- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Ethanol Extracts of Youngia denticulata and Youngia sonchifolia on the Serum and Hepatic Lipids and Activities of Ethanol Metabolizing Enzymes in Acute Ethanol-Treated Rats
이고들빼기 및 고들빼기 에탄올 추출물 첨가식이가 급성 에탄올 투여 흰쥐의 혈청과 간지질 및 알코올 대사 효소활성 변동에 미치는 영향
- Son, Jin-Chang (Gyeongsangbuk-do Government Public Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Kim, Sung-Hwan (Gyeongsangbuk-do Government Public Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Lee, Sang-Il (Dept. of Food, Nutrition & Culinary Arts, Keimyung College University) ;
- Lee, Ye-Kyung (Division of Bioscience and Bioinformatics, Myongji University) ;
- Kim, Soon-Dong (Division of Bioscience and Bioinformatics, Myongji University)
- 손진창 (경상북도 보건환경연구원) ;
- 김성환 (경상북도 보건환경연구원) ;
- 이상일 (계명문화대학 식품영양조리학부) ;
- 이예경 (명지대학교 생명과학정보학부) ;
- 김순동 (명지대학교 생명과학정보학부)
- Received : 2011.11.16
- Accepted : 2011.12.21
- Published : 2012.02.29
This study examined the protective effects of an ethanol extract of Youngia denticulata leaf (YDL) and Youngia denticulata root (YDR), and Youngia sonchifolia leaf (YSL) and Youngia sonchifolia root (YSR) on acute ethanol-intoxicated rat. The rats were pretreated with an ethanol extract of YDL, YDR, YSL and YSR for 4 weeks before being exposed to ethanol (5 g ethanol, po/kg BW). The biochemical indices (hepatic alcohol metabolic enzymes and serum ALT activities, and hepatic and serum lipid profiles) were examined to evaluate the protective effects. The hepatic ADH activities in all experimental groups were not changed significantly by acute ethanol after a pretreatment with the YS and YD ethanol extracts. In contrast, the ALDH activity in EC (ethanol control) was higher than that of NC (normal control); these activities in the YDL and YSL groups were significantly higher than that of the EC group. On the other hand, acute ethanol exposure resulted in a significant increase in the serum TG, total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, hepatic TG, total lipid and cholesterol levels, and serum ALT activity, and a decrease in the serum HDL-cholesterol. A pretreatment with the YS and YD ethanol extracts dramatically attenuated these adverse effects. In particular, the YDL pretreatment markedly suppressed the ethanol-induced increase in the serum and hepatic TG and total cholesterol levels. Furthermore, serum ethanol was decreased by a pretreatment with YSL, YSR, YDL, or YDR. Overall, YD and YS ethanol extracts attenuate acute ethanol-induced hyperlipidemia and fatty liver significantly. Nevertheless, further study will be needed.
- Lieber CS. 1997. Ethanol metabolism, cirrhosis and alcoholism. Clin Chim Acta 257: 59-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(96)06434-0
- Arteel G, Marsano L, Mendez C, Bentley F, McClain C. 2003. Advances in alcoholic liver disease. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 17: 625-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1521-6918(03)00053-2
- Williams R. 2006. Global challenges in liver disease. Hepatology 44: 521-526. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.21347
- Cunningham CC, Bailey SM. 2001. Ethanol consumption and liver mitochondria function. Biol Signals Recept 10: 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1159/000046892
- Lieber CS. 2004. Alcoholic fatty liver: its pathogenesis and mechanism of progression to inflammation and fibrosis. Alcohol 34: 9-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.alcohol.2004.07.008
- Das SK, Vasudevan DM. 2007. Alcohol-induced oxidative stress. Life Sci 81: 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2007.05.005
- Cederbaum AI. 1991. Microsomal generation of reactive oxygen species and their possible role in alcohol hepatotoxicity. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl 1: 291-296.
- Lieber CS. 1992. Medical and Nutritional Complications of Alcoholism: Mechanisms and Management. Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA. p 515-530.
- Lands WEM, Pawlosky RJ, Salem N. 1999. Alcoholism, antioxidant status and essential fatty acids. In Antioxidant Status, Diet, Nutrition and Health. Papas AM, ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 299-344.
- Mantle D, Preedy VR. 1999. Free radicals as mediators of alcohol toxicity. Adverse Drug React Toxicol Rev 18: 235-252.
- Das SK, Nayak P, Vasudevan DM. 2005. Consequences of ethanol consumption. J Indian Soc Toxicol 1: 1-10.
- Salmela KS, Kessova IG, Tsyrolv IB, Lieber CS. 1998. Respective roles of cytochrome P450 2E1, 1A2, and 3A4 in the hepatic microsomal ethanol oxidizing system. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: 2125-2132. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1530-0277.1998.tb05926.x
- Albano E. 2002. Free-radicals and alcohol-induced liver injury. In Ethanol and Liver. Sherman CDIN, Preedy VR, Walson RR, eds. Taylor and Francis, London, England. p 153-190.
