- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Aqueous Extract of Rubus coreanus Miquel Improves Scopolamine-Induced Memory Impairment in ICR Mice
마우스에서 복분자 물추출물의 기억력 감퇴에 대한 개선 효과
- Choi, Mi-Ran (Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University) ;
- Lee, Min-Young (Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University) ;
- Hong, Ji-Eun (Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University) ;
- Lee, Jae-Yong (Dept. of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, Hallym University) ;
- Chun, Jang-Woo (Research and Development Center, Hitejinro Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hwan (Research and Development Center, Hitejinro Co., Ltd.) ;
- Shin, Hyun-Kyung (Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University) ;
- Kim, Eun-Ji (Center for Efficacy Assessment and Development of Functional Foods and Drugs, Hallym University)
- 최미란 (한림대학교 식의약품의 효능평가 및 기능성소재개발센터) ;
- 이민영 (한림대학교 식의약품의 효능평가 및 기능성소재개발센터) ;
- 홍지은 (한림대학교 식의약품의 효능평가 및 기능성소재개발센터) ;
- 이재용 (한림대학교 의과대학 생화학교실) ;
- 전장우 (하이트진로주식회사 중앙연구소) ;
- 김태환 (하이트진로주식회사 중앙연구소) ;
- 신현경 (한림대학교 식의약품의 효능평가 및 기능성소재개발센터) ;
- 김은지 (한림대학교 식의약품의 효능평가 및 기능성소재개발센터)
- Received : 2011.11.15
- Accepted : 2011.12.27
- Published : 2012.02.29
In the present study, we examined the effect of the aqueous extract of Rubus coreanus Miquel (RCM-Ex) on scopolamine-induced memory impairment in male ICR mice. Mice were fed the diet containing 100 mg/kg body weight/day of RCM-Ex for 4 weeks. To induce amnesia, scopolamine (an antagonist of muscarinic acetylcholine receptor, 1 mg/kg of body weight) was intraperitoneally injected into mice 30 min before starting the behavior tests. RCM-Ex reversed scopolamine-induced memory impairments in mice as evidence by the passive avoidance test and Morris water maze test. In addition, acetylcholineasterase activities were decreased in the brains of mice treated with RCM-Ex. These results suggest that RCM-Ex may be an effective agent for the prevention of the memory impairment induced by cholinergic dysfunction.
- Oh SK. 2005. Neurotrasmetters and Brain Disease. Shinil Books company, Seoul, Korea. p 345-364.
- Park CW. 1998. Brain: Structure of Learning and Memory. Seoul National University Press, Seoul, Korea. p 115-128.
- Kasa P, Papp H, Kasa P Jr, Torok I. 2000. Donepezil dosedependently inhibits acetylcholinesterase activity in various areas and in the presynaptic cholinergic and the post synaptic cholinoceptive enzyme-positive structures in the human and rat brain. Neuroscience 101: 89-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4522(00)00335-3
- Kuhl DE, Koeppe RA, Minoshima S, Snyder SE, Ficaro EP, Foster NL, Frey KA, Kibourn MR. 1999. In vivo mapping od cerebral acetylcholinesterase activity in aging and Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 52: 691-699. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.52.4.691
- Davies P, Maloney AJ. 1976. Selective loss of central cholinergic neurons in Alzhemer's disease. Lancet 2: 1457-1459.
- Francis PT, Palmer AM, Snape M, Wilcock GK. 1999. The cholinergic hypothesis of Alzhemer's disease: a review of progress. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 66: 137-147. https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.66.2.137
- Bartus RT. 2000. On neurodegenerative diseases, models, and treatment strategies: lessons learned and lessons forgotten a generation following the cholinergic hypothesis. Exp Neurol 163: 495-529. https://doi.org/10.1006/exnr.2000.7397
- Ebert U, Kirch W. 1998. Scopolamine model of dementia: electroencephalogram findings and cognitive performance. Eur J Clin Invest 28: 944-949. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2362.1998.00393.x
- Cha HS, Lee MK, Hwang JB, Park KM. 2001. Physicochemical characteristics of Rubus coreanus Miquel. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 1021-1025.
- Dan B, Andrew G. 1993. Chinese herbal medicine: materia medica. Eastland Press, Seattle, WA, USA. Vol 8, p 375-392.
- Lee YA, Lee MW. 1995 Tannins from Rubus coreanum. Korean J Pharmacong 26: 27-30.
