- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation of the Vastus Medialis on Pain and Muscle Function in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
내측광근의 신경근전기자극(NMES)이 퇴행성 슬관절염 환자의 통증 및 근 기능에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2011.11.21
- Published : 2012.01.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the functional changes of the vastus medialis while the neuromuscular electrical stimulation(NMES) was performed in elderly women with knee osteoarthritis. The subjects of this study were 30 women who were diagnosed degenerative arthritis, 15 in the experimental group and 15 in the control group. The experimental group performed conventional physical therapy and neuromuscular electrical stimulation, and the control group received only conventional physical therapy, five times per week for four weeks. Outcome measures were assessed before and after 4weeks using the VAS(pain), quadriceps femoris strength, thigh circumference, and Q-angle. The data of the quadriceps femoris strength and thigh circumference were significantly increased in experimental group(p<0.05). The data the pain was significantly decreased in both the two groups(p<0.05). There were statistically significant differences in quadriceps femoris strength and thigh circumference between the two groups(p<0.05). As the result, the application of neuromuscular electrical stimulation of the vastus medialis could be more effective for decrease pain and improving muscle function in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation;Vastus Medialis;Quadriceps Femoris Strength;Q-angle
- J. W. Bijlsma and K. Knahr, "Strategies for the prevention and management of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee," Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol, Vol.21, No.1, pp.59-76, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2006.08.013
- 배성수, 김호봉, 이상용, 김은영, "슬개대퇴골각에 관한 고찰", 대한물리치료학회지, 제13권, 제1호, pp.197-204, 2001.
- 조형준, 장종범, 정재욱, 성상철, 김태균, "한국 고령인구에서 방사선학적 평가에 의한 슬관절 퇴행성 관절염의 유병률", 대한슬관절학회지, 제21권, 제4호, pp.223-231, 2009.
- 김하용, 양측 퇴행성 슬관절염 환자의 컴퓨터 3차원적 보행분석, 원광대학교 의학대학원 박사학위논문, 2006.
- 방희명, "키네시오 테이핑이 고령자의 슬관절 등 속성 근 기능 및 통증에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제6권, 제12호, pp.226-234, 2006.
- K. Baker and T. McAlindon, "Exercise for knee osteoarthritis," Curr Opin Rheumatol, Vol.12, No.5, pp.456-463, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002281-200009000-00020
- J. A. Buckwalter and N. E. Lane, "Athletics and osteoarthritis," Am J Sports Med, Vol.25, No.6, pp.873-881, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659702500624
- L. Saxon, C. Finch, and S. Bass, "Sports participation, sports injuries and osteoarthritis: implications for prevention," Sports Med, Vol.28, No.2, pp.123-135, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199928020-00005
- M. V. Hurley, D. L. Scott, J. Rees, and D. J. Newham, "Sensorimotor changes and functional performance in patients with knee osteoarthritis," Ann Rheum Dis, Vol.56, No.11, pp.641-648, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.56.11.641
- Carolyn Kisner and Lynn Allen Colby, Therapeutic exercise foundation and techniques, F. A. Davis Company; 4th edition, 2002.
- R. J. Kaplan, A. N. Vo, T. P. Stitik, L. B. Kamen, A. A. Bitar, and V. C. Shih, "Rehabilitation of orthopedic and rheumatologic disorders. 1. Osteoporosis assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.86, No.3, Suppl 1, pp.S40-47, 2005.
- N. M. Fisher and D. R. Pendergast, "Effects of a muscle exercise program on exercise capacity in subjects with osteoarthritis," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.75, No.7, pp.792-797, 1994.
- Y. M. Kots, Electrostimulation; Canadian-Soviet exchange symposium on electro stimulation of skeletal muscles, Concoridia University, 1997.
- D. A. Canapp, "Select modalities," Clin Tech Small Anim Pract, Vol.22, No.4, pp.160-165, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ctsap.2007.09.004
- A. Delitto, J. M. McKowen, J. A. McCarthy, R. A. Shively, and S. J. Rose, "Electrically elicited co-contraction of thigh musculature after anterior cruciate ligament surgery. A description and single-case experiment," Phys Ther, Vol.68, No.1, pp.45-50, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/68.1.45
- L. Martin, G. Cometti, M. Pousson, and B. Morlon, "Effects of electrical stimulation training on the contractile characteristics of the triceps surae muscle," Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol, Vol.67, No.5, pp.457-461, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00376463
- F. Pichon, J. C. Chatard, A. Martin, and G. Cometti, "Electrical stimulation and swimming performance," Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.27, No.12, pp.1671-1676, 1995.
