- Volume 55 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Mobility Characteristics of Veterinary Antibiotics in Soil Column
토주실험에서 동물용 의약품의 이동 특성
- Hwang, Sun-Young (Department of Bio-environmental Chemistry, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Han, Man-Hye (R&D Coordination Division, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Cho, Jae-Young (Department of Bio-environmental Chemistry, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.08.16
- Accepted : 2012.08.27
- Published : 2012.12.31
Veterinary antibiotics can enter the soil ecosystem and then may be transported into groundwater via leaching process. The main aim of this study is to investigate the distribution and mobility of tetracycline, amoxicillin and sulfathiazole in soil. The adsorption of veterinary antibiotics were applied to the Freundlich adsorption isotherms. Adsorption coefficient (
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Bell RB (1978) Antibiotic resistance patterns of fecal coliforms isolated from domestic sewage before and after treatment in an aerobic lagoon. Can J Microbiol 24, 886-8. https://doi.org/10.1139/m78-147
- Blackwell P, Kay P, and Boxall ABA (2007) The dissipation and transport of veterinary antibiotics in a sandy loam soil. Chemosphere 67, 292-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.09.095
- Boxall ABA, Blackwell P, Cavallo R, Kay P, and Tolls J (2002) The sorption and transport of a sulphonamide antibiotic in soil systems. Toxicol Lett 131, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(02)00063-2
- Christian T, Schneider RJ, Frber HA, Skutlarek D, Meyer MT, and Goldbach HE (2003) Determination of antibiotics residues in manure, soil, and surface waters. Acta hydrochim hydrobiol 31, 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/aheh.200390014
- Grabowa WOK, Zyla M, and Prozesky OW (1976) Behaviour in conventional sewage purification processes of coliform bacteria with transferable or non-transferable drug-resistance. Water Res 10, 717-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(76)90010-5
- Hamscher G, Sczesny S, Höper H, and Nau H (2002) Determination of persistent tetracycline residues in soil fertilized with liquid manure by high-performance liquid chromatography with electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 74, 1509-18. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac015588m
- Hilpert R, Winter J, Hammes W, and Kandler O (1981) The sensitivity of archaebacteria to antibiotics. Hyg 1, 211-20.
- Kahle M and Stamm C (2007) Time and pH-dependent sorption of the veterinary antimicrobial sulfathiazole to clay minerals and ferrihydrite. Chemosphere 68, 1224-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.01.061
- Kakimoto T, Osawa T, and Funamizu N (2007) Antibiotic effect of amoxicillin on the feces composting process and reactivation of bacteria by intermittent feeding of feces. Bioresoure Technol 98, 3555-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.11.029
- Karci A and Balcioglu IA (2009) Investigation of the tetracycline, sulfonamide, and fluoroquinolone antimicrobial compounds in animal manure and agricultural soils in Turkey. Sci Total Environ 407, 4652-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.04.047
- Kay P, Blackwell PK, and Boxall ABA (2005) Column studies to investigate the fate of veterinary antibiotics in clay soils following slurry application to agricultural land. Chemosphere 60, 497-507. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.01.028
- Kim SC and Carlson K (2007) Quantification of human and veterinary antibiotics in water and sediment using SPE/LC/MS/MS. Anal Bio Chem 387, 1301-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-006-0613-0
- Kim SJ (2002) A study on the adsorption behavior of phosphorous in soils. MS Thesis, Sunchon National University, Sunchon, Korea.
- Kim YK (2011) The adsorption of veterinary pharmaceuticals in two different soils. MS thesis, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea.
- Laak TL, Gebbink WA, and Tolls J (2006) The effect of pH and ionic strength on the sorption of sulfachloropyridazine, tylosin, and oxytetracycline to soil. Environ Toxicol Chem 25, 904-11. https://doi.org/10.1897/05-232R.1
- Lee HY, Lim JE, Kim SC, Kim KR, Kwon OK, Yang JE et al. (2009) Transport of selected veterinary antibiotics (tetracyclines and sulfonamides) in a sandy loam soil: laboratory-scale soil column experiments. J Korean Soc Environ Eng 31, 1105-12.
- Li LL, Huang LD, Chung RS, For KH, and Zhang YS (2010) Sorption and dissipation of tetracyclines in soils and compost. Pedosphere 20, 807-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1002-0160(10)60071-9
- Lim JE, Kim SC, Lee HY, Kwon OK, Yang JE, and Ok YS (2009) Occurrence and distribution of selected veterinary antibiotics in soils, sediments and water adjacent to a cattle manure composting facility in Korea. J Korean Soc Environ Eng 31, 845-54.
- Lindsey ME, Meyer M, and Thurman EM (2001) Analysis of trace levels of sulfonamide and tetracycline antimicrobials in groundwater and surface water using solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 73, 4640-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac010514w
- Malik A and Ahmad M (1994) Incidence of drug and metal resistance in E. coli strains from sewage water and soil. Chem Environ Res 3, 3-11.
- Migliore L, Brambilla G, Cozzolino S, and Gaudio L (1995) Effect on plants of sulphadimethoxine used in intensive farming (Panicum miliaceum, Pisum sativum and Zea mays). Agric Ecosys Environ 52, 103-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8809(94)00549-T
- Poels J, Assche PV, and Verstraete W (1984) Effects of disinfectants and antibiotics on the anaerobic digestion of piggery waste. Agri Wastes 9, 239-47 https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-4607(84)90083-0
- Rabolle M and Spliid NH (2000) Sorption and mobility of metronidazole, olaquindox, oxytetracycline and tylosin in soil. Chemosphere 40, 715- 22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00442-7
- Radtke TM and Gist GL (1989) Wastewater sludge disposal - antibiotic resistant bacteria may pose health hazard. J Environ Health 52, 102-5.
- Rural Development Administration (2010) Treatment technology of livestock manure in Korea. Suwon, Korea.
- Sarmah AK, Meyer MT, and Boxall ABA (2006) A global perspective on the use, sales, exposure pathways, occurrence, fate and effects of veterinary antibiotics (VAs) in the environment. Chemosphere 65, 725-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2006.03.026
- Seo YH, Choi JK, Kim SK, Min HK, and Jung YS (2007) Prioritizing environmental risks of veterinary antibiotics based on the use and the potential to reach environment. Korean J Soil Sci Fert 40, 43-50.
- Thiele-Bruhn S (2003) Pharmaceutical antibiotic compounds in soils-a review. J Plant Nutr Soil Sci 166, 145-67. https://doi.org/10.1002/jpln.200390023
- Thiele-Bruhn S and Aust MO (2004) Effects of pig slurry on the sorption of sulfonamide antibiotics in soil. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 47, 31-9.
- Tomei FA, James DW, Maki S, and Mitchell R (1988) Presence of an unusual methanogenic bacterium in coal gasification waste. Appl Environ Microbiol 54, 2964-70.
- Varel VH and Hashimoto AG (1982) Methane production by fermentor cultures acclimated to waste from cattle fed monensin, lasalocid, salinomycin, or avoparcin. Appl Environ Microbiol 44, 29-34.
- Xu XR and Li XY (2010) Sorption and desorption of antibiotic tetracycline on marine sediments. Chemosphere 78, 430-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.10.045