- Volume 24 Issue 6
Purpose: This is a descriptive research that reports incidents of workplace violence among care helpers. Methods: The subjects were 181 care helpers from elderly care facilities and domiciliary elderly welfare centers in Daejeon. Data were collected through self-administered questionnaires from July to November 2011. Subjects were asked to report incidents of violence within the previous six months. Data analysis included one-way ANOVA, and logistic regression analysis. Results: Forty-seven percent of care helpers reported verbal violence, 16% reported being physically threatened, more than 21 % reported sustaining a physical injury with 2% reporting severe physical injuries. Further, 18.8% of the care givers reported being sexually harassed by client. There were differences in reported workplace violence based on service types, service hours and whether there were policies about workplace violence. Conclusion: To prevent workplace violence for carehelpers, it is necessary to make a policy for preventing violence and develop a violence prevention program to meet service characteristics of facility-based and domiciliary care helpers.
- Chang, K. J. (2003). A study on the development of work stress and work violence prevention and reduction program. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Hong, M. J. (2009). A Study on Nurses' Experiences of Violence. Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, Daejeon.
- Hwang, E. A. (1993). Nurse abuse: The meaning of the lived experience. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- International Council of Nurses. (2006). Position statement: Abuse and violence against nursing personnel. Retrieved September 20, 2009, from http://www.icn.ch/images/ stories/documents/publications/position_statements/C0 1_Abuse_Violence_Nsg_Personnel.pdf
- International Labour Office, International Council of Nurses, World Health Organization, & Public Services International. (2002). Framework guidelines for addressing workplace violence in the health sector. Retrieved September 20, 2009, from http://www.who.int/violence_injury_ prevention/ violence/interpersonal/en/WVguidelinesEN.pdf
- Ju, Y. S. (2010, August). A study on health status of care helpers. Symposium conducted at the meeting of Korean care worker's association, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, S. Y., An, H. Y., & Kim, H. S. (2008). Violence Experience of Clinical Nurse and Aids in Hospitals. Journal of Korean Association of Occupational Health Nurses, 17 (1), 76-85.
- Kim, Y. T., Kim, H. W., & Yeom, Y. B. (2009). A study on the critical variable of job satisfaction of care giver between Long term and home base care service center. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 46 , 53-76.
- Lee, J. J. (2010). Factors affecting Intention to Leave among staff in long-term care agencies. Journal of Social Science Research Institute, 34 (2), 93-113.
- Lee, S. Y., Lee, Y. G., Ju, Y. S., Kim, M. H., & Choi, K. S. (2011). Investigation on the musculoskeletal disorder of nursing home assistants and development of the disease prevention manual. Incheon: Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute.
- Lim, J. D. (2011). The relationship between job stress and job satisfaction of geriatric care helpers. Journal of the Korea Contents Society, 11 (1), 225-235. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.1.225 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.1.225
- Moon, H. (2010). The mediator effect of coping strategies in the relationship between care giver's job stress and burnout. Journal of Korean Community Living Science, 21 (3), 341- 350.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2004). Guidelines for preventing workplace violence for healthcare and social service workers. Retrieved September 20, 2009, from http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3148.pdf
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2011). OSHA instruction: Enforcement procedures for investigation or inspecting workplace violence incidents. Retrieved September 20, 2009, from http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/ Directive_pdf/CPL_02-01-052.pdf
- Park, E. O., Kang, S. J., Lee, E. K., Ji, E. J., Kang, R. H., & Back, C. H. (2001). Violence experience of clinical nurse in the hospital. Journal of Korea Clinical Nursing Research, 7 (2), 187-202.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2008). Long term care. Retrieved November 15, 20111, from http://www.mw.go. kr/front_policy/jc/sjc0110mn.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=06&M ENU_ID=06100101
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2011, Nov 16). Major statistics of long-term care 2010. Retrieved November 30, 2011, from http://www.mw.go.kr/front/jb/sjb030301vw. jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=031604&page=2&CO NT_SEQ=264605
- The statistics Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009, Mar 30). Major statistics of senior industry 2007. Retrieved November 15, 2011, from http://stat.mw.go.kr/front/statData/ publicationView. jsp?menuId=41&bbsSeq=7&nttSeq=10943&sea rchKey=&searchWord=&nPage=3
- Relationship of workplace violence and perpetrators on sleep disturbance-data from the 4th Korean working conditions survey vol.28, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40557-016-0142-z