- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Building Hierarchical Knowledge Base of Research Interests and Learning Topics for Social Computing Support
소셜 컴퓨팅을 위한 연구·학습 주제의 계층적 지식기반 구축
- Received : 2012.10.22
- Accepted : 2012.11.29
- Published : 2012.12.28
This paper consists of two parts: In the first part, we describe our work to build hierarchical knowledge base of digital library patron's research interests and learning topics in various scholarly areas through analyzing well classified Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETDs) of NDLTD Union catalog. Journal articles from ACM Transactions and conference web sites of computing areas also are added in the analysis to specialize computing fields. This hierarchical knowledge base would be a useful tool for many social computing and information service applications, such as personalization, recommender system, text mining, technology opportunity mining, information visualization, and so on. In the second part, we compare four grouping algorithms to select best one for our data mining researches by testing each one with the hierarchical knowledge base we described in the first part. From these two studies, we intent to show traditional verification methods for social community miming researches, based on interviewing and answering questionnaires, which are expensive, slow, and privacy threatening, can be replaced with systematic, consistent, fast, and privacy protecting methods by using our suggested hierarchical knowledge base.
Hierarchical Knowledge Base;Research Interests;Learning Topics;Classification;Social Computing
- ACM Transactions, ACM DL: Transactions, http://portal.acm.org/browse_dl.cfm?linked=1&part=transaction&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&CFID=19463219&CFTOKEN=17951970, 2007.
- D. Kelly, "Understanding Implicit Feedback and Document Preference: A Naturalistic User Study," Doctoral dissertation, Rutgers University, 2004.
- D. Nichols, "Implicit Rating and Filtering," Proceedings of the 5th DELOS Workshop on Filtering and Collaborative Filtering, Budapest, Hungary, pp.31-36, 1998.
- H. Suleman, "Introduction to the Open Archives Initiative protocol for metadata harvesting," Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE 2nd Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2002), Portland, OR, Software available at http://oai.dlib.vt.edu/odl/software/harvest/, 2002.
- J. Konstan, B. Miller, D. Maltz, J. Herlocker, L. Gordon, and J. Riedl, "GroupLens: Applying Collaborative Filtering to Usenet News," In Communications of the ACM, Vol.40, No.3, pp.77-87, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1145/245108.245126
- K. Tolle and H. Chen, "Comparing noun phrasing techniques for use with medical digital library tools," Journal of American Society for Information Science, Vol.51, No.4, pp.352-370, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(2000)51:4<352::AID-ASI5>3.0.CO;2-8
- N. Belkin, "Interaction with Texts: Information Retrieval as Information-Seeking Behavior," In Information Retrieval, pp.55-66, 1993.
- NDLTD, Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, http://www.ndltd. org, 2007.
- P. Anick and S. Vaithyanathan, "Exploiting Clustering and Phrases for Context-based Information Retrieval," Proceedings of the 20th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on research and development, Philadelphia, PA, pp.314-323, 1997.
- R. Baeza-Yates, Modern Information Retrieval, Addison Wesley, Santiago, Chile, 1999.
- R. Duda, P. Hart, and D. Stork, Pattern Classification, A Wiley-Interscience Publication, 2000.
- R. Fidel and A. Pejtersen, "From Information Behaviour Research to the Design of Information System: the Cognitive Work Analysis Framework," Information Research, Vol.10, No.1, 2004.
- R. Miller and K. Bharat, "SPHINX: a framework for creating personal, site-specific web crawlers," Proceedings of the 7th World-Wide Web Conference, 1998.
- S. Ha, K. Im and H. Pae, "Comparison of Online Game User Communities by using Social Network Analysis," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.9, No.8, pp.178-189, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.8.178
- S. Kim, E. Fox, W. Fan, C. North, D. Tatar, and R. Torres, "Design and Evaluation of Techniques to Utilize Implicit Rating Data in Complex Information Systems," Computer Science Technical Report, Blacksburg, VA, Virginia Tech, http://eprints.cs.vt.edu/archive/00000980/, TR-07-20, 2007.
- S. Kim, NDLTD, "Search Interface Embedded User Tracking System," available at http://boris.dlib.vt.edu:8080/controller/ index.jsp, 2006.
- S. Kim, S. Lele, S. Ramalingam, and E. Fox, "Visualizing User Communities and Usage Trends of Digital Libraries based on User Tracking Information," Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL '06), Kyoto, Japan, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4312, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg New York, pp.111-120, 2006.
- S. Kim, S. Yang, and E. Fox, "Supply and Demand Analysis in NDLTD Based on Patron Specialty Survey and Contents Statistics," Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD '06), http://www6.bibl.ulaval.ca:8080/etd2006/pages/prog.jsf, 2006.
- S. Lin and N. Belkin, "Validation of a model of information seeking over multiple search sessions," Journal of American Society for Information Science & Tech.(JASIST), Vol.56, No.4, pp.393-415, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20127