- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Subjectivity of the Elderly who Live Alone Caregivers in Perception of Lonely Death
독거노인돌보미의 고독사 인식에 관한 주관성 연구
- Received : 2012.10.10
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2012.12.31
Purpose: This study was to analyzed the types of subjectivity that elderly who live alone caregivers have about the lonely death. Methods: This study objectified the subjective area by applying the Q methodology. It studied 24 caregivers in H region, who responded to 34 Q sample statements. The method of forced distribution was practiced regarding the results on a 9 points Q sample distribution chart. The collected data was analyzed using PC QUANL program. Results: The caregivers' perception of lonely death has been classified into four types: Type 1 ('type of fate-receptive invitation of lonely death'), Type 2 ('type of afterlife-expectantly invitation of lonely death'), Type 3 ('type of death preparation invitation of lonely death'), and type 4 ('type of rejection of lonely death due to attachment with life'). Conclusion: The present study attempts to provide basic resources for the development of nursing-intervention program to solve the problems with lonely death by grasping and understanding the types of the caregivers' perception of lonely death through which it also aims to yield information necessary to improve the quality of life in their remaining years.
Lonely death;Elderly who live alone;Caregivers;Q methodology
- Becker, C. (2004). Death education in america reasons, levels, contents. International Seminar on the World's Education for Preparing Death, 20-35.
- Belsky, J. (1999). The psychology of aging. Monterey, California: Brooks/Cole.
- Chung, H. K., Kim, K. H., Yeun, E. J., Ryu, E. J., Yeoum, S. G., Chung, Y. K., et al. (1999). A study on the subjectivity about death. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 8 (1), 5-16.
- Erikson, E. (1963). Childhood and Society (2nd ed.). New York: Norton.
- Jang, H. S. (2009). The relationships of subjective health, personality traits, happiness and death attitude of the Korean elderly. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 22 (2), 23-40.
- Kim, C. J., & Hwang, J. S. (2008). A study on the effects of senile disease and depression on the seniors' ideation of suicide. Korean Journal of Gerontological Society, 28 (3), 425-442.
- Kim, H. G. (2008). Q Methodology: Philosophy, Theories, Analysis, and Application. Seoul: Communication Books, Inc.
- Kim, K. A. (2004). Research on the posture of the elders who live alone to death. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Busan.
- Kim, K. T., & Park, B. G. (2000). Life Satisfaction and Social Support Network of the Elderly Living Alone. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 20 (1), 153-168.
- Kim, M. H., Kwon, G. J., & Lim, Y. O. (2004). A study on the good death of the elderly-blessing death. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 56 (2), 195-213.
- Kim, M. S., Ha, C. K., & Kim, H. S. (2011). A study on life satisfaction, the view of the afterlife and readiness for death. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 16 (1), 111-136.
- Kim, S. M., Lee, Y. J., & Kim, S. I. (2003). Attributes considered important for a good death among elderly and adults. Korean Journal of Gerontological Society, 23 (3), 95-110.
- Kim, T. H., & Son, Y. S. (1984). A study on attitude of the aged toward death centering on family environment, physical and psychological variance. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 4 (1), 3-19.
- Kim, Y. S., Lee, C. M., Namgoung, S. J., & Kim, H. K. (2011). A study on the social networks effectiveness to prevent the lonely death of the elderly who live alone. Research in Social Science, 50 (2), 143-169.
- Klenow, D. J., & Bolin, R. C. (1989). Belief in an afterlife: A national study. Omega: The Journal of Death and Dying, 20 (1), 63-74. https://doi.org/10.2190/9W8F-1NDB-14MR-YYQF
- Korean Statistical Information Service. (2010). Korean families prospects: 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2012, from Korean Statistical Information Service Web site: http://kosis.kr/ abroad/abroad_01List.jsp?parentld=A
- Ko, S. D., Kim, E. J., & Kim, Y. K. (1999). A study on the influence of the preparative education on the elderly's attitude for death. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 16 (2), 81-92.
- Kwon, Y. S., & Kim, J. N. (2003). A correlation study on spiritual well-being and death anxiety of the elderly. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 14 (1), 132-143.
- Lee, Y. J. (2005). A study on the relationship between elderly consciousness regarding preparation for death and anxiety of death. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul.
- Ministry Health & Welfare. (2010). 2010 Eldery care service guidance. Retrieved August 20, 2012, from Ministry of health & welfare Web site: http://www.mw.go.kr
- Oh, J. T. (2004). Death, a Way to Life. Seoul: Chunglim Press.
- Park, C. H. (2002). Qualitative study on the old man's loneliness. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Busan.
- Park, J. E. (2009). The effects of death education on the emotion, cognition and behavior of the elderly. Journal of Social Work Practice, 8, 79-109.
- Schwartz, A. N., Snyder, C. L., & Peterson, J. A. (1984). Aging and life: An introduction to gerontology (2nd ed.). NY: The Dryden Press.
- Song, Y. M., & Yoo, K. (2011). A study on effects of death education on death anxiety and life satisfaction, psychological well-being in older adults. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 54, 111-134.