- Lee MW. 1995. Phenoic compounds from the leaves of Rubus coreanum. Yakhak Hoeji 39: 200-204.
- Kim MS, Pang GC, Lee MW. 1997. Flavonoids from the leaves of Rubus coreanum. Yakhak Hoiji 41: 1-6.
- Pang GC, Kim MS, Lee MW. Hydrolyzable tannins from the fruits of Rubus coreanum. Korean J Pharmacogn 27: 366-370.
- Yoon I, Wee JH, Moon JH, Ahn TH, Park KH. 2003. Isolation and identification of quercetin with antioxidative activity from the fruits of Rubus coreanum miquel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 499-502.
- Choe M, Shin GJ, Choi GP, Do JH, Kim JD. 2003. Synergistic effects of extracts from Korean red ginseng, Saururus chinensis (Lour.) Baill. and Rubus coreanus Miq. on antioxidative activities in rats. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 11: 148-154.
- Won KS, Lee TW, Eun JS, Song JM. 2003. Effect of Rubus coreanus Miquel on the specific immune response in mice. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology 17: 656-661.
- Yang HM, Lim YS, Lee TS, Shin HK, Oh YS, Kim JK. 2007. Comparison of the anti-inflammatory effects of the extracts from Rubus coreanus and Rubus occidentalis. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 342-347.
- Kim EJ, Lee YJ, Shin HK, Park JH. 2005. Induction of apoptosis by the aqueous extract of Rubus coreanum in HT-29 human colon cancer cells. Nutrition 21: 1141-1148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.02.012
- Lee KK, Han JH, Oh CH. 2009. Effect of Rubus coreanus Miquel on the apoptosis of U937 cells. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology 23: 1404-1408.
- Jeon YH, Choi SW, Kim MR. 2009. Antimutagenic and cytotoxic activity of ethanol and water extracts from Rubus coreanum. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 379-386.
- Choi WH, Ahn JH, Kim S, Ha TY. 2009. Cherry tomatoes ameliorate scopolamine-induced amnesia in mice. J Food Sci Nutr 13: 281-285. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2008.13.4.281
- LeDoux JE. 1993. Emotional memory systems in the brain. Behav Brqain Res 58: 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/0166-4328(93)90091-4
- Morris R. 1984. Developments of a water-maze procedure for studying spatial learning in the rat. J Neurosci Methods 11: 47-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0270(84)90007-4
- Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres V Jr, Feather-stone RM. 1961. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 7: 88-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(61)90145-9
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Kim JM, Kim DH, Park SJ, Jung JW, Ryu JH. 2010. Memory enhancing properties of the ethanolic extract of black sesame and its ameliorating properties on memory impairments in mice. Kor J Pharmacogn 41: 196-203.
- Park SJ, Park DS, Kim SS, He X, Ahn JH, Yoon WB, Lee HY. 2010. The effect of fermented Codonopsis lanceolata on the memory impairment of mice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1691-1694. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.11.1691
- Giacobini E. 1990. The cholinergic system in Alzhemer's disease. Prog Brain Res 84: 321-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6123(08)60916-4
- Braida D, Paladini E, Griffini p, Lamperti M, Maggi A, Sala M. 1996. An invenrted U-sharped curve for heptylphysostigmine on radial maze performmance in rats: comparision with other cholinesterase inhibitors. Eur J Pharmacol 302: 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-2999(96)00072-6
- Dawson GR, Bentley G, Draper F, Rycroft W, Iveesen SD, Pagella PG. 1991. The behavioral effects of heptyl physostigmine: a new cholinesterase inhibitor, in tests of longterm and working memory in rodents. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 39: 865-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-3057(91)90045-4
- Screening of Biogenic Amine Non-Producing Yeast and Optimization of Culture Conditions Using Statistical Method for Manufacturing Black Raspberry Wine vol.44, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.592
- Comparison of the phenolic composition and antioxidant activity of Korean black raspberry, Bokbunja, (Rubus coreanus Miquel) with those of six other berries 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/19476337.2016.1219390
- Rubus coreanus Miquel Improves on Impairment of Memory in Senescence-Accelerated Mouse (SAM) vol.41, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1253
- Memory-improving Effects of Fermented Sea Tangle Saccharina japonica in Normal Mice vol.49, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2016.0131