- Lu Y, Cederbaum AI. 2008. CYP2E1 and oxidative liver injury by alcohol. Free Radic Biol Med 44: 723-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2007.11.004
- Bailey SM, Pietsch EC, Cunningham CC. 1999. Ethanol stimulates the production of reactive oxygen species at mitochondiral complexes I and III. Free Radic Biol Med 27: 891-900. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(99)00138-0
- Niemala O, Klajner F, Orrego H, Vidins E, Blendis L, Israel Y. 1987. Antibodies against cetaldehyde-modified protein epitopes in human alcoholics. Hepatology 7: 1210-1214. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.1840070607
- Lin RC, Smith RS, Lumeng L. 1988. Detection of a protein- acetaldehyde adduct in the liver of rats fed alcohol chronically. J Clin Invest 81: 615-619. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI113362
- Fang JL, Vaca CE. 1997. Detection of DNA adducts of acetaldehyde in peripheral white blood cells of alcohol abusers. Carcinogenesis 18: 627-632. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/18.4.627
- Mello T, Ceni E, Surrenti C, Galli A. 2008. Alcohol induced hepatic fibrosis: role of acetaldehyde. Mol Aspects Med 29: 17-21 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mam.2007.10.001
- Song JT, Jeong HB, Kim BW, So HS. 1989. Plant large handbook (resources side). Il-Dong Publishing Co., Incheon, Korea. p 334-336.
- Kim JG. 1992. I llustrated Natural Drugs Encyclopedia (Color edition). Nam San Dang Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. Vol 1, p 42-47.
- Choi YH. 1991. Studies on the constituents of the roots of Youngia sonchifolia Maxim. MS Thesis. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea.
- Kim MJ, Kim JS, Kang WH, Jeong DM. 2002. Effect on antimutagenic and cancer cell growth inhibition of Ixeris dentate Nakai. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 10: 139-143.
- Young HS, Choi JS, Lee JH. 1992. Further study on the anti-hyoercholesterolemic effect of Ixeris sonchifolia. Korean J Pharmacogn 23: 73-76.
- Bae SJ, Kim NH, Ha BJ, Jung BM, Roh SB. 1997. Effects of Godulbaegi leaf extracts on CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 137-143.
- Khanal T, Choi JH, Hwang YP, Chung YC, Jeong HG. 2009. Saponins isolated from the root of Platycodon grandiflorum protect against acute ethanol-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Food Chem Toxicol 47: 530-535. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.12.009
- Beutler HO. 1988. Ethanol. In Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. 3rd ed. Bergmeyer HU, ed. VCH Publishers, Cambridge, UK. Vol 4, p 598-606.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of the low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasm without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Folch J, Less M. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 497-509.
- Frings CS, Fendley TW, Dunn RT, Queen CA. 1972. Improved determination of total serum lipids by the sulfophospho-vanillin reaction. Clin Chem 18: 673-674.
- Koivula T, Koivusalo M, Lindros KO. 1975. Liver aldehyde and alcohol dehydogenase activities in rat strains genetically selected for their ethanol preference. Biochem Pharmacol 24: 1807-1811. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(75)90461-X
- Karmen A. 1955. A note on the spectrophotometric assay of glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase in human blood serum. J Clin Invest 34: 131-133.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RL. 1951. Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193: 265-275.
- Ryle PR, Chakraborty J, Thomson AD. 1986. The role of the hepatocellular redox state in the hepatic triglyceride accumulation following acute ethanol administration. Biochem Pharmacol 35: 3159-3164. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(86)90402-8
- Zeng T, Guo FF, Zhang CL, Zhao S, Dou DD, Gao XC, Xie KQ. 2008. The anti-fatty liver effects of garlic oil on acute ethanol-exposed mice. Chem Biol Interact 176: 234-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2008.07.004
- Demori I, Voci A, Fugassa E, Burlando B. 2006. Combined effects of high-fat diet and ethanol induce oxidative stress in rat liver. Alcohol 40: 185-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.alcohol.2006.12.006
- Choi JS, Yoon TJ, Kang KR, Lee KH, Kim WH, Suh YH, Song J, Jung MH. 2006. Glycoprotein isolated from Acanthopanax senticosus protects against hepatotoxicity induced by acute and chronic alcohol treatment. Biol Pharm Bull 29: 306-314. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.29.306
- Baraona E, Lieber CS. 1970. Effect of chronic ethanol feeding on serum lipoprotein metabolism in the rat. J Clin Invest 49: 769-778. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI106290
- Lee JS, Kim NY, Lee KH, Kim GS, Park HJ, Choi JW, Kim SH. 2000. Effects of flower of Pueraria lobata on lipid peroxidation and activities of alcohol metabolic enzymes in alcohol treated rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 935-942.
- De Ritis R, Giusti G, Piccinino F, Cacciatore L. 1965. Biochemical laboratory tests in viral hepatitis and other hepatic diseases: evaluation and follow-up. Bull World Health Organ 32: 59-72.
- Caballería J, Baraona E, Deulofeu R, Hernández-Muñoz R, Rodés J, Lieber CS. 1991. Effects of H2-receptor antagonists on gastric alcohol dehydrogenase activity. Dig Dis Sci 36: 1673-1679. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01296608
- Lieber CS, Gentry RT, Baraona E. 1994. First pass metabolism of ethanol. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl 2: 163-169.
- Pronko P, Bardina L, Satanovskaya V, Kuzmich A, Zimatkin S. 2002. Effect of chronic alcohol consumption on the ethanol- and acetaldehyde-metabolizing systems in the rat gastrointestinal tract. Alcohol Alcohol 37: 229-235. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/37.3.229
- Lee SI, Lee SH. 2008. The effect of ground cherry extract on the activity of hepatic aniline hydroxylase in mice. J Food Sci Nutr 13: 61-65. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2008.13.2.061
- Lieber CS. 2005. Metabolism of alcohol. Clin Liver Dis 9: 1-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cld.2004.10.005
- Effects of Gastrodiae rhizoma on the Liver Function and Alcohol Metabolism in Alcohol Treated Rats vol.32, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.6.818
- Hepatotoxicity Reducing Effect of Ethanol Extracts from Fermented Youngia denticulata Houtt Kitamura in Ethanol-treated Rats vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.10.26.5.389