- Volume 38 Issue 6
Objective: This study was performed to assess bacterial distribution concerned in sanitation management of public lavatory in Seoul. Methods: In this research, bacteriological investigation on public lavatory was accomplished for bidet water, bidet nozzle, washbowl and lavatory stool in the 50 public facilities such as public institutions, subway stations, cinema, department stores, large-scale buildings and hospitals amount to 374 specimens. Results: The geometric mean of colony forming unit(CFU) in total aerobic colony count were analyzed as follows;
bacteriological investigation;pathogenic germs;public lavatory;sanitation
- Lee KS, A study for effective establishment and management of lavatory [dissertation]. [Daejeon]: Hanbat National University; 2007.
- Lee JB, A study for management and maintenance improvement of public lavatory[dissertation]. [Seoul]: Kyunghee University; 2006.
- Kang BD, A study on using character of plumbing fixture of a lavatory in university building[dissertation]. [Pusan]: Pukyung National University; 2008.
- Hutchinson RI. Some observations on the method of spread of Sonne dysentery. Mon Bull Minist Health Public Health Lab Serv. 1956; 15: 110-118.
- Newsom SWB. Microbiology of hospital toilets. Lancet. 1972; 300: 700-703. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(72)92102-2
- Barker J, Bloomfield SF. Survival of Salmonella in bathrooms and toilets in domestic homes following salmonellosis. J Appl Microbiol 2000; 89: 137-144. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.01091.x
- Mendes MF, Lynch DJ. A bacteriological survey of washrooms and toilets. J Hyg. 1976; 76: 183-190. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002217240005508X
- Giannini MA, Nance D, McCullers JA. Are toilet seats a vector for transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus? Am J Infect Control 2009; 37: 505-506. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2008.11.005
- Park HS, Lim HS, Lee JY. A Study on Sustainable design elements of public toilets in parks. J. of Asian Architec. and Build. Eng. 2012; 14(2): 19-29.
- Lee JB. A study of development in maintenance and management of public restroom [dissertation]. [Yongin]: Kyunghee University; 2007.
- Yeon JW, Chang MW, Kim KH, Detection and isolation of genital mycoplasmas from public lavatory bowls, J Bacteriol and Virol, 2002; 32(3): 231-237.
- Byung Uk, Lee IG, Hong, DH, Lee ES, Chong JH, Jung JH, et al. Bacterial bioaerosol concentrations in public restroom environments. Aerosol and Air Quality Res. 2012; 12: 251-255.
- Lee GS, Diagnostic Microbiology, Seoul: Korea Medicine Book; 1999.
- Suh HW. Trend and issue of a illuminance criterion in residential space [dissertation]. [Seoul]: Hanyangl University; 2009.
- Ministry of Environment, Official Test Method of Drinking Water. Seoul: 2010. p.439.
- Won Tae-Yeon, Jung Sung-Won, Hangeul SPSS 12K Statistics Survey and Analysis, SPSS Academy, 2004.
- Sehulster L, Chinn RY. Guidelines for environmental infection control in healthcare facilities. Recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003; 52(RR-10): 1-42.
- Sexton T, Clarke P, O'Neill E. Dillane T. Humphreys H. Environmental reservoirs of methicillinresistan Staphylococcus aureus in isolation rooms: correlation with patient isolates and implications for hospital hygiene. J Hosp Infect. 2006: 187-194.
- Boone SA, Gerba CP. Significance of fomites in the spread of respiratory and enteric viral disease. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007; 73: 1687-96. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02051-06
- Eckstein BC, Adams DA, Eckstein EC, Rao A, Sethi AK, Yadavalli GK, et al. Reduction of Clostridium difficile and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus contamination of environmental surfaces after an intervention to improve cleaning methods. BMC Infect Dis 2007; 7: 61. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-7-61
- Hardy KJ, Oppenheim BA, Gossain S, Gao F, Hawkey PM. A study of the relationship between environmental contamination with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and patients' acquisition of MRSA. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 127-132. https://doi.org/10.1086/500622
- Isakbaeva ET, Widdowson MA, Beard RS, Bulens SN, Mullins J, Monroe SS, et al. Norovirus transmission on cruise ship. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005; 11: 154-158. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1101.040434
- Cramer EH, Blanton CJ, Blanton LH, Vaughan GH Jr, Bopp CA, Forney DL. Epidemiology of gastroenteritis on cruise ships, 2001-2004. Am J Prev Med. 2006; 30: 252-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.10.027
- Barker J, Jones MV. The potential spread of infection caused by aerosol contamination of surfaces after flushing a domestic toilet. J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 99: 339-347. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2005.02610.x
- Best EL, Sandoe JAT, Wilcox MH. Potential for aerosolization of Clostridium difficile after flushing toilets: the role of toilet lids in reducing environmental contamination risk. J Hosp Infect. 2012; 80: 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2011.08.010
- Sinclair RG, Gerba CP. Microbial contamination in kitchens and bathrooms of rural Cambodian village households. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2011; 52: 144-149. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2010.02978.x
- Carling PC, Bruno-Murtha LA, Griffiths JK. Cruise ship environmental hygiene and the risk of norovirus infection outbreaks: an objective assessment of 56 vessels over 3 years. Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49:1 312-1317. https://doi.org/10.1086/600055
- Pace NR. A molecular view of microbial diversity and the biosphere. Science. 1997; 276: 734-740. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.276.5313.734
- Dancer S.J. How do we assess hospital cleaning? A proposal for microbiological standards for surface hygiene in hospitals. J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 10- 15.
- Hannuksela A, Hannuksela M. Soaps and detergents in skin diseases. Clin Dermatol. 1996; 14(1): 77-80.
- Lakshmi C, Srinivas CR, Anand CV, Mathew AC. Irritancy ranking of 31 cleansers in the Indian market in a 24-h patch test. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2008; 30(4): 277-283. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2008.00448.x
- The Load of Indicator Bacteria of Sanitary Ware in Public Restrooms vol.40, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2014.40.1.63