- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Phytoncide Aromatherapy on Stress, Symptoms of Stress and Heart Rate Variability among Nursing Students
피톤치드 아로마테라피가 간호대학생의 스트레스, 스트레스 증상 및 심박변이도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.10.30
- Accepted : 2012.12.07
- Published : 2012.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of phytoncide aromatherapy on stress, symptoms of stress and heart rate variability among nursing students. Methods: This study is a randomized control-group non-synchronized design. The experimental group (n=31) underwent phytoncide aromatherapy for 2 weeks, while the control group (n=31) received placebo therapy. The data were collected using self-administration questionnaires and measurement of heart rate variability (HRV) and analyzed using SPSS WIN 18.0 program. A p value <.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: Total score of stress, individual score of intrapersonal stress, and score of peripheral manifestations in symptoms of stress in the experimental group were significantly lower than those of the control group. All indices of HRV were significantly different between the two groups. LF norm and LF/HF ratio in the experimental group were significantly lower than those of the control group, and HF norm in the experimental group was significantly higher than that of in the control group. Conclusion: Based on these results, it can be suggested that phytoncide aromatherapy was effective in decreasing stress and peripheral manifestations of stress and changing in HRV among nursing students.
Phytoncide;Aromatherapy;Stress;Nursing Students;Heart Rate Variability
- Buckle, J. (1999). Use of aromatherapy as a complementary treatment for chronic pain. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 5(5), 42-51.
- Chandola, T., Heraclides, A., & Kumari, M. (2010). Psychophysiological biomarkers of workplace stressors. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 35(1), 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2009.11.005
- Chu, J. P., Min, B. I., & Park, G. G. (2001). Perceived sources and coping methods of stress in a population of university students in Korea. The Korean Society of Stress Medicine, 9(2), 41-50.
- Han, K. S., & Kim, G. M. (2007). Comparison to self esteem, family adaptation, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress between nursing and other major university women student. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 16(1), 78-84.
- Kang, D. J., & Kim, K. W. (2012). Effects of temperature and wind velocity on phytoncide concentration in Korean pine (Pinus Koraiensis) forest. Journal of Korean Society for Plants, People and Environment, 15(1), 15-20.
- Kang, J. Y., Kim, K. S., & Kim, H. S. (2001). Effect of aromatherapy on anxiety and stress response of nursing students experiencing the first clinical practice. The Korean Society of Stress Medicine, 9(2), 9-18.
- Kang, H. K., Lee, S. S., & Choi, I. G. (1993). The antifungal activity of coniferous needle oil. Journal of Korea Forestry Energy, 13(2), 71-77.
- Keville, K., & Green, M. (1995). Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art. Freedom, CA: Crossing Press.
- Kim, J. I., & Lee, J. S. (2011). Effects of clinical training on stress, anxiety and changes in autonomic nervous system in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13, 102-108.
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal and coping. New York, NY: Springer.
- Lee, H. S. (2008). The effects of aroma inhalation on nursing students' stress response and anxiety before their µrst clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 19(1), 112-119.
- Lee, S. W. (1992). A study on stress responses of Korean-American. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 22, 238-247.
- Na, K. J., Kang, H. K., Oh, J. H., Choi, I. G., Yun, Y. W., & Jeung, E. B. (1998). The sedative effect of stress by essential oils puried from softwoods. Korean Journal of Laboratory Animal Science, 14(1), 93-96.
- Na, K. J., Kang, H. K., Yoon, S. K., & Jeung, E. B. (1999). Biological efficacy of essential oils from softwood. Korean Journal of Laboratory Animal Science, 15(1), 79-81.
- Nam, E. S., & Uhm, D. C. (2008). Effects of phytoncides inhalation on serum cortisol level and life stress of college students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 20, 697-706.
- Park, J. B., Auh, Q. S., Chun, Y. H., Lee, J. Y., & Hong, J. P. (2007). The effect of the phytoncide in decreasing the mouth odor. Korean Journal of Oral Medicine, 32(2), 151-156.
- Park, M. K., & Lee, E. S. (2004). The effect of aroma inhalation method on stress responses of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 34, 344-351. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.2.344
- Peng, S. M., Koo, M., & Yu, Z. R. (2009). Effects of music and essential oil inhalation on cardiac autonomic balance in healthy individuals. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 15(1), 53-57. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2008.0243
- Roh, K. H., & Park, H. A. (2009). A meta-analysis of the effects of aromatherapy on psychological variables in nursing. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 20(2), 113-122.
- Rozanski, A., Bairey, C. N., Krantz, D. S., Friedman, J., Resser, K. J., Morell, M., Hilton-Chalfen, S., Hestrin, L., Bietendorf, J., & Berman, D. S. (1988). Mental stress and the induction of silent myocardial ischemia in patients with coronary artery disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 318, 1005-1012. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198804213181601
- Schnaubelt, K. (1998). Advanced Aromatherapy. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press.
- Seo, J. Y. (2009). The effects of aromatherapy on stress and stress responses in adolescents. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 39, 357-365. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.3.357
- Shin, W. S., Kim, S. K., Yeon, P. S., & Lee, J. H. (2010). Effects of phytoncides on psychophysical responses. Korean Institute Of Forest Recreation, 14(2), 85-91.
- Shin, Y. S., Cho, Y. S., & Jung, Y. J. (2004). The effects of aromatherapy on autonomic nerve system and physical resistance of a stress. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 6(2), 5-17.
- Song, Y. S. (2012). Stressful life events and quality of life in nursing students. The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, 18(1), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.071
- Sztajzel, J. (2004). Heart rate variability: a non invasive electrocardiographic method to measure the autonomic nervous system. Swiss Medical Weekly, 134, 514-522.
- Suh, S. G. (2007). The relationship between hypertension and stress measured by heart rate variability in a rural area, Korea. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Tsunetsugu, Y., Park, B. J., & Miyazaki, Y. (2010). Trends in research related to "Shinrin-yoku" (taking in the forest atmosphere or forest bathing) in Japan. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine, 15(1), 27-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12199-009-0091-z
- Won, J. S., & Kim, J. H. (2002). Study on ego states in the view of transactional analysis, coping style and health states of nursing students. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 7(1), 68-81.
- Yoo, J. S., Chang, S. J., Choi, E. K., & Park, J. W. (2008). Development of a stress scale for Korean nursing students. Journal of Nurses Academic Society, 38, 410-419. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410
- Effects of Aroma-Necklace Application on Perceived Stress, Symptoms of Stress and Changes in Autonomic Nervous System among Nursing Students in Clinical Training vol.16, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.4.334
- Phytoncide Aroma Inhalation and Exercise Combination Therapy Mood state, college life stress and sleep of College Students vol.14, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.633
- Comparison of Effect of Two-Hour Exposure to Forest and Urban Environments on Cytokine, Anti-Oxidant, and Stress Levels in Young Adults vol.13, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13070625
- A Study on the Distribution Characteristics of Terpene at the Main Trails of Mt. Mudeung vol.39, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2013.39.3.211