- S. Colson, A. Martin, and J. Van Hoecke, "Re-examination of training effects by electrostimulation in the human elbow musculoskeletal system," Int J Sports Med, Vol.21, No.4, pp.281-288, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2000-8882
- D. A. Lake, "Neuromuscular electrical stimulation. An overview and its application in the treatment of sports injuries," Sports Med, Vol.13, No.5, pp.320-336, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199213050-00003
- J. M. Gaines, E. J. Metter, and L. A. Talbot, "The effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation on arthritis knee pain in older adults with osteoarthritis of the knee," Appl Nurs Res, Vol.17, No.3, pp.201-206, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2004.06.004
- H. barbeau, K. Norman, J. Fung, M. Visintin, and M. Ladouceur, "Does neurorehabilitation play a role in the recovery of walking in neurological populations?," Ann N Y Acad Sci, Vol.16, No.860, pp.377-392, 1998.
- J. H. Kellgren and J. S. Lawrence. "Radiological assessment of osteo-arthrosis," Ann Rheum Dis, Vol.16, No.4, pp.494-502, 1957. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.16.4.494
- L. A. Livingston, "The quadriceps angle: a review of the literature," J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.28, No.2, pp.105-109, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19184.108.40.206
- Houglum and A. Peggy, Therepeutic Exercise for Athletic Injuries, Human Kinetics, 2001.
- J. D. Spencer, K. C. Hayes, and I. J. Alexander, "Knee joint effusion and quadriceps reflex inhibition in man," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.65, No.4, pp.171-177, 1984.
- J. Insall, "Current Concepts Review: patellar pain," J Bone Joint Surg Am, Vol.64, No.1, pp.147-152, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198264010-00023
- M. Ogino, N. Shiba, T. Maeda, K. Iwasa, Y. Taqawa, S. Matsuo, H. Nishimura, T. Yamamoto, K. Naqata, and J. R. Basford, "MRI quantification of muscle activity after volitional exercise and neuromuscular electrical stimulation," Am J Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.81, No.6, pp.446-451, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002060-200206000-00009
- M. Fransen, "When is physiotherapy appropriate?," Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol, Vol.18, No.4, pp.477-489, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2004.03.006
- M. Delle, P. Thoren, J. O. Skarphedinsson, P. Hoffman, S. Carlsson, and S. Ricksten, "Differentiated responses of renal and adrenal sympathetic nerve activity to intravenous morphine administration in anesthetized rats," J Pharmacol Exp Ther, Vol.253, No.2, pp.655-660, 1990.
- 한상완, "무릎넙다리 동통증후군 환자의 8주간 재활운동과 신경근전기자극치료가 통증척도와 기능적 수행능력에 미치는 영향", 한국전문물리치료학회지, 제11권, 제3호, pp.33-42, 2004.
- N. M. Fisher, D. R. Pendergast, G. E. Gresham, and E. Calkins, "Muscle rehabilitation: its effect on muscular and functional performance of patients with knee osteoarthritis," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.72, No.6, pp.367-374, 1991.
- L. Sharma, D. D. Dunlop, S. Cahue, J. Song, and K. W. Hayes, "Quadriceps strength and osteoarthritis progression in malaligned and lax knees," Ann Intern Med, Vol.138, No.8, pp.613-619, 2003. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-138-8-200304150-00006
- L. A. Talbot, J. M. Gaines, S. M. Ling, and E. J. Metter, "A home-based protocol of electrical muscle stimulation for quadriceps muscle strength in older adults with osteoarthritis of the knee," J Rheumatol, Vol.30, No.7, pp.1571-1578, 2003.
- J. E. Stevens, R. L. Mizner, and L. Snyder- Mackler, "Neuromuscular electrical stimulation for quadriceps muscle strengthening after bilateral total knee arthroplasty: a case series," J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.34, No.1, pp.21-29, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2004.34.1.21
- M. R. Devan, L. S. Pescatello, P. Faghri, and J. Anderson, "A Prospective Study of Overuse Knee Injuries Among Female Athletes With Muscle Imbalances and Structural Abnormalities," J Athl Train, Vol.39, No.3, pp.263-267, 2004.
- G. M. Karst and P. D. Jewett, "Electromyographic analysis of exercises proposed for defferential activation of medial and lateral quadriceps femoris muscle components," Phys Ther, Vol.73, No.5, pp.286-295, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/73.5.286
- I. Hvid, L. I. Andersen, and H. Schmidt, "Chondromalacia patellae. The relation to abnormal patellofemoral joint mechanics," Acta Orthop Scand, Vol.52, No.6, pp.661-666, 1981. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453678108992164