensen E, Weihe P, White RF, Grandjean P. Impact of prenatal methylmercury exposure on neurobehavioral function at age 14 years. Neurotoxicol Teratol 2006;28(5):536-547 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ntt.2006.02.005
- Myers GJ, Davidson PW, Cox C, Shamlaye CF, Palumbo D, Cernichiari E, Sloane-Reeves J, Wilding GE, Kost J, Huang LS, Clarkson TW. Prenatal methylmercury exposure from ocean fish consumption in the Seychelles child development study. Lancet 2003;361(9370): 1686-1692 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13371-5
- Choi Y, Kim DH. Contents of total and organic mercury in bone, muscle and fin of Carassius carassius middle stream of Nakdong River, Korea. Korean J of Rural Med 1993;18(2):131-140 (Korean)
- Guallar E, Sanz-Gallardo MI, Van't Veer P, Bode P, Aro A, Gomez-Aracena J, Kark JD, Riemersma RA, Martin-Moreno JM, Kok FJ. Mercury, fish oils, and the risk of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2002;347:1747-1754 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa020157
- Hallgren CG, Hallmans G, Jansson JH, Marklund S, Huhtasaari F, Schutz A, Strömberg U, Vessby B, Skerfving S. Markers of high fish intake are associated with decreased risk of a first myocardial infarction. Br J Nutr 2001;86(3):397-404 https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2001415
- Tsuchiya H, Mitani K, Kodama K, Nakata T. Placental transfer of heavy metals in normal pregnant Japanese women. Arch Environ Health 1984;39(1):11-17 https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1984.10545827
- Sakamoto M, Kubota M, Liu XJ, Murata K, Nakai K, Satoh H. Maternal and fetal mercury and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids as a risk and benefit of fish consumption to fetus. Environ Sci Technol 2004;38(14):3860-3863 https://doi.org/10.1021/es034983m
- Smith KM, Barraj LM, Kantor M, Sahyoun NR. Relationship between fish intake, n-3 fatty acids, mercury and risk markers of CHD(National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002). Public Health Nutr 2009;12(8):1261-1269 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980008003844
- Schober SE, Sinks TH, Jones RL, Bolger PM, McDowell M, Osterloh J, Garrett ES, Canady RA, Dillon CF, Sun Y, Joseph CB, Mahaffey KR. Blood mercury levels in US children and women of childbearing age, 1999-2000. JAMA 2003;289(13):1667-1674 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.13.1667
- World Health Organization. WHO Food ADDITIVES SERIES:52. Methylmercury[cited 15 September 2012]. Available from : URL:http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf a/jecmono/v52je23.htm.
- European Commission. The Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF), Annual Report 2007[cited 15 September 2012]. Available from : URL:http://ec.europa.eu/ food/food/rapidalert/report2007_en.pdf.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish(Brochure)[cited 15 September 2012]. Available from : URL:http:// www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consu mers/ucm110591.htm.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. Heavy metals standards list on food 2007[cited 15 September 2012]. Available from : URL:http:// www.kfda.go.kr/index.kfda?mid=69&cd=56& pageNo=1&seq=3028&cmd=v.
- Chan Woo Kim, Young Wook Kim, Chang Ho Chae, Jun Seok Son, Seung Hyun Park, Jae Chul Koh, Dae Seon Kim. The effects of the frequency of fish consumption on the blood mercury levels in Koreans. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2010;22(2): 114-121 (Korean)
- Eun Mi Jo, Byoung Gwon Kim, Yu Mi Kim, Seung Do Yu, Chang Hun You, Joon Youn Kim, Young Seoub Hong. Blood mercury concentration and related factors in an urban coastal area in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health 2010;43(5): 377-386 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.5.377
- Korean Nutrition Society. Food values of portions commonly used. Seoul, Korean Nutrition Information Center, 2004, p. 215 (Korean)
- Turner MD, Marsh DO, Smith JC, Inglis JB, Clarkson TW, Rubio CE, Chiriboga J, Chiriboga CC. Methylmercury in populations eating large quantities of marine fish. Arch Environ Health 1980;35(6):367-378 https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1980.10545797
- Korea Ministry of Environment. The hazardous substances survey in koreans[cited 27 June 2012]. Available from : URL:http://me.go.kr/ kor/notice/notice_02_01.jsp?id=notice_02&mod e=view&idx=170640.
- Murata K, Dakeishi M, Shimada M, Satoh H. Usefulness of umbilical cord mercury concentrations as biomarkers of fetal exposure to methylmercury. Nippon Eiseigaku Zasshi 2007;62(4):949-959 https://doi.org/10.1265/jjh.62.949
- Health Canada. Consumption Advice: Making informed Choices about Fish[cited 15 September 2012]. Available from : URL:http:// www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/chem-chim/environ/mercur/cons-adv-etud-eng.php.
- Changes in Urinary Mercury Levels after Removal of Amalgam Fillings vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.2.190
- A study on blood lipid profiles, aluminum and mercury levels in college students vol.10, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2016.10.4.442
- Population correlates of circulating mercury levels in Korean adults: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey IV vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-527