- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Silver Inkjet Overlap-printing through Cohesion and Adhesion
- Lee, Sang-Ho (Korea Institute of Industrial Technology) ;
- Cho, Young-June (Korea Institute of Industrial Technology)
- Received : 2011.05.07
- Accepted : 2011.09.21
- Published : 2012.01.01
We introduce an understanding of silver (Ag) inkjet overlap-printing characteristics from the viewpoints of cohesion between ink droplets and adhesion between an ink droplet and a surface. The printing characteristics were closely monitored by changing the surface energy to elucidate the effect of adhesion and cohesion on printing instability, such as droplet merging and line bulging. The surface energy of the substrate was changed through the hydrophilization of a hydrophobic fluorocarbon-coated surface. The surface energy and ink wettability of the prepared surfaces were characterized using sessile drop contact angle analysis, and printing instability was observed using an optical microscope after drop-on-demand inkjet printing with a 50% overlap in diameter of deposited singlet patterns. We found that the surface energy is not an appropriate indicator based on the experimental results of Ag ink printing on a hydrofluoric-treated silicon surface. The analytical approach using adhesion and cohesion was helpful in understanding the instability of the inkjet overlap-printing, as adhesion and cohesion represent the direct interfacial relationship between the Ag inks used and the substrate.
- Y. Liu, K. Varahramyan and T. Cui, "Low-Voltage All-Polymer Field-Effect Transistor Fabricated Using an Inkjet Printing Technique," Macromol. Rapid Commun, vol. 26, pp. 1955-1959, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/marc.200500493
- B. -J. de Gans, P. C. Duineveld and U. S. Schubert, "Inkjet Printing of Polymers: Sate of the Art and Future Developments," Adv. Mater., vol. 16, pp. 203 - 213, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200300385
- B. -J. de Gans and U. S. Schubert, "Inkjet Printing of Polymer Micro-Arrays and Libraries: Instrumentation, Requirements, and Perspectives," Macromol. Rapid Commun., vol. 24, pp. 659-666, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/marc.200350010
- C. W. Sele, T. von Werne, R. H. Friend and H. Sirringhaus, "Lithography-Free, Self-Aligned Inkjet Printing with Sub-Hundred-Nanometer Resolution," Adv. Mater., vol. 17, pp. 997-1001, 2005 https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200401285
- J. Perelaer, B. -J. de Gans and U. S. Schubert, "Ink-jet Printing and Microwave Sintering of Conductive Silver Tracks," Adv. Mater., vol. 18, pp. 2101-2104, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200502422
- H. -H. Lee, K. -S. Chou1 and K. -C. Huang, "Inkjet Printing of Nanosized Silver Colloids," Nanotechnology, vol. 16, pp. 2436-2441, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/16/10/074
- S. H. Ko, J. Chung, H. Pan, C. P. Grigoropoulos and D. Poulikakos, "Fabrication of Multilayer Passive and Active Electric Components on Polymer Using Inkjet Printing and Low Temperature Laser Processing," Sens. Actuators A: Phys., vol. 134., pp. 161-168, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2006.04.036
- P. J. Smith, D.-Y. Shin, J. E. Stringer and B. Derby, "Direct Ink-jet Printing and Low Temperature Conversion of Conductive Silver Patterns," J. Master. Sci., vol. 41, pp. 4153- 4158, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-6653-1
- J. A. Lima, J. H. Choa, Y. Jang, J. T. Han, K. Cho, "Precise Control of Surface Wettability of Mixed Monolayers Using a Simple Wiping Method," Thin Solid Films, vol. 515, pp. 2079-2084, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2006.07.003
- S. -H. Lee, K. -Y. Shin, J. Y. Hwang, K. T. Kang and H. S. Kang, "Silver Inkjet Printing with Control of Surface Energy and Substrate Temperature," J. Micromech. Microeng. vol. 18, 075014 (7pp), 2008. https://doi.org/10.1088/0960-1317/18/7/075014
- T. H. T. van Osch, J. Perelaer, A. W. M. de Laat and U. S. Schubert, "Inkjet Printing of Narrow Conductive Tracks on Untreated Polymeric Substrates," Adv. Mater. vol. 20, 2008, pp. 343-345, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200701876
- T. H. J. van Osch, J. Perelaer, A. W. M. de Laat and U. S. Schubert, "Inkjet Printing of Narrow Conductive Tracks on Untreated Polymeric Substrates," Adv. Mater., vol. 20, pp. 343-345, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200701876
- D. Soltman and V. Subramanian, "Inkjet-Printed Line Morphologies and Temperature Control of the Coffee Ring Effect," Langmuir, vol. 24, pp. 2224-2231, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1021/la7026847
- P. C. Duineveld, "The Stability of Ink-jet printed Lines of Liquid with Zero Receding Contact Angle on a Homogeneous Substrate," J. Fluid Mech., vol. 477, pp. 175-200, 2003.
- J. Stringer and B. Derby, "Formation and Stability of Lines Produced by Inkjet Printing," Langmuir, vol. 26, pp. 10365-10372, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1021/la101296e
- D. J. Shaw, in Introduction to Colloid and Surface Chemistry, 2nd ed., Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford, 1998, pp.154-155.
- R. J. Good, in Contact Angle Wettability and Adhesion, K. L. Mittal Ed., The Netherlands: VSP, 1993, pp. 3-36.
- R. E. Johnson and R. H. Dettre, in Wettability, John C. Berg Ed., New York: Marcel Dekker, 1993, pp. 2-73.
- M. Zenkiewicz, "Methods for the Calculation of surface Free Energy of Solids," J. Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, vol.24, pp.137-145, 2007.
- R. R. Deshmukh and A. R. Sherry, "Comparison of surface Energies Using Various Approaches and Their Suitability," J. Applied Polymer Science, vol.107, pp. 3707-3717, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.27446
- High-resolution CPW fabricated by silver inkjet printing on selectively treated substrate vol.224, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2015.01.002
- Effect of contact angle and drop spacing on the bulging frequency of inkjet-printed silver lines on FC-coated glass vol.28, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-1179-3
- 3D reactive inkjet printing of polydimethylsiloxane vol.5, pp.37, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7TC02412F
- Technologies for Printing Sensors and Electronics Over Large Flexible Substrates: A Review vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2014.2375203
- Printed Organic and Inorganic Electronics: Devices To Systems vol.7, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/JETCAS.2016.2619979
- Prediction of drop-on-demand (DOD) pattern size in pulse voltage-applied electrohydrodynamic (EHD) jet printing of Ag colloid ink vol.117, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-014-8650-6
- Surface microstructuring to modify wettability for 3D printing of nano-filled inks vol.109, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2016.02.004
- Combined Inkjet Printing and Infrared Sintering of Silver Nanoparticles using a Swathe-by-Swathe and Layer-by-Layer Approach for 3-Dimensional Structures vol.9, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b14787
- Characterization of Inkjet-Printed Silver Patterns for Application to Printed Circuit Board (PCB) vol.8, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.603