- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Caregiver's Burden and Quality of Life of Male Spouses with Stroke Wives
뇌졸중 환자인 부인을 돌보는 남성노인 배우자의 부담감과 건강 관련 삶의 질
- Received : 2012.08.06
- Accepted : 2012.12.10
- Published : 2012.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate caregiver burden and health related quality of life (HRQoL) among male spouses who cared for partners with a stroke. Methods: The subjects were spouses of 121 female patients who visited the neurology outpatients department in one tertiary hospital located in Seoul between February and April in 2011. Results: The mean age of the male caregivers was
Stroke;Caregiver;Male;Burden;Quality of Life
- Ahn, E. Y. (2011, April 14). Korean male do housework 1 hour per day at least in OECD countries. Metro, 2213 , p. 1.
- Archbold, P. G., Stewart, B. J., Greenlick, M. R., & Harvath, T. (1990). Mutuality and preparedness as predictors of caregiver role strain. Research in Nursing and Health 13 (6), 375-384. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770130605
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(2011, December). Stroke facts. Retrived Jun 29, 2012, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site: http://www. cdc.gov/stroke/facts.htm
- Cho, S. I. (2009). KLoSA basic analysis report. Seoul: Korea Labor Institue.
- Choi-Kwon, S., Kim, H. S., Kwon, S. U., & Kim, J. S. (2005). Factors affecting the burden on caregivers of stroke survivors in South Korea. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86 , 1054-1058.
- Han, G. H., & Son, J. Y. (2009). The effects of motives for caregiving and family relationship quality on caregiving burden/reward of the spouse caregivers of frail elderly in Korea: A focus on gender differences. Journal of Korean Family Study Association, 21 (2), 81-109.
- Health and Welfare Statistics Association(2004). Comprehensive survey of living conditions of the people on health and welfare 2004. Retrieved December 16, 2011, from the Health and Welfare Statistics Association Web site: http://www.hws-kyokai.or.jp
- Heuqten, C., Vissar-Meily, A., Post, M., & Lindeman, E. (2006). Care for carers of stroke patients: Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Journal of Rehabilitation Medical, 38 (3), 153-158. https://doi.org/10.1080/16501970500441898
- Jonsson, A. C., Lindgren, I., Hallstrom, B., Norrving, B., & Lindgren, A. (2005). Determinants of quality of life in stroke survivors and their informal caregivers. Stroke, 36 (4), 803-808. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000160873.32791.20 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000160873.32791.20
- Jung, O. B., & Park, J. H. (2004). Burden and Depression among Family Caregivers of Stroke patients. The journal of Kyungpook Nursing Science, 8 (2), 105-116.
- Kang, H. S. (1984). An experimental study of the effects of reinforcement education for rehabilitation on hemiplegia patients' self-care activities. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kang, S. J., Lee, H, J,, & Choi-Kwon, S. (2002). Caregivers Burden in patients with acute stroke. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, 5 (1), 27-37.
- Kee, B. S. (1996). A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 35 (2), 298-307.
- Kim, E. Y., Shin, E. Y., & Kim, Y, M. (2004). Caregiver burden and health related quality of life among stroke caregivers. Journal of Korean Society of Public Health Nursing, 18 (1), 5-13.
- Korean Statistics Information Service, Daejeon, Statistics Korea (2010, December). Views on elderly patients' care. Retrieved December 16, 2011, from the Statistics Korea Web site: http://kosis.kr/ups/ups_01List01.jsp?pubcode=KN
- Korean Statistics Information Service, Daejeon, Statistics Korea (2012, Jun). Statistiocs for death rate by age. Retrieved Jun 29, 2012, from the Statistics Korea Web site: http://kosis. kr/wnsearch/totalSearch.jsp
- Lee, S. Y. (2009). The effect of motivation and social support on burden of spouse caregivers: Focused on gender differences. Unpublished master's thesis. Seoul National University, Seoul.
- McCullagh, E., Brigstocke, G., Donaldson, N., & Kalra, L. (2005). Determinants of caregiving burden and quality of life in caregivers of stroke patients. Stroke, 36 (10), 2181-2186. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000181755.23914.53
- Morimoto, T., Schreiner, A. S., & Asano, H. (2003). Caregiver burden and health-related quality of life among Japanese stroke caregivers. Age and Aging, 32 (2), 218-223. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/32.2.218
- Park, J. H., & Kwon, Y. C. (1989). Standardization of Korean version of the Mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) for use in the elderly, part II. Diagnostic validity. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 27, 125-135.
- Park, S. H. (2010). A Research on husband's experience who care for old spouses with stroke. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul Christian University. Seoul.
- Robert, J. H., Rosemarie, B. K., Allen, W. H., & Patrick, S. (2006). Accidents in Older Caregivers of Persons Surviving Stroke and Their Relation to Caregiver Stress. Rehabilitation Psychology, 51 (2), 15-156. http://dx.doi. org/10.1037/0090-55126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.1037/0090-55188.8.131.52
- Russell, R. (2008). Their story, my story: Health of older men as caregivers. Generations, 32 (1), 62-67.
- Scholte, W. J. M., Hann, R. J., Pijnenborg, J. M. A., Limburg, M., & Bos, A. M. (1998). Assessment of burden in partners of stroke patients with the sense of competence questionnaire. Stroke, 29 (2), 373-379. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.29.2.373
- Suguiura, K., Ito, M. Kutsumi, M., & Mikiami, H. (2009). Gender differences in spousal caregiving in Japan. Journal of Gerontology, 64 (1), 147-156. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbn005 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbn005
- Swieten, J. C., Koudstaal, P. J., Visser, M. C., Schouten, H. J., & Gijn, J. (1988). Interobserver agreement for the assessment of handicap in stroke patients. Stroke, 19 (5), 604- 607. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.19.5.604
- Tigers, T. J., Heesacker, M. Ketterson, T. U., Pekich, D. G., Rittman, M. R., Rosenbek, J. C. et al. (2006). Coping by stroke caregivers: sex similarities and differences. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, 13 (1), 52-62. https://doi.org/10.1310/CJVW-WCPK-2FCV-369P
- Tooth, L., McKenna, K., Barnett, A., Prescott, C., & Murphy, S. (2005). Caregiver burden, time spent caring and health status in the first 12 months following stroke. Brain Injury, 19 (2), 963-974. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699050500110785
- Ware, J. E., Kosinski, M., Dewey, J. E., & Gandek, B. (2001). How to score and interpret Single-Item Health Status Measure: A Manual for Users of the SF-8 Health Survey. Boston: Quality Metric Incorporated.
- Yang, Y. H. (1995). The Relationship with caregiving context and caregiving stress and social support for wives caregivers of chronic ill patients. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, 7 (1), 85-105.
- The Factors affecting Burdens and Quality of Life of the Family Caregivers of Patients with Rare and Incurable Diseases Using Home Ventilators vol.26, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.2.191
- Review of studies on spousal caregivers of frail spouses in South Korea pp.1461-7234, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0020872817731144