- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Isoflavonoid Contents, Antibacterial Activities, and Physiological Activities of Cheonggukjang Made from Sword Bean
작두콩 첨가 청국장의 Isoflavonoids 함량과 항균력 및 생리활성
- Kim, Un-Sung (Quality Improvement Evaluation Team, Korea Health Industry Development Institute) ;
- Kim, Jae-Young (Dept. of Food Safety Evaluation, National Institute of Food & Drug Safety Evaluation, Korea Food & Drug Adminstration) ;
- Kim, Seong-Jo (Dept. of Food and Environmental Sciences, Wonkwang University) ;
- Moon, Kwang-Hyun (Dept. of Health and Longevity, Sunchang County Office) ;
- Baek, Seung-Hwa (Dept. of Biofood Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk Provincial University)
- 김운성 (한국보건산업진흥원 품질향상평가팀) ;
- 김재영 (식품의약품안전청 식품의약품안전평가원) ;
- 김성조 (원광대학교 식품.환경학과) ;
- 문광현 (순창군청 건강장수과) ;
- 백승화 (충북도립대학교 바이오식품생명과학과)
- Received : 2011.11.15
- Accepted : 2011.12.28
- Published : 2012.02.29
This research aimed to examine the isoflavonoid contents, antibacterial activities, and physiological activities of Cheonggukjang made from sword bean (CS). The effects of adding sword bean were compared with those of raw materials (RM), steamed materials (SM), and traditional Cheonggukjang (TC). In the case of the antibacterial activity on Gram-positive bacteria, the result of CS in ethanol extract was the highest in Bacillus cereus, and the result of water extract was the highest in Staphylococcus aureus. However, in the case of Gram-negative bacteria, Salmonella Typhimurium was the highest in all the extraction. Antioxidant activity and total flavonoid contents were present in the order of TC
- Chung DH. 1999. Soybean science. Taekwang Publish, Seoul, Korea. p 56-77.
- KFDA. 2010. Food code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Cheongwon-gun, Korea. p 5.20.2.
- Smartt J. 1990. Grain legumes. Cambrige University Press, London, UK. p 301-309.
- Cho YS, Seo KI, Shim KH. 2000. Antimicrobial activities of Korean sword bean (Canavalia gladiata) extracts. Korean J Food Preserv 7: 113-116.
- Chang MI, Kim JY, Kim SJ, Baek SH. 2011. Effect of sword bean Chunggukjang addition on quality of Kochujang. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1292-1299. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.9.1292
- Lee SZ. 1994. Bonchogangmok. Eusungdang press, Seoul, Korea. p 585.
- Cho YS, Bae YI, Shim KH. 1999. Chemical components in different parts of Korean sword bean (Canavalia gladiata). Korean J Food Preserv 6: 475-480.
- Moon JH, Terao J. 1998. Antioxidant activity of caffeic acid and dihydrocaffeic acid in lard and human low-density lipoprotein. J Agric Food Chem 46: 5062-5065. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9805799
- Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2000. Handbook of experiments in food science and nutrition. Hyoil, Seoul, Korea. p 285-286.
- Wang SF, Ridsdill TJ, Ghisalberti EL. 1999. Level of isoflavonoids as indicators of resistance of subterranean clover trifoliates to redlegged earth mite Halotydeus destructor. J Chem Ecol 25: 795-803. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020840616583
- Cushman DW, Cheung HS, Sabo EF, Ondetti MA. 1977. Design of potent competitive inhibitors of angiotensin converting enzyme. Biochem 16: 5484-5491. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi00644a014
- Kim HB. 2003. Chunggukjang diet and health method. Human & Books, Seoul, Korea. p 43.
- KFDA. 2010. Food code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Cheongwon-gun, Korea. p 2.1.8.
- Youn HK, Choi HS, Hur SH, Hong JH. 2001. Antimicrobial activities of viscous substance from Chongkukjang fermented with different Bacillus spp. J Fd Hyg Safety 16: 188-193.
- Lee HY, Jeong HS. 2005. Isolation and identification of antimicrobial substance from Canavalia gladiata. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 268-274.
- Natella F, Nardini M, Felice MD, Scaccini C. 1999. Benzoic acid and cinnamic acid derivatives as antioxidants: structure-activity relation. J Agric Food Chem 47: 1453-1459. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980737w
- Kweon MH, Hwang HJ, Sung HC. 2001. Identification and antioxidant of novel chlorogenic acid derivatives from bamboo (Phyllostachys edulis). J Agric Food Chem 49: 4646-4655. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010514x
- Kwak CS, Kim MY, Kim SA, Lee MS. 2006. Cytotoxicity on human cancer cells and antitumorigenesis of Chungkookjang, a fermented soybean product, in DMBA-treated rats. Korean J Nutr 39: 347-356.
- Moon GS, Cheigh HS. 1986. Antioxidative effect of soybean sauce on the lipid oxidation of cooked meat. Korean J Food Sci Technol 18: 313-318.
- Moon GS, Cheigh HS. 1987. Antioxidative characteristics of soybean sauce in lipid oxidation process. Korean J Food Sci Technol 19: 537-541.
