- Volume 25 Issue 6
The Bank of Korea changed its method of GDP estimation from a fixed-weighted to a chain-weighted measure in 2009. The fixed-weighted method had had problems such as substitution bias and the rewriting of economic history. As a result of the change, annual growth rates calculated using the chain-weighted method from 1970 through 2008 turned out to be 0.8%p higher on average than the existing rates. The quarterly average chain-weighted growth rates were 0.19%p higher than the fixed-weighted ones, but they changed in the same directions. In this paper we analyze whether the differences in rates between the two calculation methods would bring about a difference in the cyclical characteristics of GDP. We conclude that although there were differences in growth rates after introduction of the chain-weighted method, there was no difference in the cyclical fluctuation.
- Bank of Korea (2009). Understanding of Chain-Weighted GDP, Seoul
- Deaton, A. and Muellbauer, J. (1980). Economic and Consumer Behavior, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Jung, H. and Yeon, S. (2011). Growth Cycle Analysis by Double-HP Filtering, Fall 2011 Korea Statistical Association Meeting.
- Newey, W. K. andWest, K. D. (1987). A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix, Econometrica, 55, 703-708. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913610
- Nilsson, R. and Gyomai, G. (2008). Cycle Extraction, Staff Papers, OECD.
- Pakko, M. R. (1997). The Business Cycle and Chain-weighted GDP: Has Our Perspective Changed?, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 79, 39-49.
- Parker, R. P. and Seskin, E. P (1996). Improved estimates of the national income and product accounts for 1959-95: Results of the comprehensive revision, Survey of Current Business, 76, 1-31.
- Pesaran, M. H. and Timmerman, A. G. (1992). A simple non parametric test of predictive performance, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 10, 461-465.
- Steindel, C. (1995). Chain-weighting: The new approach to measuring GDP, Current Issues in Economics and Finance, 1, 1-5.
- Young, A. H. (1993). Alternative measures of change in real output and prices, quarterly estimates for 1959-92, Survey of Current Business, 73, 31-41.