- Volume 12 Issue 12
Patent information, which is generated under a specific, objective rule for a prolonged period of time, has the properties of technology, right, and management. Because of these characteristics of patents, patent analysis is used to identify R&D capacities and performances, and management strategies of a given nation or enterprise. In this paper, we analyze LTE essential patents which are key IPRs for implementing standardized LTE technology and major weapons in a global patent war. Total of 2,307 LTE essential patents, published and registered applications from European Telecommunications Standards Institute(ETSI)'s online IPR database as of January 2011, are analyzed in quantitative methods. The analysis results present status and statistics of LTE essential patents by major countries, applicant companies and technical fields. And a comparative study is done using 4 patent indices limited to the LTE essential patents issued in the United States. It is expected that results herein are useful for not only figuring out the technological competitiveness of countries and companies in LTE market, but also suggesting a guide to strategic IPR management for related industries.
LTE(Long Term Evolution);Patent Analysis;Essential Patent;IPR;Mobile Communications
- 송영근, 이경실, "국내외 LTE 서비스 전개 현황 및 특성", 주간기술동향, 제1541호, 정보통신산업진흥원, 2012.
- 강희종, 엄미정, 김동명, "특허분석을 통한 유망융합기술의 예측", 기술혁신연구, 제14권, 제3호, pp.93-116, 2000.
- 서진이, 권오진, 노경란, 김완종 , 정의섭, "특허 인용 정보를 이용한 성과평가에 대한 실증적 연구", 한국기술혁신학회, 추계학술대회, pp.379-409, 2006.
- Griliches, Zvi., "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, Vol.28, pp.661-707, 1990.
- F. Narin, E. Noma, and R. Perry, "Patents as Indicators of Corporate, Technological Strength," Research Policy, Vol.16, pp.143-155, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(87)90028-X
- M. E. Mogee, "Using patent data for technology analysis and planning," Research-Technology Management, Vol.34, pp.43-49, 1991.
- H. Ernst, "The Use of Patent Data for Technological Forecasting: The Diffusion of CNC-Technology in the Machine Tool Industry," Small Business Economics, Vol.9, No.4, pp.361-381, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007921808138
- M. P. Carpenter and Narin Francis and Woolf, Patricia, "Citation Rates to Technologically Important Patents," World Patent Information, Vol.3, No.4, pp.160-163, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0172-2190(81)90098-3
- M. B. Albert, D. Avery, F. Narin, and P. McAllister, "Direct Validation of Citation Counts as Indicators of Industrially Important Patents," Research Policy, Vol.20, pp.251-259, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-7333(91)90055-U
- B. H. Hall, A. Jaffe, and M. Trajtenberg, "Market Value and Patent Citations: A First Look," NBER Working Paper Series, Cambridge, MA., 2000.
- K. Grefermann and K. H. Oppenlander, "Patentwesen und technischer Fortschritt," Teil I, Gottingen., 1974.
- U. Schmoch and H. Grupp, "Technikprognosen mit Patentindikatoren," Verlag TUV-Rheinland, Koln, 1988.
- J. Putnam, "The Value of Intellectual Property Rights," Unpublished Thesis, 1996.
- D. Guellec and B. van Pottelsberghe, "Applications, grants and the value of patent," Economics Letters, Vol.69, No.1, pp.109-114, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1765(00)00265-2
- J. O. Lanjouw and M. Schankerman, "Characteristics of patent litigation: a window on competition," Rand Journal Of Economics, Vol.32, No.1, pp.129-151, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/2696401
- D. Harhoff, F. M. Scherer, and K. Vopel, "Citations, Family Size, Opposition and the Value of Patent Rights," Research Policy, Vol.33, pp.1343-1363, 2003.
- M. M. S. Karki, "Patent Citation Analysis; A Policy Analysis," World Patent Information, Vol.19, No.4, pp.269-272, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0172-2190(97)00033-1
- 김동민, 최윤지, 이칠우, "휴대폰 UI관련 특허 분석을 통한 기술 흐름과 발전전망 연구", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제7권, 제22호, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.455
- 박현우, 김기일, "특허정보를 통한 PMP 연구동향과 기술경쟁력 연구", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지 제7권, 제9호, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2007.7.9.117
- 한국지식재산연구원, 주요국의 표준특허 정책 및 글로벌 기업의 표준특허 확보전략 연구, 2008.
- R. Bekkers, R. Bongard, and A. Nuvolari, "Essential patents in industry standards: the case of UMTS," the 6th international conference on Standardization and Innovation in Information Technology(SIIT), pp.22-36, 2009.
- R. Bekkers, R. Bongard, and A. Nuvolari, "An empirical study on the determinants of essential patent claims in compatibility standards," Research Policy, Vol.40, No.7, pp.1001-1015, 2011(9). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2011.05.004
- J. O. Lanjouw and M. Schankerman, "The Quality of Ideas: Measuring Innovation with Multiple Indicators," National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper Series. No.7345, 1999.
- 미국 상무부(Department of Commerce, DOC), New Inventors, 1998.
- S. H. Hwang and S. J. Yeon, "A Patent Analysis on Realistic Media for R&D Projects," Communications in Computer and Information Science, Vol.124, pp.206-213, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-17644-9_23
- Nicolas van Zeebroeck, "The puzzle of patent value indicators," Conference on Patent Statistics for Policy Decision Making, Venice, 2007.
- From mass production to complex production: case of the Korean telecom equipment sector vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/16081625.2015.1010271