- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant and Whitening Activities of Various Cultivars of Korean Unripe Peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch)
국내산 복숭아 유과의 품종별 항산화 활성 및 미백활성 평가
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Da-Mi (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, Sung-Ryul (Dept. of Clinical Laboratory Science, Semyung University) ;
- Yook, Hong-Sun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.10.11
- Accepted : 2012.01.05
- Published : 2012.02.29
This study was carried out to investigate the biological activities, including the total polyphenolic contents, antioxidant activities, and tyrosinase inhibition activities, of various cultivars of unripe peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch). The results indicate that the total polyphenolic content (gallic acid equivalent mg/g) was the highest in Yumefuji among six-cultivars (Takinosawa Gold, Kawanakawase Hakuto, Madoka, Yumefuji, Nagasawa Hakuho, and Hong Bak) of unripe peaches, whereas it was the lowest in Madoka. Antioxidant effects of unripe peaches were determined in three different in vitro bioassays measuring DPPH radical scavenging, ABTS radical scavenging, and reducing power activity. In the results, antioxidant activity was also higher in Yumefuji than other cultivars. Tyrosinase inhibition activity ranged from 4.65% to 8.58%, and Hong Bak displayed the highest tyrosinase inhibition activity, although the difference was not significant. This study will provide information on antioxidant and tyrosinase inhibition activities for the development of natural compounds as functional cosmetics.
- Papa S, Skulachev VP. 1997. Reactive oxygen species, mitochondria, apoptosis and aging. Mol Cell Biochem 174: 305-319. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006873518427
- Block G. 1993. Vitamin C, cancer, and aging. Age 16: 55-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02435037
- Feskanich D, Ziegler RG, Michaud DS, Giovannucci EL, Speizer FE, Willett WC, Colditz GA. 2000. Prospective study of fruit and vegetable consumption and risk of lung cancer among men and women. J Natl Cancer Inst 92: 1812-1823. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/92.22.1812
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM. 1990. Role of free radicals and catalytic metal ions in human disease: an overview. Method Enzymol 186: 1-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(90)86093-B
- Regnstrm J, Nilsson J, Tornvall P, Landou C, Hamsten A. 1992. Susceptibility to low-density lipoprotein oxidation and coronary atherosclerosis in man. Lancet 339: 1183-1186. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(92)91129-V
- Gey KF, Puska P, Jordan P, Moser UK. 1991. Inverse correlation between plasma vitamin E and mortality from ischemic heart disease in cross-cultural epidemiology. Am J Clin Nutr 53: 326-334. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/53.1.326S
- Abuja PM, Albertini R. 2001. Methods for monitoring oxidative stress, lipid peroxidation and oxidation resistance of lipoproteins. Clin Chim Acta 306: 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(01)00393-X
- Ames BN. 1989. Endogenous DNA damage as related to cancer and aging. Mutat Res 214: 41-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(89)90196-6
- Lim AK, Jung YJ, Kim KS, Kim YH, Kwak JH, Hong JH, Kim HY, Kim DI. 2010. Skin UVB photo aging effect from extract of fermented Reynoutria elliptica. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 369-375. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.369
- Park JD, Hong SI, Park HW, Kim DM. 1999. Modified atmosphere packaging of peaches (Prunus persica L. Batsch) for distribution at ambient temperature. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1227-1234.
- Click! Select the cultivar of peaches in the 21st century. 2002. National Institute of Horticultural and Berbal Science. Rural Development Administration. Gyeonggi-do, Korea.
- Korea Rural Economic Institute. http://aglook.krei.re.kr/down/oy2012/hwp/2012oy21_hwp.pdf.
Hirano A, Ueda R, Hirayama S, Ogushi Y. 1997.
$CO_2$fixation and ethanol production with microalgal photosynthesis and intracellular anaerobic fermentation. Energy 22: 137-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-5442(96)00123-5
- Saha BC, Cotta MA. 2007. Enzymatic saccharification and fermentation of alkaline peroxide pretreated rice hulls to ethanol. Enzyme Microb Technol 41: 528-532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2007.04.006
- Hahn-Hagerdal B, Galbe M, Gorwa-Grauslund MF, Liden G, Zacchi G. 2006. Bio-ethanol－the fuel of tomorrow from the residues of today. Trends Biotechnol 24: 549-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tibtech.2006.10.004
- Han HJ, Kim SJ. 2006. Isolation and characterization of a strain for economical ethanol production. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 21: 267-272.
