- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Effects of Vocalization on Upper Extremity Muscle Activity during Reaching Task in Patients with Hemiplegia
발성이 편마비 환자의 팔 뻗기 시 상지근육의 근활성도에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2012.10.15
- Accepted : 2012.12.10
- Published : 2012.12.28
This study examined the effects of vocalization on upper extremity muscle activity during reaching task in patients with hemiplegia. Thirteen persons with right brain stroke performed reaching to a cup under four concurrent speech conditions of vocalizing the word "Ah" with hemiplegic side. These four conditions are self-vocalization, external vocalization, imaginary vocalization, and no vocalization. The muscle activity(Biceps brachii, Triceps brachii, Middle deltoid, and Upper trapezius) were measured using MP150. Muscle activity was significantly higher under self-vocalization and external vocalization conditions compared to the muscle activity under imaginary vocalization and no vocalization conditions on triceps brachii muscle.(p<0.05). Triceps brachii muscle was highly correlated with biceps brachii muscle(r=0.777, p<0.05). The results suggest that self-vocalization and external vocalization can be used in facilitating upper extremity movements in patients with stroke. When working with patients with right hemispheric stroke, therapists might explore possibilities of using patient's self-speech to enhance the quality of upper extremity movement performance.
Supported by : 대구대학교
- 국립재활원, 지역사회재활 교육자료, 서울 국립재활원, 1997.
- T. Martin and M. Kessler, Neurologic interventions for physical therapy, Saunders Elsevier Pub, 2007.
- A. Shumway-Cook and M. H. Wollacott, Motor control: translating research into clinical practice, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Pub, 2007.
- H. M. Feys, W. J. Weerdt, B. E. Selz, G. A. Cox Steck, R. Spichiger, L. E. Werreck, K. D. Putman, and G. A. Van Hoydonck, "Effect of the therapeutic intervention for the hemiplegic upper in the acute phase after stroke," Stroke, Vol.29, No.4, pp.785-792, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.29.4.785
- C. A. Trombly and M. V. Radomski, Occupation therapy for physical dysfunction, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Pub, 2002.
- 김연희, 최미숙, 김봉옥, "Jebsen hand function test에 의한 정상 한국 성인의 손 기능 평가", 대한재활의학회지, 제8권, 제2호, pp.109-114, 1984.
- 박경아, 은성종, 이미자, 홍재란, "뇌졸중 환자의 일상생활동작 수행에 관한 연구", 고령자치매작업치료학회지, 제4권, 제1호, pp.29-38, 2010.
- 김형선, 황영옥, 유재호, 정진화, 우희순, 정희승, "뇌졸중 환자의 우울, 재활동기, 일상생활동작과 삶의 질 간의 상관관계", 대한작업치료학회지, 제17권, 제3호, pp.41-53, 2009.
- K. K. Maitra, K. M. Telage, and M. S. Rice, "Self-speech-induced facilitation of simple reaching movements in persons with stroke," American Journal of Occupational Therapy, Vol.60, No.2, pp.146-154, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.60.2.146
- P. Broca, "Sur la siege de la faculte la language articule," Building society of antropologica, Vol.6, pp.377-393, 1865.
- F. Pulvermuller, O. Hauk, V. V. Nikulin, and R. J. Ilmoniemi, "Functional links between motor and language systems," European Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.21, No.3, pp.793-797, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2005.03900.x
- E. Bonda, M. Petrides, S. Frey, and A. Evans, "Neural correlates of mental transformations of the body in space," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol.92, No.24, pp.11180-11184, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.24.11180
- J. Decety, D. Perani, M. Jeannerod, V. Bettnardi, B. Tadary, R. Woods, J. C. Mazziotta, and F. Fazio, "Mapping motor representations with positron emission tomography," Nature, Vol.371, No.6498, pp.600-602, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1038/371600a0
- S. T. Grafton, M. A. Arbib, L. Fadiga, and G. Rizzolatti, "Localization of grasp representation in human by positron emission tomography. 2. Observation compared with imagination," Experimental Brain Research, Vol.112, No.1, pp.103-111, 1996.
- F. Binkofski and G. Buccino, "Motor functions of the broca's region," Brain and Language, Vol.89, No.2, pp.362-369, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-934X(03)00358-4
- K. K. Maitra, D. Curry, C. Gamble, M. Martin, J. Phelps, M. E. Santistiban, E. Slattery, J. Thomas, and K. M. Telage, "Using speech sounds to enhance occupational performance in young and older adults," Occupation, Participation and Health, Vol.23, No.1, pp.35-44, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/153944920302300105
- J. H. Park, "Effects of vocalization on elbow motion during reaching performance in persons with hemiparetic stroke," Graduated school of Younsei university, 2005.
- K. K. Maitra, "Enhancement of reaching performance via self-speech in people with parkinson's disease," Clinical Rehabilitation, Vol.21, No.5, pp.418-424, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215507074058
- S. B. O'sullivan and T. J. Schmitz, Physical rehabilitation: Assessment and treatment, F.A. Davis Company Pub, 2001.
- 진영완, "재활운동에 참가한 뇌졸중환자의 운동 과학적 연구", Journal of Life Science, 제20권, 제11호, pp.1704-1710, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.11.1704
- 유원규, 박지혁, 유은영, 신혜경, 최종덕, "팔 뻗기 과제 수행 시 수행거리가 체간과 팔의 움직임에 미치는 영향", 대한작업치료학회지, 제12권, 제2호, pp.61-70, 2004.
- 윤성용, 이택영, 박소연, 이진복, 김장환, "마시기(Drinking) 동작의 근활성도와 운동형상학 분석", 대한작업치료학회지, 제16권, 제1호, pp.77-88, 2008.
- 박용하, 뇌졸중 환자의 무릎관절 신전 등척성 운동 시 등받이 유무와 골반통제가 넙다리네갈래근 근력과 근활성도에 미치는 영향, 한서대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 2009.
- A. G. Wood, A. S. Harvey, R. M. Wellard, D. F. Abbott, V. Anderson, M. Kean, M. M. Saling, and G. D. Jackson, "Language cortex activation in normal children," Neurology, Vol.63, No.6, pp.1035-1044, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1212/01.WNL.0000140707.61952.CA
- A. Floel, T. Ellger, C. Breitenstein, and S. Knecht, "Language perception activates the hand motor cortex: implications for motor theories of speech perception," European Journal of Neuroscience, Vol.18, No.3, pp.704-708, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-9568.2003.02774.x
- G. P. Van Galen, and M. Huygevoort, "Error, stress and the role of neuromotor noise in space oriented behavior," Bio Psycho, Vol.51, pp.151-171, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-0511(99)00037-X
- L. W. Pedretti and M. B. Early, Practice skills for physical dysfunction, Mosby Pub, 2001.
- 방요순, 김희영, 이문규, "뇌졸중 환자의 상지기능에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제7호, pp.202-210, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.7.202