- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Application of Resettable Device to Semi-Active Tuned Mass Damper Building Systems for Multi-level Seismic Hazard Mitigation
- Chey, Min-Ho (School of Architecture and Art, Yanbian University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.01.31
- Accepted : 2012.08.01
- Published : 2012.09.30
An innovative multi-story Semi-Active Tuned Mass Damper (SATMD) building system is proposed to control seismic response of existing structures. The application of adding new stories as large tuned mass and semi-active (SA) resettable actuators as central features of the control scheme is derived. For the effective control of the structures, the optimal tuning parameters are considered for the large mass ratio, for which a previously proposed equation is used and the practical optimal stiffness is allocated to the actuator stiffness and rubber bearing stiffness. A two-degree-of freedom (2-DOF) model is adopted to verify the principal efficiency of the suggested structural control concept. The simulations for this study utilizes the three ground motions, from SAC project, having probability of exceedance of 50% in 50 years, 10% in 50 years, and 2% in 50 years for the Los Angeles region. 12-story moment resisting frames, which are modified as '12+2' and '12+4' story structures, are investigated to assess the viability and effectiveness of the system that aims to reduce the response of the buildings to earthquakes. The control ability of the SATMD scheme is compared to that of an uncontrolled and an ideal Passive Tuned Mass Damper (PTMD) building system. From the performance results of suggested '12+2' and '12+4' story retrofitting case studies, SATMD systems shows significant promise for application of structural control where extra stories might be added.
- Barroso, L.R., Chase, J.G., and Hunt, S. (2003) "Resettable smart dampers for multi-level seismic hazard mitigation of steel moment frames." Journal of Structural Control, 10(1): 41-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.16
- Bobrow, J.E., and Jabbari, F. (1997) "A High-performance Semiactive Controller for Structural Vibration Suppression." Smart Structures and Materials, SPIE, 3041.
- Carr, A.J. (2007) Ruaumoko - Computer Program Library, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Charng, P.H. (1998) "Base isolation for multistory building structures." PhD Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Chase, J.G., Barroso, L.R., and Hunt, S. (2004) "The impact of total acceleration control for semi-active earthquake hazard mitigation." Engineering Structures, 26(2): 201-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.09.008
- Chase, J. G., Mulligan, K. J., Gue, A., Alnot, T., Rodgers, G., Mander, J. B., Elliott, R., Deam, B., Cleeve, L., and Heaton, D. (2006) "Reshaping hysteretic behaviour using semi-active resettable device dampers." Engineering Structures, 28(10), 1418-1429. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.011
- Chey, M.H., Chase, J.G., Mander, J.B. and Carr, A.J. (2010) "Semi- Active Tuned Mass Damper Building Systems: Design." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 39(2): 119-139.
- Hunt, S.J. (2002) "Semi-active smart-dampers and resettable actuators for multi-level seismic hazard mitigation of steel moment resisting frames." ME Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Jabbari, F., and Bobrow, J. E. (2002) "Vibration suppression with resettable device." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 128(9): 916-924. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:9(916)
- Jury, R.D. (1978) "Seismic load demands on columns of reinforced concrete multistorey frames." ME Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Mulligan, K., Chase, J., Gue, A., Alnot, T., Rodgers, G., Mander, J., Elliott, R., Deam, B., Cleeve, L., and Heaton, D. (2005) "Large Scale Resetable Devices for Multi-Level Seismic Hazard Mitigation of Structures." Proc. 9th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability (ICOSSAR), Rome, Italy, 19-22.
- NZS4203 (1976) "New Zealand Standard; Code of Practice for General Structural Design and Design Loadings for Buildings." Standards Association of New Zealand (SANZ).
- NZS4203 (1992) "New Zealand Standard; Code of Practice for General Structural Design and Design Loadings for Buildings." Standards Association of New Zealand (SANZ).
- Pan, T.-C., Ling, S.-F., and Cui, W. (1995) "Seismic response of segmental buildings." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 24(7): 1039-1048. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240708
- Pan, T.C., and Cui, W. (1998) "Response of segmental buildings to random seismic motions." ISET Journal of Engineering Technology, 35(4): 105-112.
- Paulay T. (1976) "Moment redistribution in continuous beams of earthquake resistant multistory reinforced concrete frames." Bulletin of the New Zealand National Society of Earthquake Engineering, 9(4): 205-212.
- Rodgers, G.W., Mander, J.B., Chase, J.G., Mulligan, K.J., Deam, B.L., and Carr, A.J. (2007) "Re-shaping hysteretic behaviour - Spectral analysis and design equations for semi-active structures." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 36(1), 77-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.624
- Sadek, F., Mohraz, B., Taylor, A.W., and Chung, R.M. (1997) "A method of estimating the parameters of tuned mass dampers for seismic applications." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 26(6): 617-635. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199706)26:6<617::AID-EQE664>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Sommerville, P., Smith, N., Punyamurthula, S., and Sun, J. (1997) "Development of ground motion time histories for Phase II of the FEMA/SAC steel project." SAC Background Document Report No. SAC/BD-97/04
- Tian, Z., Qian, J., and Zhang, L. (2008) "Slide roof systems for dynamic response reduction." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 37(4): 647-658. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.780
- Villaverde, R. (2002) "Aseismic roof isolation system: Feasibility study with 13-story building." Journal of Structural Engineering, 128(2): 188-196. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:2(188)
- Warburton G.B. (1982) "Optimum absorber parameters for various combinations of response and excitation parameters." Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 10: 381-401. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100304