- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Welding Residual Stress Distributions for Dissimilar Metal Nozzle Butt Welds in Pressurized Water Reactors
가압경수로 노즐 맞대기 이종금속용접부의 용접잔류응력 예측
- Kim, Ji-Soo (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Ju-Hee (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Bae, Hong-Yeol (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Oh, Chang-Young (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Kim, Yun-Jae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ.) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Soo (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Song, Tae-Kwang (Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety)
- 김지수 (고려대학교) ;
- 김주희 (고려대학교) ;
- 배홍열 (고려대학교) ;
- 오창영 (고려대학교) ;
- 김윤재 (고려대학교) ;
- 이경수 (한국수력원자력(주)) ;
- 송태광 (한국원자력안전기술원)
- Received : 2010.12.13
- Accepted : 2011.12.14
- Published : 2012.02.01
In pressurized water nuclear reactors, dissimilar metal welds are susceptible to primary water stress corrosion cracking. To access this problem, accurate estimation of welding residual stresses is important. This paper provides general welding residual stress profiles in dissimilar metal nozzle butt welds using finite element analysis. By introducing a simplified shape for dissimilar metal nozzle butt welds, changes in the welding residual stress distribution can be seen using a geometry variable. Based on the results, a welding residual stress profile for dissimilar metal nozzle butt welds is proposed that modifies the existing welding residual stress profile for austenitic pipe butt welds.
Dissimilar Metal Weld(DMW);Primary Water Reactors(PWR);Welding Residual Stress Distribution;Finite Element Method(FEM);Primary Water Stress Corrosion Crack(PWSCC)
- EPRI, 2004, "Materials Reliability Program: Welding Residual and Operation Stresses in PWR Alloy 182 Butt Welds (MRP-106), EPRI Report
- Moffat, G., Bamford, W. H. and Seeger, D., 2001, "Development of the Technical Basis for Plant Startup for the V.C Summer Nuclear Plant," Trans. of ASME PVP conference, PVP-Vol. 427, pp.33-39
- Kim, J.S., Jin, T.E., Dong, P. and Prager, M., 2003, "Development of Residual Stress Analysis Procedure for Fitness-For-Service "Assessment of Welded Structure," Trans of the KSME(A), Vol. 27, pp.713-723
- Brust, F.W. and Scott, P. M., 2007, "Weld Residual Stresses and Primary Water Stress Corrosion Cracking in Bimetal Nuclear Pipe Welds," Proc. ASME PVP, PVP2007-26297.
- ABAQUS (2007) ABAQUS Standard/User's Manual, Version 6.7. Dassault Systemes Inc.
- Brickstad, B. and Josefson, B. L., 1998, "A Parametric Study of Residual Stresses in Multi-Pass Butt-Welded Stainless Steel Pipes," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 75, pp. 11-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-0161(97)00117-8
- Yaghi, A., Gyde, T. H., Becker, A. A., Sun, W. and Williams, J. A., 2006, "Residual Stress Simulation in Thin and Thick-Walled Stainless Steel Pipe Welds Including Pipe Diameter Effects," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 83, pp. 864-874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2006.08.014
- Dong, P. and Zhang, J., 1999, "Residual Stresses in Strength-Mismatched Welds and Implications on Fracture Behavior," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 64, pp. 485-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(99)00088-0
- Bouchard, P. J., 2008, "Validated Residual Stress Profiles for Fracture Assessments of Stainless Steel Pipe Girth Welds," International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 84, pp. 195-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2006.10.006
- R6, Revision 4: Assessment of the Integrity of Structures Containing Defects, 2006, British Energy Generation Ltd, Gloucester, UK.
- API 579-1/ASME FFS-1, 2007, "Fitness-for-Service for Pressure Vessels, Piping and Storage Tanks," American Petroleum Institute/American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- ASME Sec. XI Task Group for Piping Flaw Evaluation, 1986, "Evaluation of Flaws in Austenitic Steel Piping," Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 108(3), pp.352-366 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3264797
- Rudland, D., Zhang, T., Wilkowski, G. and Csontos, A, 2008, "Welding Residual Stress Solutions for Dissimilar Metal Surge Line Nozzles Welds," Proc ASME PVP, PVP2008-61285.
- Ogawa, N., Muroya, I., Iwamoto, Y., Hojo, K., Ogawa, K., Kinston, E. and Smith, D. J, 2009, "Residual Stress Evaluation of Dissimilar Weld Joint Using Reactor Vessel Outlet Nozzle Mock-up Model (report-2)," Proc ASME PVP, PVP2009-77269.
- Song, T.K., Bae, H.Y., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, K.S. and Park, C.Y., 2008, "Estimation of Residual Stress Distribution for Pressurizer Nozzle of Kori Nuclear Power Plant Considering Safe End," Trans of the KSME(A), Vol. 32, pp. 668-677.
- Song, T.K., Chun, Y.B., Oh, C.Y., Bae, H.Y., Kim, Y.J., Lee, S.H., Lee, K.S., Park, C.Y., 2009, "Effect of Similar Metal Weld on Residual Stress in Dissimilar Metal Weld According to Safe End Length," Trans of the KSME(A), Vol. 33, pp. 664-672.
- Cofie, N. G., Dijamco, D. G., Limpus, C. R., Cirilli, J. J., Malikowski, H. M. and Roberts, A. T., 2006, "Residual Stress Analysis of a Bimetallic Weld Subjected to Stress Improvement and Weld Overlay Repair," Proc. ASME PVP, PVP2006-ICPVT-11-93455.
- Dennis, R. J., Leggatt, N. A. and Gregg, A., 2006, "Optimization of Weld Modeling Techniques-Beadon-Plate Analysis," Proc. ASME PVP, PVP2006-ICPVT-11-93907.
- Stress Distribution in the Dissimilar Metal Butt Weld of Nuclear Reactor Piping due to the Simulation Technique for the Repair Welding vol.37, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.5.649
- Investigation into Variations of Welding Residual Stresses and Redistribution Behaviors for Different Repair Welding Widths vol.38, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.2.177