- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Model of Information Exchange for Decentralized Congestion Management
- Song, Sung-Hwan (Smart Grid Research Center, Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, Jae-Woo (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Yoon, Yong-Tae (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Moon, Seung-Il (School of Electrical Engineering, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.01.10
- Accepted : 2011.09.30
- Published : 2012.03.01
The present study examines an efficient congestion management system compatible with the evolving environment. The key is to build an information model shared and exchanged for marketbased solutions to alleviate congestion. Traditional methods for congestion management can be classified into two categories, i.e., the centralized scheme and the decentralized scheme, depending on the extent to which the independent system operator (ISO) is involved in market participants' (MPs) activities. Although the centralized scheme is more appropriate for providing reliable system operation and relieving congestion in near real-time, the decentralized scheme is preferred for supporting efficient market operation. The minimum set of information between the ISO and MPs for decentralized scheme is identified: i) congestion-based zone, ii) Power Transfer Distribution Factors, and iii) transmission congestion cost. The mathematical modeling of the proposed information is expressed, considering its process of making effective use of information. Numerical analysis is conducted to demonstrate both cost minimization from the MP perspective and the reliability enhancement from the ISO perspective based on the proposed information exchange scheme.
- J. Fu and J. W. Lamont, "A combined framework for service identification and congestion management," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 672-680, February 2001.
- W. Hogan, "Contract networks for electric power transmission rights," J. Regul. Econ., 4, (3), pp. 211- 242, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00133621
- H. P. Chao and S. C. Peck, "A market mechanism for electric power transmission," J. Regul. Econ., 10, (1), pp. 25-59, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00133357
- H. P. Chao, S. C Peck, S. Oren, and R. Wilson, "Flow-based transmission rights and congestion management," Electr. J., 13, (8), pp. 38-58, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1040-6190(00)00146-9
- W. Hogan, "Flowgate rights and wrongs", working paper, Harvard University, 2000, [Online]. http://ksghome.harvard.edu/-whogan/
- P. Wei, Y. Ni and F.F. Wu, "Decentralized approach for congestion management and congestion price discovering," IEE Porc.-Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 149, No. 6, pp.471-476, November 2002.
- J. A. Aguado, V. H. Quintana, M. Madrigal and W. D. Rosehart, "Coordinated spot market for congestion management of inter-regional electricity market," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 180-187, February 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.820693
- P. N. Biskas and A. G. Bakirtzis, "Decentralized congestion management of interconnected power systems," IEE Porc.-Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 149, No. 4, pp. 471-476, July 2002.
- C. N. Yu, M. Ilic, "Congestion clusters-based markets for transmission management," proceedings of the IEEE PES Winter Meeting, New York, 1999.
- L. M. Kimball, K. A. Clements, S. Pajic, and P. W. Davis, "Stochastic OPF by constraint relaxation," proceedings of 2003 IEEE Blogna PowerTech Conference, June 2003.
- S. Hao and D. Shirmohammadi, "Congestion management with Ex Ante pricing for decentralized electricity market," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 1030-1036, November 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.804944
- S. Hao, "Decentralized approach to intermarket congestion management," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 675-683, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.846094
- M. I. Alomoush and S.M. Ahaidehpour, "Fixed transmission rights for zonal congestion management," IEE Porc.-Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 146, No. 5, pp.471-476, September 1999. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:19990441
- R. Mendez and H. Rudnick, "Congestion management and transmission rights in centralized electric market," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 889-896, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.821617
- Y. T. Yoon, "Electric power network economics: Designing principles for for-profit Independent Transmission Company and underlying architecture for reliability," MIT: Ph.D. Thesis, June 2001.
- Y. Fu and Z, Li, "Different models and properties on LMP calculations," proceedings of the IEEE PES General Meeting, 2006.
- Solving Mixed Strategy Nash-Cournot Equilibria under Generation and Transmission Constraints in Electricity Market vol.8, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.675
- Strategy Equilibrium in Stackelberg Model with Transmission Congestion in Electricity Market vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.090