- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Optimal 3D FE Model for Evaluation of Peening Residual Stress Under Angled Multi-impacts
다중경사충돌시 피닝잔류응력 평가를 위한 최적의 3차원 유한요소모델
- Hyun, Hong-Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hyung (Gas Turbine Technology Service Center, KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering Co.) ;
- Lee, Hyung-Yil (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Sogang Univ.)
- Received : 2010.10.26
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2012.02.01
The FE model for shot peening often assume that shots impact vertically on the engineering parts to generate compressive residual stresses. However, the shots obliquely impact on the surface in actual peening. In this work, we propose a 3D finite element (FE) model for evaluation of residual stress under angled shot peening. Using the FE model for angled multi-impact, we examine the effects of factors such as impact angle, impact pattern and the number of shots. Plastic deformation of shot is also considered. To validate the model, we then compare the FE solution with experimental result by X-ray diffraction (XRD). The proposed model will be a base of 3D multi-impact FE model with diverse impact angles.
Angled impact;Peening residual stress;Finite element model;Multi-shots
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Carlsson, S. and Larsson, P. L., 2001, "On the Determination of Residual Stress and Strain Fields by Sharp Indentation Testing. Part I: Theoretical and Numerical Analysis," Acta Materialia, Vol. 49, pp. 2179-2191. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(01)00122-7
- Suresh, S. and Giannakopoulos, A. E., 1998, "A New Method for Estimating Residual Stresses by Instrumented Sharp Indentation," Acta Materialia, Vol. 46, pp. 5755-5767. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(98)00226-2
- Al Obaid, Y. F., 1990, "A Rudimentary Analysis of Improving Fatigue Life of Metals by Shot Peening," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 307-312.
- Al-Hassani, S. T. S., 1981, "Mechanical Aspects of Residual Stress Development in Shot Peening," 1st International Conference on Shot Peening, pp. 583-602.
- Al-Obaid, Y. F., 1995, "Shot Peening Mechanics: Experimental and Theoretical Analysis," Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 19, pp. 251-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6636(94)00036-G
- Hills, D. A., Waterhouse, R. B. and Noble, B., 1983, "An Analysis of Shot Peening," Journal of Strain Analysis, Vol. 18, pp. 95-100. https://doi.org/10.1243/03093247V182095
- Schiffner, K. and Helling, C., 1999, "Simulation of Residual Stresses by Shot Peening," Computers & Structures, Vol. 72, pp. 329-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00012-7
- Han, K., Peric, D., Owen, D. R. J. and Yu, J., 2000, "A Combined Finite/Discrete Element Simulation of Shot Peening Processes Part II: 3D Interaction Laws," Engineering Computations, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 680-702. https://doi.org/10.1108/02644400010340615
- Meguid, S. A., Shagal, G. and Stranart, J. C., 2002, "3D FE Analysis of Peening of Strain-Rate Sensitive Materials using Multiple Impingement Model," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 27, pp. 119-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(01)00043-4
- Majzoobi, G. H., Azizi, R. and Alavi N. A., 2005, "A Three-Dimensional Simulation of Shot peening Process using Multiple Shot Impacts," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 164-165, pp. 1226 - 1234. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.02.139
- Kim, T. Lee, H., Hyun H. C. and Jung S., 2011, "A Simple but Effective FE Model with Plastic Shot for Evaluation of Peening Residual Stress and Its Experimental Validation," Material Science and Engineering A, Vol. 528, No. 18, pp. 5945-5954. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.04.012
- Kim, T. and Lee, H., 2008, "A 3D FEA Model with Plastic Shots for Evaluation of Peening Residual Stress due to Multi-Impacts," KSME (A), Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 642-653.
- Bagherifard, S., Ghelichi, R. and Guagliano, M., 2010, "A Numerical Model of Severe Shot Peening (SSP) to Predict the Generation of a Nanostructured Surface Layer of Material," Surface & Coatings Technology, Vol. 204, pp. 4081-4090. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.05.035
- Kim, T. W., Yang, Z. R., Ha, D. H. and Lee Y., 2011, "Effect of Strain Rate and Material Hardness on Residual Stress in Multiple Impact Shot Peening," KSME(A), Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 1369-1375.
- Hassani-Gangaraj, S. M., Guagliano, M. and Farrahi, G. H., 2011, "Finite Element Simulation of Shot Peening Coverage with the Special Attention on Surface Nanocrystallization," Procedia Engineering, Vol. 10, pp. 2464-2471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.04.406
- Kim, T. J., Kim, N. S., Park, S. C. and Jeong, W. W., 2002, " Finite Element Analysis of Shot Peening Effected by Multiple Impacts," KSME (A), Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 2656-2661.
- Kim, T., Lee, J. H., Lee, H. and Cheong, S. K., 2010, "An Area-averaged Approach to Peening Residual Stress Under Multi-impacts Using a Three-Dimensional Symmetry-cell Finite Element Model with Plastic Shots," Materials & Design, Vol. 31, pp. 50-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.07.032
- Baek, S., Yang, W. H., Seok, C. S. and Ryu, M. H., 2003, "Residual Stress Analysis of Inclined Shot Peening Using Finite Element Method," KSME (A) Spring Annual Meeting, pp. 328-333.
- Miao, H. Y., Larose, S., Perron, C. and Levesque, M., 2009, "On the Potential Applications of a 3D Random Finite Element Model for the Simulation of Shot Peening," Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 40, pp. 1023-1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2009.03.013
- Hong, T., Ooi, J. Y. and Shaw, B., 2008a, "A Numerical Simulation to Relate the Shot Peening Parameters to the Induced Residual Stresses," Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 1097-1110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2007.11.017
- Hong, T., Ooi, J. Y. and Shaw, B., 2008b, "A Numerical Study of the Residual Stress Pattern from Single Shot Impacting on a Metallic Component," Advances in Engineering Software, Vol. 39, pp. 743 - 756. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2007.10.002
- ABAQUS User's Manual, 2006, Ver. 6.7, Hibbitt, Karlsson and Sorensen, Inc., Pawtucket, RI.
- Torres M.A.S. and Voorwald H.J.C., 2002, "An Evaluation of Shot Peening, Residual Stress and Stress Relaxation on the Fatigue Life of AISI 4340 Steel," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 24, pp. 877-886. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00205-5
- Lee, B., Kim, T. and Lee, H., 2010, "3D FE Model with FEA Factors and Plastic Shots for Residual Stress Under Oblique Shot Peening," KSME(A), Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 323-331.
- Menig R. M., Pintschovius L., Schulze V. and Vohringer O., 2001, "Depth Profiles of Macro Residual Stress in Thin Shot Peened Plates Determined by X-ray and Neutron Diffraction, " Scripta Materialia, Vol. 45, pp. 977-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(01)01063-6
- Chung S. J. and Back S. D., 1998, "Effect of Shot Peening on Fatigue Properties in Spring Steel," KSME (A), Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 1009-1015.