- Volume 30 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Design by Topology Optimization and Performance Test of Ultrasonic Bonding Module for Flip-Chip Packaging
초음파 플립칩 접합 모듈의 위상최적화 설계 및 성능 실험
- Kim, Ji Soo (Dept. of Energy and Environmental System Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Jong Min (Dept. of Energy and Environmental System Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Soo Il (Dept. of Mechanical and Information Engineering, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2012.12.06
- Accepted : 2012.12.17
- Published : 2012.12.31
Ultrasonic bonding is the novel packaging method for flip-chip with high yield and low-temperature bonding. The bonding module is a core part of the bonding machine, which can transfer the ultrasonic energy into the bonding spot. In this paper, we propose topology optimization technique which can make new design of boding modules due to the constraints on resonance frequency and mode shapes. The designed bonding module using topology optimization was fabricated in order to evaluate the bonding performance and reliable operation during the continuous bonding process. The actual production models based on the proposed design satisfied the target frequency range and ultrasonic power. The bonding test was performed using flip-chip with lead-free Sn-based bumps, the results confirmed that the bonding strength was sufficient with the designed bonding modules. Also the performance degradation of the bonding module was not observed after the 300-hour continuous process with bonding conditions.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- P. Elenius, L. Levine : Comparing Flip-chip and Wire-bond Interconnection Technologies, Chip Scale Review, 4(2000), 81.
- Q. Tan, W. Zhang, B. Schaible, L. J. Bond : Thermosonic Flip-chip Bonding Using Longitudinal Ultrasonic Vibration, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology, 21 (1998), 53-58 https://doi.org/10.1109/96.659506
- S. Gao : New Technologies for Lead-Free Flip Chip Assembly, Ph.D. Dissertation, (2005), University of London
- S. R. Kim, J. H. Lee, C. D. Yoo : Design of Cylinder Horn for Ultrasonic Welding, Journal of KWJS, 27-4 (2009), 60-66 (in Korean)
- M. P. Bendsøe, O. Sigmund : Topology Optimization, Springer (2002)
- C. Y. Ha : Vibration Design in Ultrasonic Horn Using Topology Optimization, M.S. Thesis, 2011, University of Seoul (in Korean)
- O. Sigmund : A 99 Line Topology Optimization Code written in Matlab, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 21 (2001), 120-127 https://doi.org/10.1007/s001580050176
- C. Y. Ha, S. I. Lee : 2D and 3D Topology Optimization with Target Frequency and Modes of Ultrasonic Horn for Flip-Chip Bonding, Submitted to the Transactions of Korean Society for Sound and Vibration Engineering, 2012 (in Korean)
- J. M. Koo, J. W. Kim, J. W. Yoon, B. I. Noh, C. Y. Lee, J. H. Moon, C. D. Yoo, S. B. Jung : Ultrasonic Bonding Technology for Flip Chip Packaging, Journal of KWJS, 26-1(2008), 31-36 (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2008.26.1.031
- L. K. Cheah, Y. M. Tan, J. Wei, C. K. Wong : Gold to Gold Thermosonic Flip-Chip Bonding, SPIE proceedings series; Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, 2001
- T. A. Ryan : Minitab Reference Manual, Minitab, Inc., 1986.