- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Local Three-Dimensional Visualization Methodology for Effective Analysis of Construction Environments in Extreme Cold Regions
효과적인 극한지 건설환경 분석을 위한 현지 3차원 가시화 방안 연구
- Kim, Eui Myoung (Dept. of GIS Engineering, Namseoul University) ;
- Lee, Woo Sik (ICT Convergence and Integration Research Division, KICT) ;
- Hong, Chang Hee (ICT Convergence and Integration Research Division, KICT)
- Received : 2012.10.02
- Accepted : 2012.12.28
- Published : 2012.12.31
For construction project in extreme cold region, it is essential to establish basic data on the site such as topographical data from the early stage of construction of planning and designing, and it is needed to frequently perform site investigation when necessary. However, extreme cold regions are characteristic of being at long distance and difficult in approaching, and special regions such as Antarctica, in particular, are hard to conduct site investigation. Although a site investigation may be conducted, those who can visit Antarctica are sufficiently limited so that most of the staff may participate in construction without knowledge of the site and increase the risk of errors in decision making or designing. In order to resolve such problems, the authors in this study identified methods of building wide-area topographical data and bedrock classification data of exposed areas via remote sensing and of building precise topographical data on the construction site. Also, the authors attempted to present methods by which such data can be managed and visualized integrally via three-dimensional GIS technology and all the participants in construction can learn sense of field and conduct necessary analysis as frequent as possible. The areas around the Jangbogo Antarctic Station were selected to be the research area for conducting effective integrational management and three-dimensional visualization of various spatial data such as wide-area digital elevation model, ortho-images, bedrock classification data, local precise digital elevation model, and site images. The results of this study may enable construction firms to analyze local environments for construction whenever they need for construction in extreme cold regions and then support construction work including decision making or designing.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Construction Technology(KICT)
- Jang, Y., Choi, Y., Cho, G.,, 2011, A Study of 3D Modeling of Compressed Urban LiDAR Data Using VRML, Journal of the Korean Society for Geo-spatial Information System, 19(2):3-8.
- Kim, E., Hong, C., 2011, Generation of Topographic Map Using GeoEye-1 Satellite Imagery for Construction of the Jangbogo Antarctic Station, Journal of the Korean Society for Geo-spatial Information System, 19(4):101-108.
- Kim, S., Hong, C., 2012, Antarctic land-cover classification using IKONOS and Hyperion data at Terra Nova Bay, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 33(22):7151-7164. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2012.700136
- Kim. S., Kim, T., Hong, C., 2010, A Study on Classification of Bed rock over Antarctic Terra Nova Bay using Hyperspectral Image, Journal of Korea Spatial Information Society, 18(5):55-61.
- Kim, S., Lee, K., Ma, J., Kook, M., 2005, Current Status of Hyperspectral Remote Sensing : Principle, Data Processing Techniques, and Applications, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, 21(4):341-369.
- Hong, C., Kim, S., 2011, Land cover classification using IKONOS image on Terra Nova Bay, Antarctic Area, 5th International Conference "Earth from Space-the Most Effective Solutions"
- Hong, C., Kim, T., Bae, G., 2010, A Study On Application Methods Of Satellite Images For The Construction Projects Over Extreme Cold Regions - Focus on The Construction Case of 2nd Antarctic Base, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 13(4):148-156.
- Park, S., Lee, J., 2009, Comparative Analysis of 3D Spatial Data Models, Journal of GIS Association of Korea, 17(3):277-285.
- Skyline Software Systems, 2011, Terra- Explorer Pro User Guide Version 6.1.
- Williams L., 1983, Pyramidal parametrics, Proceedings of the 10th annual conference on Computer graphics and interactive techniques, pp. 1-11.
- Yun, B., Lee, J., Shon, H., 2009, Construction of Geographic Informations on King Sejong Station in Antarctica Using Lightweight Aerial Photogrammetry System, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 29(1D):121-128.