- Do JR, Nam YJ, Park JH, Jo JH. 1997. Studies on chemical composition of red algae. J Korean Fish Soc 30: 428-431.
- Folin O, Denis W. 1912. On phosphotungstic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J Biol Chem 12: 239-243.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Oyaizu M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reaction: antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Japan J Nutr 44: 307-315. https://doi.org/10.5264/eiyogakuzashi.44.307
- Kim MS, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2009. The effects of gamma irradiation on the microbiological, physicochemical and sensory quality of peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch cv Dangeumdo). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 364-371. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.364
- Kubota N, Yakushiji H, Nishiyama N, Mimura H, Shimamura K. 2001. Phenolic contents and L-phenylalanine ammonia- lyase activity in peach fruit as affected by rootstocks. J Japan Soc Hort Sci 70: 151-156. https://doi.org/10.2503/jjshs.70.151
- Hong JY, Nam HS, Kim NW, Shin SR. 2006. Change on the components of Elaeagnus multiflora fruits during maturation. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 228-233.
- Hong JY, Nam HS, Shin SR. 2010. Changes on the antioxidant activities of extracts from the Ziziphus jujube miller fruits during maturation. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 712-719.
- Kang YJ, Yang MH, Ko WJ, Park SR, Lee BG. 2005. Studies on the major components and antioxidative properties of whole fruit powder and juice prepared from premature mandarin orange. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 783-788.
- Marinova D, Ribarova F, Atanassova M. 2005. Total phenolics and total flavonoids in Bulgarian fruits and vegetables. J Univ Chem Technol Metall 40: 255-260.
- Wang MF, Li JG, Rangarajan M, Shao Y, LaVoie EJ, Huang TC, Ho CT. 1998. Antioxidative phenolic compounds from sage (Salvia officinalis). J Agric Food Chem 46: 4869-4873. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980614b
- Lee SA, Kim KH, Kim MS, Park NK, Yook HS. 2008. Microbial and physico-chemical characteristics of a Maesil (Prunus mume ) treated with low levels of gamma rays. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 989-996.
- Park Y, Choi S, Kim SH, Han J, Chung HG. 2007. Changes in antioxidant activity, total phenolics and vitamin C content during fruit ripening in Rubus occidentalis. Korean J Plant Res 20: 461-465.
- Cha HS, Youn AR, Park PJ, Choi HR, Kim BS. 2007. Comparison of physiological activities of Rubus coreanus Miquel during maturation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 683-688. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.683
- Jo JE, Yook HS, Kim KH, Baek JY, Moon YJ, Park SJ, Jang SA. 2010. Effect of drying methods and gamma irradiation on the color changes and antioxidant activity of grape by-products. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1826-1831. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1826
- Lee YS, Yoon HG, Kim NW. 2010. The physiological activities of ripe fruit of Poncirus trifoliata. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 698-705.
- Park YS, Park YJ, Kim HJ, Im MH, Lee MK, Kim YM, Cho JY, Heo BG. 2008. Physiological activity of ethanol extract from the different plant parts of loquat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.). Korean J Hort Sci Technol 26: 75-80.
- Park YS, Kim BW, Kim TC, Jang HG, Chon SU, Cho JY, Jiang SH, Heo BG. 2008. Physiological activity of methanol extracts from Korean kiwifruits. Korean J Hort Sci Technol 26: 495-500.
- Whitening Effect of Androsace umbellata Extract vol.41, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15230/SCSK.2015.41.1.21
- Quality Changes in Unripe Peaches Jangachi according to Cultivar during Storage vol.41, pp.11, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.11.1577
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Peach Makphyun vol.43, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.11.1724
- Quality Characteristics of Madeleine with Peach(Prunus persica L. Batsch) Juice vol.25, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.664
- Comparison of Melanogenesis-Inhibiting Activity by Extracts of Prunus persica Flower and Calyx vol.19, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.6.946
- Quality Properties of Peach Pudding Added with Korean Peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) Juice and Gelatin vol.43, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.265
- Study on the Antioxidant Activity in the Various Vegetables vol.28, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2013.28.4.337
- Storage Characteristics and Retrogradation Property of Makphyun Containing Peach vol.30, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.5.531
- Antioxidative Activities and Whitening Effects of Solvent Fraction from Prunus davidiana (Carriere) Franch. Fruit vol.41, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.10.1363