- Volume 13 Issue 4
The present study is the analyses of what has been attempted and what was understood in terms of improving the regression rate and enlarging the basic understanding of internal flow dynamics. The first part is mainly intended to assess the role of helical grain configuration in the regression rate inside the hybrid rocket motor. To improve the regression rate, a combination of swirl (which is an active method) and helical grain (which is a passive method) was adopted. The second part is devoted to the internal flow dynamics of hybrid rocket combustion. A large eddy simulation was also performed with an objective of understanding the origin of isolated surface roughness patterns seen in several recent experiments. Several turbulent statistics and correlations indicate that the wall injection drastically changes the characteristics of the near-wall turbulence. Contours of instantaneous streamwise velocity in the plane close to the wall clearly show that the structural feature has been significantly altered by the application of wall injection, which is reminiscent of the isolated roughness patterns found in several experiments.
regression rate;hybrid rocket combustion;internal flow interaction;vortex shedding
- Humble, R. W., Henry, G. N., and Larson, W. J., Space Propulsion Analysis and Design, McGraw-Hill, Inc, New York, 1995.
- Sutton, G.P. and Biblarz, O., Rocket Propulsion Elements, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
- Yuasa, S., Yamamoto, K., Hachiya, H., Kitagawa, K., and Owada, Y., "Development of a Small Sounding Hybrid Rocket with a Swirling-Oxidizer-Type Engine", AIAA 2001-3537, 37th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE, Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2001.
- Shin, K. H., Lee, C., Chang, S. Y., and Koo, J. Y., "The Enhancement of Regression rate of hybrid Rocket Fuel by Various Method", AIAA 2005-0359, 41st AIAA/ASME/SAE/ ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Tucson, Arizona, 2005.
- Lee, C. and Na, Y., "Large Eddy Simulation of Flow Development in Chamber with Surface Mass Injection", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2009, pp. 51-59. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.34980
- Evans, B., Favorito, N. A., and Kuo, K. K., "Oxidizer-Type and Aluminum Particle Addition Effects on Solid Fuel Burning Behavior", AIAA 2006-4676, 42nd AIAA/ASME/SAE/ ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit, Sacramento, CA, 2006.
- Na, Y. and Lee, C., "Frequency Response of Turbulent Flow to Momentum Forcing in a Channel with Wall Blowing", Journal of Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, No. 1, 2010, pp. 64-72. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2010.38.1.064
- Na, Y. and Lee, C., "Intrinsic Flow Oscillation in Channel Flow with Wall Blowing", AIAA 2008-5019, 44th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE, Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit, Hartford, CT, 2008.
Supported by : National Research Foundation