- Volume 13 Issue 4
Cost is an important aspect in designing a target drone, however the poor performance of low cost IMU, GPS, and microcontrollers prevents the use of complex algorithms, such as ARS, or INS/GPS to estimate attitude angles. We propose an autopilot which uses rate gyro and GPS only for a target drone to follow a prescribed path for anti-aircraft training. The autopilot consists of an altitude hold, roll hold, and path following controller. The altitude hold controller uses vertical speed output from a GPS to improve phugoid damping. The roll hold controller feeds back yaw rate after filtering the dutch roll oscillation to estimate the roll angle. The path following controller operates as an outer loop of the altitude and roll hold controllers. A 6-DOF simulation showed that the proposed autopilot guides the target drone to follow a prescribed path well from the view point of anti-aircraft gun training.
Low cost IMU & GPS;Target drone;Autopilot;Dutch roll filter
- Rhee, I., Park, S., and Lee, K., "Tight Path Following PID Controller for a Vehicle with Time Delay", Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 39 No. 7, 2011, pp. 618-626. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2011.39.7.618
- Rhee, I., Abdel-Hafez, M. F., and Speyer, J. L., "Observability of an integrated GPS/INS during maneuvers", Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transaction on, Vol. 40, No. 2, 2004, pp. 526-535. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2004.1310002
- Jang, J. S., and Liccardo, D., "Automation of Small UAVs using a Low Cost MEMS Sensor and Embedded Computing Platform", IEEE/AIAA 25th Digital Avionics Systems Conference, Portland, Oregon, pp.1-9, 2006.
- Lee, S., Kim, J., Cho, A., Cheong, H., and Kee, C., "Developing an Automatic Control System of Unmanned Aircrafts with a Single-Antenna GPS Receiver", Proceeding of the ION GNSS-2004, Long Beach, California, pp.296-304, 2004.
- "The Report of Investigation on Military Aerial Target Drone", Defence Quality Assurance Agency, 2005.
- Williams, J. E., and Vukelich, S. R., "The USAF Stability and Control Digital DATCOM Users Manual", AFFDLTR-79-3032, Vol. I, 1979.
- The Implementation and Lateral Control Optimization of a UAV Based on Phase Lead Compensator and Signal Constraint Controller vol.10, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4236/eng.2018.1010051
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development