- Volume 25 Issue 6
This paper examines the relationship between the stock and futures markets in terms of lead-lag relationship, correlation and the hedge ratio using wavelet analysis. The basic finding is that the relationship between the two markets significantly depends on the time-scale. First, there is a feedback relationship between the stock and futures markets in the long-run scale; however, weaker evidence is observed in shorter-run scales. Second, wavelet correlation between the two markets increases for a longer time scale. Third, the hedge ratio and the effectiveness of hedging strategies increase as the investment horizon gets longer. The results in this paper indicate that the stock and futures series are perfectly correlated in the long run and are tied together over long horizons.
- Lee, G. H. (2005a). The economic time series decomposition and forecasting using wavelet, Korea Statistical Society, 2005, 25-30.
- Lee, H. S. (2005b). Wavelet methods for estimating econometric models, Sogang Economic Papers, 34, 163-193.
- Abry, P. A., Veitch, D. and Flandrin, P. (1998). Long range dependence: Revisiting aggregation with wavelets, Journal of Time Series Analysis, 19, 253-266. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9892.00090
- Anderson, T. G. and Sorensen, B. E. (1996). GMM estimation of a stochastic volatility model: A Monte Carlo Study, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 14, 328-352.
- Arino, M. A. (1995). Time Series Forecast via Wavelets: An Application to Car Sales in the Spanish Market, Discussion Paper, 95-30 (Duke University).
- Capobianco, E. (2003). Empirical volatility analysis : Feature detection and signal extraction with function dictionaries, Physica A, 319, 495-518 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4371(02)01369-9
- Gencay, R., Selcuk, F. and Witcher, B. (2001). An Introduction to Wavelets and Other Filtering Methods in Finance and Economics, Academic Press, San Diego.
- Gencay, R., Selcuk, F. and Witcher, B. (2002). Systematic risk and time scales, Quantitative Finance, 3, 108-116.
- Geppert, J. M. (1995). A statistical model for the relationship between futures contract hedging effectiveness and investment horizon length, Journal of Futures Markets, 15, 507-536. https://doi.org/10.1002/fut.3990150502
- Goffe, W. L. (1994). Wavelets on Macroeconomics: An Introduction, in: Computational Techniques for Econometrics and Economic Analysis, D. Belsley (Ed.), 137-149, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Howard, C. T. and D'Antonio, L. J. (1991). Multiperiod hedging using futures: A risk minimization approach in the presence of autocorrelation, Journal of Futures Markets, 11, 697-710. https://doi.org/10.1002/fut.3990110605
- In, F. and Kim, S. (2006). The hedge ratio and the empirical relationship between the stock and the futures markets: A new approach using wavelet analysis, Journal of Business, 79, 799-820. https://doi.org/10.1086/499138
- Kroner, K. F. and Sultan, J. (1993). Time-varying distribution and dynamic hedging with foreign currency futures, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 28, 535-551. https://doi.org/10.2307/2331164
- Lee, G. G. J. (1999). Contemporary and long-run correlations: A covariance component model and studies on the S&P 500 cash and futures markets, Journal of Futures Markets, 19, 877-894. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9934(199912)19:8<877::AID-FUT2>3.0.CO;2-B
- Lien, D. and Luo, X. (1993). Estimating multiperiod hedge ratios in cointegrated markets, Journal of Futures Markets, 13, 909-920. https://doi.org/10.1002/fut.3990130808
- Lien, D. and Luo, X. (1994). Multiperiod hedging in the presence of conditional heteroskedasticity, Journal of Futures Markets, 14, 927-955. https://doi.org/10.1002/fut.3990140806
- Lien, D. and Wilson, B. K. (2001). Multiperiod hedging in the presence of stochastic volatility, International Review of Financial Analysis, 10, 395-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-5219(01)00060-6
- Lindsay, R. W., Percival, D. B. and Rothrock, D. A. (1996). The discrete wavelet transform and the scale analysis of the surface properties of sea ice, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 34, 771-787. https://doi.org/10.1109/36.499782
- Low, A., Muthuswamy, J., Sakar, S. and Terry, E. (2002). Multiperiod hedging with futures contracts, Journal of Futures Markets, 22, 1179-1203. https://doi.org/10.1002/fut.10035
- McCoy, E. J. and Walden, A. T. (1996). Wavelet analysis and synthesis of stationary long-memory process, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 5, 1-31.
- Moschini, G. and Myers, R. J. (2002). Testing for constant hedge ratios in commodity markets: A multivariate GARCH approach, Journal of Empirical Finance, 9, 589-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-5398(02)00012-9
- Percival, D. B. and Walden, A. T. (2000). Wavelet Methods for Time Series Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Ramsey, J. B. and Lampart, C. (1998a). Decomposition of economic relationships by timescale using wavelets: Money and income, Macroeconomic Dynamics, 2, 49-71.
- Ramsey, J. B. and Lampart, C. (1998b). The decomposition of economic relationships by timescale using wavelets: Expenditure and income, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Economics, 3, 23-42.
- Tkacz, G. (2001). Estimating the fractional order of integration of interest rates using a wavelet OLS estimator, Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics, 5, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1162/108118201753421097