- Moon GS, Cheigh HS. 1990. Separation and characteristics of antioxidative substances in fermented soybean sauce. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 461-465.
- Wikipedia. 2011. Flavonoid. Avaliable from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/flavonoid. Accessed July 26, 2011.
- Toda T, Uesugi T, Hirai K, Nukaya H, Tsuji K, Ishida H. 1999. New 6-O-acyl isoflavone glycosides from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis (Natto). Biol Pharm Bull 22: 1193-1201. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.22.1193
- Matsuura M, Obata A, Fukushima D. 1989. Objectionable flavor of soy milk developed during the soaking of soybeans and its control. J Food Sci 54: 602-605. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb04662.x
- Kudou S, Fleury Y, Welti D, Magnolato D, Uchida T, Kitamura K, Okubo K. 1991. Malonyl isoflavone glycosides in soybean seeds (Glycine max Merrill). Agric Biol Chem 55: 2227-2233. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.55.2227
- Toda T, Sakamoto A, Takayanagi T, Yokotsuka K. 2000. Changes in isoflavone compositions of soybean foods during cooking process. Food Sci Technol Res 6: 314-319. https://doi.org/10.3136/fstr.6.314
- Whitten PL, Kudo S, Okubo K. 1997. Isoflavonoids. In Handbook of plant and fungal toxicants. CRC press, FL, USA. p 117-137.
- Hegnauer R, Grayer-Barkmeijer RJ. 1993. Relevance of seed polysaccharides and flavonoids for the classification of the leguminosae: a chemotaxonomic approach. Phytochemistry 34: 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)90776-3
- Jang CH, Lim JK, Kim JH, Park CS, Kwon DY, Kim YS, Shin DH, Kim JS. 2006. Change of isoflavone content during manufacturing of cheonggukjang, a traditional Korean fermented soyfood. Food Sci Biotechnol 15: 643-646.
- Shon MY, Seo KI, Park SK, Cho YS, Sung NJ. 2001. Some biological activities and isoflavone content of Chungkugjang prepared with black beans and Bacillus strains. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 662-667.
- Lim SI, Choi SY, Cho GH. 2006. Effects of functional ingredients addition on quality characteristics of Kochujang. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 779-784.
- Brunner HR, Gavras H, Waeber B, Kershaw GR, Turini GA, Vukovich RA, McKinstry DN, Gavras I. 1982. Oral angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor in long-term treatment of hypertensive patients. Ann Intern Med 90: 19-23.
- Atkinson AB, Brown JJ, Cumming AM, Fraser R, Lever AF, Leckie BJ, Morton JJ, Robertson JI, Davies DL. 1982. Captopril in the management of hypertension with renal artery stenosis: its long-term effect as a predictor of surgical outcome. Am J Cardiol 49: 1460-1466. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9149(82)90361-7
- Shin ZI, Ahn CW, Nam HS, Lee HJ, Lee HJ, Moon TH. 1995. Fractionation of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory peptides from soybean paste. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 230-234.
- Okamoto A, Hanagata H, Kawamura Y, Yanagida F. 1995. Anti-hypertensive substances in fermented soybean, natto. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 47: 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01088165
- Nevala R, Vaskonen T, Jani Vehniäinen J, Korpela R, Vapaatalo H. 2000. Soy based diet attenuates the development of hypertension when compared to casein based diet in spontaneously hypertensive rat. Life Sci 66: 115-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(99)00569-X
- Wu J, Ding X. 2001. Hypotensive and physiological effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory peptides derived from soy protein on spontaneously hypertensive rats. J Agric Food Chem 49: 501-506. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000695n
- Martin DS, Breitkopf NP, Eyster KM, Williams JL. 2001. Dietary soy exerts an antihypertensive effect in spontaneously hypertensive female rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 281: R553-560. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpregu.2001.281.2.R553
- Kim SD. 2005. Antimicrobial and ACE inhibitory activities of Chungkukjangs prepared with various Bacillus sp. isolated from traditional Chungkukjang. Nat Sci Res Thesis Coll 3: 79-85.
- Effect of Cheonggukjang Made from Sword Bean on Serum Lipid Profile and Tissue Change in Rats vol.56, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2013.035
- Changes in Isoflavones Contents and Germination Characteristics of Germinated Soybeans [Glycine max.] under Light Condition vol.29, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.6.599
- Enhancement of the Anti-hyperglycemic and Antioxidant Activities of Five Selected Beans by the Germination Process vol.25, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.2.246
- Antioxidant, Tyrosinase Inhibitory, and Anti-proliferative Activities of Gochujang Added with Cheonggukjang Powder Made from Sword Bean vol.45, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.2.221
- Antioxidative Activity of Cheonggukjang Prepared with Purple Sweet Potato vol.46, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.2.224
- Change in phytoestrogen contents and antioxidant activity during fermentation of Cheonggukjang with bitter melon vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.1.119
- A comparison of antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activities of sword beans and soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis vol.6, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1039/C5FO00290G