- Volume 2 Issue 1
There are few reports about the beliefs of psoriasis patients related to their disorder and therapy modalities except for the medical ones. We aimed to investigate the beliefs of psoriasis patients about their disorders, where they had attended therapies unrelated to dermatologists and what modality of unconventional therapies they used for psoriasis in Turkey. The study was performed on 141 psoriasis patients. The age, sex, education status and the number of visits to the dermatology clinics were recorded. How the patients decided to visit the dermatology clinic (themselves, directed by others), where they attended for treatment of psoriasis outside of the dermatologist, what they think about the causes of their disease and what they used for treatment of psoriasis were asked. The mean age of the patients was
- Bartosinska JP, Pietrzak A, Szepietowski J, Dreiher J, Maciejewski R, Chodorowska G. Traditional Chinese medicine herbs - are they safe for psoriatic patients? Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2011;49(2):201-205. https://doi.org/10.5603/FHC.2011.0027
- Ben-Arye E, Ziv M, Frenkel M, Lavi I, Rosenman D. Complemantary medicine and psoriasis: linking the patient's Outlook with evidence-based medicine. Dermatology. 2003;207:302-307. https://doi.org/10.1159/000073094
- Brantner A, Males Z, Pepeljnjak S, Antolic A. Antimicrobial activity of Paliurus spina-christi Mill. (Christ's thorn). J Ethnopharmacol. 1996;52(2):119-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(96)01408-0
- Fortune DG, Richards HL, Main CJ, Griffiths CE. What patients with psoriasis believe about their condition. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1998;39:196-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0190-9622(98)70074-X
- Gonul M, Gul U, Cakmak SK, Kilic S. Unconventional medicine in dermatology outpatients in Turkey. Int J Dermatol. 2009;48(6):639-644. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2009.04043.x
- Jensen P. Use of alternative medicine by patients with atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. Acta Derm Venereol. 1990;70:421-424.
- Jensen P. Alternative therapy for atopic dermatitis and psoriasis: patient-reported motivation, information source and effect. Acta Derm Venereol. 1990;70:425-428.
- Magin PJ, Adams J, Heading GS, Pond DC, Smith W. Complemantary and alternative medicine therapies in acne, psoriasis, and atopic eczema: results of a qualitative study of patients' experiences and perceptions. J Altern Complement Med. 2006;12:451-457. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2006.12.451
- Mosaddegh M, Khoshnood MJ, Kamalinejad M, Alizadeh E. Study on the effect of Paliurus spina-christii on cholesterol, Trigliceride and HDL levels in diabetic male rats fed a high cholesterol diet. IJPR. 2004;3:51-54.
- Nevitt GJ, Hutchinson PE. Psoriasis in the community: prevalence, severity and patients' beliefs and attitudes towards the disease. Br J Dermatol. 1996;135:533-537. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1996.tb03826.x
- Rigopoulos D, Gregoriou S, Katrinaki A, Korfitis C, Larios G, Stamou C, Mourellou O, Petridis A, Rallis E, Sotiriadis D, Katsambas AD, Antoniou C. Characteristics of psoriasis in Greece: an epidemiological study of a population in a sunny Mediterranean climate. Eur J Dermatol. 2010;20(2):189-195.
- Ryan S. Psoriasis: characteristics, psychosocial effects and treatment options. Br J Nurs. 2008;17:284-290. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2008.17.5.28823
- Traub M, Marshall K. Psoriasis--pathophysiology, conventional, and alternative approaches to treatment. Altern Med Rev. 2007;12(4):319-330.
- Treloar V. Integrative dermatology for psoriasis: facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol. 2010;28(1):93-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2009.03.016
- Wolf K, Goldsmith LA, Katz SI, Gilchrest BA, Paller AS, Leffell DJ. In Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine 7th ed. (New York : Mc Graw Hill), pp. 169-193, 2008.